Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enter with Waze.

Start with address colons.
Screenshot_20181009-133157_Waze.jpg

Then goto send location

20181009_133107.jpg

Then click more.
20181009_133125.jpg

Then select Tesla
20181009_133138.jpg

Reactions: MelaniainLA
@Silicon Desert

That is the setup with the new Standard data plan. The Premium data plan will do non-safety SW updates over cellular. All vehicles come with one year of Premium, so all cars should be getting cellular updates currently (unless they changed it).

Tesla to offer ‘Premium Connectivity’ internet package starting July 1

Perhaps it is different in the US, but I have never ever received an update over cellular in Europe and was told I need wifi for that, except for 'naggate' which every one seem to have gotten over cellular who was not connected to wifi at that time.

Also, as far as I am aware we do not have the 'standard' and 'premium' data plan. In Europe all data is still free

Last edited:
I get to the "send location" option but then get the message "Still adding friends, try again later." I suspect Waze wants access to my contacts but that's not going to happen.

This is a known bug with Waze. I am part of the Beta team and I know they are working on this. A lot of folks do not want facebook or contacts integration.

Hmmm, that is rather interesting considering that I got an update to V9 while I was in Oregon at a friend's home whom doesn't even have internet and I was on cellular the whole time. That matches what I was told by a colleague. So am I to assume V9 is a security update?

I dont think its a security release, but someone else told the same thing. My guess is that it is difference for Europa and US. In Europe I never got any updates except for 'naggate' over cellular.

Perhaps it is different in the US, but I have never ever received an update over cellular in Europe and was told I need wifi for that, except for 'naggate' which every one seem to have gotten over cellular who was connected to wifi at that time.

Also, as far as I am aware we do not have the 'standard' and 'premium' data plan. In Europe all data is still free

Interesting about Europe. Premium won't matter for a year, once the currently included one year of access runs out.

Got the 39.6 update last night and got to take it for a drive in morning traffic. Used AP on surface streets and freeways almost 100% of the time for almost 40 miles. Very impressed!

I was mainly focusing on the new lane change capability to work with the blind spot monitoring. I purposefully tried to initiate a lane change while adjacent to another car in the lane I indicated I wanted to change into. I tried this while travelling at the same speed as the adjacent car, going faster than the adjacent car, and going slower than the adjacent car. I'd say that ALC prefers to slow down and then change lanes behind the other car instead of overtaking and then changing lanes. It did overtake a couple times and then change lanes but I think those were where I was already slightly in front of the other car or already going faster. Interestingly, every time it did overtake the other car and just prior to changing lanes, my car slowed down the match the speed of the other car and then changed lanes. This was slightly tense because I am changing lanes in front of another car and I'm slowing down. From their perspective it must have looked like a faster car passing them, then slowing down and merging in front of them, and then speeding up again.

I don't think this is a case of my car speeding up to overtake and exceeding my preset TACC speed and then slowing down. I was already traveling faster than the adjacent car and there were no other cars in front of me in either lane. Also, another time was in heavier traffic going much slower than the TACC set speed, the car changed lanes and slowed again just as the lane change was taking place. There were also a couple instances where the lane change aborted for no apparent reason. One time it started a lane change, then decided not to change lanes and then re-decided to actually change lanes. I'm sure the other car thought I was drunk or something.

Overall, the blind spot detection is great and how it now works with ALC is pretty magical. Can't wait for DON to be released.

Got the 39.6 update last night and got to take it for a drive in morning traffic. Used AP on surface streets and freeways almost 100% of the time for almost 40 miles. Very impressed!

I was mainly focusing on the new lane change capability to work with the blind spot monitoring. I purposefully tried to initiate a lane change while adjacent to another car in the lane I indicated I wanted to change into. I tried this while travelling at the same speed as the adjacent car, going faster than the adjacent car, and going slower than the adjacent car. I'd say that ALC prefers to slow down and then change lanes behind the other car instead of overtaking and then changing lanes. It did overtake a couple times and then change lanes but I think those were where I was already slightly in front of the other car or already going faster. Interestingly, every time it did overtake the other car and just prior to changing lanes, my car slowed down the match the speed of the other car and then changed lanes. This was slightly tense because I am changing lanes in front of another car and I'm slowing down. From their perspective it must have looked like a faster car passing them, then slowing down and merging in front of them, and then speeding up again.

