Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 39.6 this morning everything looks good so far but what happened to playing music from USB? its gone.
Turns out if you create the "TeslaCam" folder on the same USB as where you store your music, it only allows the dashcam feature to work. If you want to access your music and use the dashcam then you will need 2 USB drives.

Took it for a test drive. Seems like AP performance on the Interstate is still solid. I like the 360 view, blind spot info, and the auto lane change (no, not the drive on nav lane change).

Side roads.... holy crap. It's like they totally lobotomized the car. It drove like pre-Karpathy days Autopilot (You know, like early 2017). Tried to kill me about 4 times taking wild, unexpected swerve attempts off the road. I'm hoping it's just learning or whatever, considering it seems like the first 100 miles of any update is a little rougher and then it polishes itself out.

Just installed v9.0 (2018.39.6 8377b4d) on my P85D.

Couple of things I noticed:

Overall, things are incredibly responsive as others have mentioned! I would say v9 is a night and day performance difference over v8.1

1) The "tune bar" to scan for radio stations was removed from radio context, now you can only next forward/back or direct tune
2) If you press the next track or previous track buttons in radio mode you'll automatically go back to streaming vs it seeking or going to your next radio favorite (push and hold next)
3) I don't see Spotify in this update, but I'm good with that
4) Web Browser is still terrible
5) AP1 car and I do have access to the new use HOV Lanes feature
6) I don't know if this was v9.1 or me just being giddy over new firmware, but the maps in my area in satellite view seem sharper... I noticed a 3GB download just 3 days ago, so likely unrelated, but noticed that real time traffic overlay loads almost instantly now
7) When exploring the list of superchargers you have to have a view that shows superchargers in your area, with a navigation context. This navigation menu cannot be hidden so you can't just explore the whole map (this was fun to look at to burn time when charging to creep on where everyone else is charging :) )
8) As others mentioned, no dashcam support in AP1
9) As others mentioned, the climate control button needs to be pushed and held to be turned on/off from the main screen

Haven't tried driving yet, but for the most part in park the menus in the dash display seem the same.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Dash cam feature is supposed only AP2.5.
Also 360 degree only AP2.x

Can you confirm these works in AP1?
I did a test drive on both my AP2 and AP1 cars. AP1 does not have the 360 degree view like the AP2 car does. I don't see any option for dash cam on either car even though I think I have AP2.5, hard to tell. Both cars will change lanes on regular 4 lane road now, not just limited access roads.

You have to share from another app. So open Google maps, and then find a location, then click share, and select the Tesla app. Like this

As for media controls, it needs to be activated in the car first.
Awesome tip, I couldn't find in car, a media control setting, but shared from iPhone a google map location to Tesla, and it was on-screen when I got in the car. Slick!!

Did anyone notice that Tesla couldn't even be 100% accurate about this roll out date on the day of roll out? They sent out all sorts of press yesterday saying it would roll out on Friday.

It didn't actually roll out until Saturday, and no Model 3's have it 24 hours after the press release. Elon time is getting baked into their culture.

Hey, cut Elon some slack. It WAS Friday on MARS ! :D

Reactions: djlott
Well, I *sugar* my pants this morning. Started the update and waited an hour. Did not receive a notification of update complete. Went to the car and it said "Update Required Contact Tesla" and the MCU was black. I waited a minute and the MCU popped up with the new V9 and the Update Required message cleared. Weird.
Yes, and you just have to ignore that for now. It does that sometimes and has been around for many months. You just have to be patient and let it finish.

Quick quick impressions:

Got v9 on my S AP2 but not our X, ironically.

Cameras did not need time to calibrate; everything was ready to go as soon as I put it in Drive.

Love the change to the IC display... The surround car display is quite useful, and the cars in the blind spot are large and bright enough that it's obvious from peripheral vision that I shouldn't be making a lane change.

Overall AP2 is driving smoother, but I can kind of understand why the Drive On Nav didn't make it in -- it's still a little scary when the system tries to take cloverleafs: On a few of them, it got through fine, but it failed 2 out of 5. On one, the lane lines washed out around the final corner and it got way too close to the guardrail. On another (we love you California) there's a freaking SHRUB that grew 2 feet into the offramp so you have to drive off the other side of the road to avoid hitting branches. Autopilot clearly doesn't recognize poor landscaping yet :D

Local lane changes are AWESOME!!!! In the city AP2 seems much more forgiving about irregular lane lines (e.g. solid, double, etc) which I like for manual lane changes. If I flip the turn signal, I don't want the robot to second guess my intentions.

Overall, yeah, this is a huge (pardon my Elon term) step change in Autopilot performance. No it's still not perfect, but it feels a ton more polished and capable to me. It feels basically as big as that jump to Karpathy's 2018.10.4.

Given how Tesla iterated .10.4 all the way to our last v8.1 build (.36), I would say that v9 has a bright future ahead of it.

v9 seems more upload heavy for me. Went for a 20 minute drive and it uploaded a good 400MB afterwards.

EDIT: I highly highly recommend playing with the new UI / app launcher a little while parked before getting on the road. Otherwise it might take a little longer to find certain UI elements while driving. The change is fairly significant.

Last edited:
Further thought: this change makes my driving less safe. The reason I always had the rear camera on the bottom of the screen was not that I enjoyed close-ups of the front of the vehicle stopped behind me at a light, but that it augmented my contextual awareness, especially of overtaking traffic on either side. Now to restore the camera after doing anything else on the screen, I have to look down and to the right -- look away from the road -- and place and move my finger properly at a point on the bottom of the screen. That new requirement detracts from safety.
So where do we go to register our complaints about not being able to keep the camera and another application (other than nav) on screen? I have AP1 and have always used the rear camera to make up for the unbelievable lack of the same blind spot monitoring I have had in other cars for many years. This setup definitely makes things less safe for those of us without AP2.

How is the AP nag? Any better?

I am still dreading the increased nag and have not updated since April. Thinking of never upgrading

Nag interval is the same, but I never got v36 so simply being able to turn the radio up and down with the scroll to get rid of it makes so much more sense. What I found odd though is adjusting the speed with the stick up/down got rid of the nag for only 5 seconds.