Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attention people posting to this thread: This is a thread for discussing software version 2018.39.5. Because it only went to a relatively small number of cars, it is more likely that you mean to discuss 2018.39.6 (or some later version). The thread for 2018.39.6 is here:

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

Thank you,

Bruce.

Wouldn't it be better to simply change the topic to "Software Update 2018.39.5 and Software Update 2018.39.6"

I don't think anyone knows what the differences even are.

True.
I have 2018.39.5 on AP 2.5 MCU2 hardware. I suspect 2018.39.6 just contains the additional code necessary to be compatible with older hardware.

I'm assuming your talking about your 3. Has your S gotten the update yet? What did it get?

Up until this morning I would have assumed your correct about your assumption, but Teslafi showed 2 Model 3's failing at installing 39.6 and having to be reverted.

So I don't know what's up with that, or why 39.6 was being installed on them when 39.5 has been the default install for V9 on the Model 3.

I'm assuming your talking about your 3. Has your S gotten the update yet? What did it get?

Up until this morning I would have assumed your correct about your assumption, but Teslafi showed 2 Model 3's failing at installing 39.6 and having to be reverted.

So I don't know what's up with that, or why 39.6 was being installed on them when 39.5 has been the default install for V9 on the Model 3.
Just the opposite. Got it on the S. Possibly the first non TEAP install. (See post #1)
Not on the 3 yet.

Try this;
Nice try. Still broken though
938944B9-523F-471E-BA5D-EAD2F97C3125.jpeg

Initial thoughts:
Instrument Cluster (IC) displays 360' degree proximity w/t wide field of view (+3 lane left / +3 lanes right)
- ghost silhouette added for Large and Medium sized trucks.
- Anything smaller than a sedan displayed as a sedan silhouette, including people delivering orders in fast food drive through. (first time observation for me at least)

User Interface (UI) for Media Control Unit (MCU) completely reworked.
- NAV always displayed full screen (background)
- Aux App always on bottom (foreground)
- When under NAV Route Guidance if displaying Trip as "Immediate Area" - Orientation is Fixed to 'North'

Enhanced Autopilot (v2.5)
- Improved Lane Transition
- Improved Traffic Awareness
-- Does not "over-brake" when a forward vehicle changes into your lane. (Seems to coast to slow and match speed accordingly)
-- Does not "over-brake" when approaching forward vehicle. (seems to coast and match speed earlier and more fluidly)
-- Did not observe Red-Line "Do Not Cross" Blind Spot Detection. Vehicle merely refused to change lanes.
-- Did not observe "Guide-Line" on IC for Faster Routes through approaching traffic.

Other-
- Regenerative braking resistance felt "heavier".

Overall Impression:
v9.0 2018.39.5 (a1c2332) is not the full featured v9.0 release, but the first of what undoubtedly will be a series of release that progress towards the overall v9.0 construct. EAP update adds significant performance increase; and, MCU redesign is more compact, but forces auxiliary apps to the bottom of the screen (I prefer driving with the rear facing camera open and at the top of the MCU,)
Addendum: blind spot "red-line" is active feature. Just missed requisite conditions it during inital evaluation.

• Love
Reactions: psgabin
It seems that there are a lot of worthwhile improvements in V9, but one overwhelming disadvantage - the navigation screen will take up the top portion of the touchscreen whether you want it there or you don't want it at all. A long as that stays true I will not be installing any new downgrade versions, the new features may bee 'cool' but they are not worth the loss of flexibility.
The way you are wanting to use your screen, and wanting it to function, is exactly how I want mine to function, but sadly with the upgrade to v9 I've lost some of that functionality, my preference, or not. With that said, I cannot deny that the update brings a ton of new and better functionality to the car and driving experience as a whole. I'm not sure I would 'downgrade' at this point, even if I had the opportunity - just really hoping that Tesla will see some of the shortcomings people are begging for and give us another round of small updates that bring things back to 'pleasing' for all. I would highly recommend you update to v9, as the positives definitely outweigh the negatives (again, in my opinion).

Wouldn't it be better to simply change the topic to "Software Update 2018.39.5 and Software Update 2018.39.6"

I don't think anyone knows what the differences even are.

In hindsight maybe. But you know at the time 2018.39.6 came out, it wasn't clear whether or not there was a significant difference with 2018.39.5, and by time the community came to the conclusion there wasn't (if indeed we have), it's too clumsy to merge the threads together.

We already have a fairly long-standing precedent of keeping separate threads for each release and it's worked reasonably well. Unless there's a strong reason to do otherwise we should stick to that. I'm just asking people to check the thread title to be sure they're posting to the right thread.

(And yes I know there should be one place where we can talk about all of the software updates for all the different models together. I know the Model X folk especially must feel weird having to go to the Model S forum to get firmware news. There's a thread for this in "Site Feedback".)

Thanks,

Bruce.