I don't think this is a case of my car speeding up to overtake and exceeding my preset TACC speed and then slowing down. I was already traveling faster than the adjacent car and there were no other cars in front of me in either lane. Also, another time was in heavier traffic going much slower than the TACC set speed, the car changed lanes and slowed again just as the lane change was taking place. There were also a couple instances where the lane change aborted for no apparent reason. One time it started a lane change, then decided not to change lanes and then re-decided to actually change lanes. I'm sure the other car thought I was drunk or something.

Overall, the blind spot detection is great and how it now works with ALC is pretty magical. Can't wait for DON to be released.
I was going to post essentially just what you said. I tried some different scenarios with lane change and found roughly the same results. It tends to most of the time try to slow down when changing lanes.
One test I was abeam the other car but just ever so slightly going faster. So a gentle use of throttle would have been perfect to get ahead and move over. But it slowed quickly to try and get behind them. Not good IMO. And yes they look at me like I’m some sort of idiot or I’m trying to mess with them.
It stays centered and seems solid on lanes although I will agree as others have stated that it is a bit more “quick” or “jerky” at times when it is making a decision. Kind of like an inexperienced teeenager learning to drive might be. It’s not too bad tho. Maybe they needed to give it more authority and quickness to be able to do some of the other things it can do now like sharp turns, intersections, cloverleaf turns etc.....a trade off of sorts?
Who knows. Except for a few quirks like this I’m very pleased with V9 tho.

Just got my update today. It was a bit scary as I was in a rush and the update wasn’t completed before I had to head out to work. The IC display came on, and showed an error...”software update required: contact service”. The MCU was frozen. I reset the MCU and it was weird..the MCU was still on 32.4 and IC display was on 39.6. Lol. I started driving on my way to work and the MCU suddenly restarted on it’s own and viola... full 39.6. It looks great. Love the look of the new interface. THe consistency of the menu options/the animations and the icons..they are much more polished and look great. Tesla once again pulls light years ahead of the competition for in-car software.

It is very risky to restart or otherwise touch a device that is updating its firmware. You risk bricking it. The Tesla is known to display the error message “update required” while actively updating its firmware. You should have continued to wait. The idiot lights and warning messages don’t work properly while its actively updating itself. However, it will let you know when it’s done

I was going to post essentially just what you said. I tried some different scenarios with lane change and found roughly the same results. It tends to most of the time try to slow down when changing lanes.
One test I was abeam the other car but just ever so slightly going faster. So a gentle use of throttle would have been perfect to get ahead and move over. But it slowed quickly to try and get behind them. Not good IMO. And yes they look at me like I’m some sort of idiot or I’m trying to mess with them.
Did you notice at all, when you did overtake the other car, that your car purposefully slowed down just prior or just as the lane change took place?

Perhaps it is different in the US, but I have never ever received an update over cellular in Europe and was told I need wifi for that, except for 'naggate' which every one seem to have gotten over cellular who was not connected to wifi at that time.

I am in France, and already got two updates over cellular (S100D MCU2 2018). Same thing happened for a friend (X100D MCU1 2018).
Hopefully it will be the same for the v9: I have no wifi in my parking...

Got the update yesterday. I immediately noticed one really positive advancement. It is showing lane lines when there isn't any on the road. It is outlining the direction without lines present. So, they must be starting to map lane directional information. I couldn't engage autopilot in this scenario, but it does outline the correct side and direction of road. This probably why the car does better with split lanes as well.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and conman
Did you notice at all, when you did overtake the other car, that your car purposefully slowed down just prior or just as the lane change took place?
Yes that’s exactly what it did. Not a “natural” reaction at all. It didn’t cause any real harm but I would sure rather it didn’t.
And tonight on the way home I tried it again with my car being Well ahead of the other car. It could have just moved over to that lane although it would have made them a little mad since it was just tight enough to be a rude move. And the darn thing slowed way down and then they slowed down to let me in. And so mine slowed down even more. Like a damn cat and mouse game. I got disgusted and floored it and moved over myself. It (AP V9)definitely needs some work