Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now the big addition of V9 is blind spot detection and more or less no changes to EAP?

I mean, no user visible features, but don't discount how big of a deal this is. Using 8 cameras for Autopilot/Autosteer is a pretty big accomplishment, and we spent months doubting whether or not the current hardware could run more than 2 cameras' worth of neural nets. Around last December people were claiming adding rain sensing using the fisheye was making Autopilot perform worse, etc etc etc.

I mean, no user visible features, but don't discount how big of a deal this is. Using 8 cameras for Autopilot/Autosteer is a pretty big accomplishment, and we spent months doubting whether or not the current hardware could run more than 2 cameras' worth of neural nets. Around last December people were claiming adding rain sensing using the fisheye was making Autopilot perform worse, etc etc etc.

I wasn't judging. Just confirming I read it correctly. Frankly there's more useful stuff listed in the V9 update than there was in V8. (If we want to get judgy).

So blindspot monitoring is limited to FSD cars only? Ugh... I would've added that to my lease if I knew that was coming. Now my only option is a $5,000 "upgrade" on a lease. Great.

Where are you getting that idea from? (The release notes don't say that.)

No, it's for EAP cars.

I doubt it is even limited to EAP, I suspect that everyone will get it. But I guess we will see once it starts rolling out to more people.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Wait I’m confused. So do you need to have bought FSD for blind spot monitoring to work? Or just that your car is AP2.0+ hardware?
No, I distinctly remember during my test drive in 2015 with AP1 hardware that the sales person told me that blind spot monitoring was active and working. (For me personally, this was the singular outright "broken promise" from Tesla.)

I doubt it is even limited to EAP, I suspect that everyone will get it. But I guess we will see once it starts rolling out to more people.
Considering it uses the rear-facing cameras to do the blind spot monitoring, I'd actually be surprised if it was available without EAP. As it stands, the first E feature in EAP will be using more cameras than the original marketing bullcrap of 4 cameras.

Hi All,

With more cameras active, it does give a better representation of the surrounding cars.
It's becoming better knowing when someone is lurking in your blind spot.
This was taken at a stoplight.

Shawn

V9.jpg

No, I distinctly remember during my test drive in 2015 with AP1 hardware that the sales person told me that blind spot monitoring was active and working. (For me personally, this was the singular outright "broken promise" from Tesla.)
It was. It is. Using the ultrasound only. Again PER THE RELEASE NOTES (please read the blog post)..... this version ADDS cameras in addition to the ultrasound to make it better. Also adds the line going red if your turn signal is on. This addition to cameras is obviously AP 2.0 and up because - well - AP 1 doesn't have side rear-facing cameras.....

The blog from Tesla is very clear and quite informative.

Introducing Software Version 9.0

Considering it uses the rear-facing cameras to do the blind spot monitoring, I'd actually be surprised if it was available without EAP. As it stands, the first E feature in EAP will be using more cameras than the original marketing bullcrap of 4 cameras.
They have definitely said all 8 cameras now active. I believe for myself that in the active safety arena (blindspot) you will see that for all cars with or without EAP option. (AP2.0 hardware and up)