Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.7 9736c9b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You even get haptic feedback if you get too close!
That's an early implementation of the progressive warning system now in use for autopilot. First you hear a honk, and if you ignore that, there's a much louder crunch. If you still ignore that, the system assumes you've fallen asleep and spins or flips your car in an effort to wake you back up.

Interesting experience today. I approached a stoplight on multi lane, divided road at ~50 mph. There was a car at complete stop in my lane, which AP was not tracking. Far prior to the light and at safe distance the car was recognized and AP braked rather gradually to complete stop.

Reactions: Magellan55
Anyone else notice that on Teslafi, the # of cars on 39.7 DROPPED from nearly 700 to the mid 500's between last night and today? Weird...

Yep, I was just wondering WTH this retroactive drop by 120 can mean:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 00.16.26.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 00.16.26.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 05.06.26.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 05.06.26.png
    590 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yep, I was just wondering WTH this retroactive drop by 120 can mean:
Two things come to mind.
1. Someone reported being downgraded from 39 to 36. I don't know why, but I also doubt this many vehicles have been downgraded.
2. It's selecting out the people who got invited as early access beta testers and they've pulled their data completely in keeping with the agreement (can you remove your details from Teslafi?)

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
On Saturday morning 10/13, I received a notification in the tesla app that I had an update available for install. Router confirmed my car had a big 600mb download the night before. It was at the time of a big push of 39.7. When I got back into town to install it the following evening, it was not available in the car for install, and there was no clock icon. Double scroll reset didn't do anything. I called the service center who said that the update was pushed to my car but recalled shortly after due to people having some issues with it. They estimated that the next push to my car would be in a week or two. I have a long range model 3 delivered in July.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
On Saturday morning 10/13, I received a notification in the tesla app that I had an update available for install. Router confirmed my car had a big 600mb download the night before. It was at the time of a big push of 39.7. When I got back into town to install it the following evening, it was not available in the car for install, and there was no clock icon. Double scroll reset didn't do anything. I called the service center who said that the update was pushed to my car but recalled shortly after due to people having some issues with it. They estimated that the next push to my car would be in a week or two. I have a long range model 3 delivered in July.

Yep that's consistent with many other reports online on Facebook and elsewhere, so it makes sense. This will be harder for them soon, once you can install an update from your phone no matter where you are!

Always shoulder check. What's the worst that can happen if you do vs don't?

Head-on collision. People greatly underestimate the distance a vehicle can travel in 1 second, particulary at freeway speeds. "Shoulder check" is no different than closing one's eyes for the same amount of time. If there is less than 100 feet of unoccupied space in any lane in front of the vehicle, it's a risk.

This is why mirror configuration is so important, as it eliminates blind spots for passenger vehicles. Motorcycles can still be a problem, but this can largely be eliminated by awareness of other vehicles for 30-60 seconds prior to lane changes.

Changing one's primary direction of vision away from the direction of vehicle movement should be avoided. Mirrors should be configured such that any vehicle in either of the neighboring lanes will always be partially visible in the rear view or side mirror. Lane change process should be to check the rear view, check the side view, signal, then change lanes. This process requires no head movement and the direction of vehicle movement is never out of view.

Interesting experience today. I approached a stoplight on multi lane, divided road at ~50 mph. There was a car at complete stop in my lane, which AP was not tracking. Far prior to the light and at safe distance the car was recognized and AP braked rather gradually to complete stop.

1. Which hardware do you have?

2. Was this situation not recognised at that speed prior to v9, even if slowing was less smooth?

3. Do you feel like [carefully] trying the same thing at increments of 5mph up to 90, while recording on dashcam and posting the results? That I would love to see ...

When the stars align, this works in V9, as it also worked with V8, sometimes. But in my experience V9 isn't much if any better than V8 with stopped cars overall. The couple of times I've been bold enough to test it since i ugpraded to V9 I have ended up chickening out and hitting the brakes myself -- so I know at a minimum it would have braked way too late for comfort. Might it have slammed on the brakes at the last minute? Sure, it might have, and I like knowing that there is a backup in place should I have a heart attack at the wheel or whatever. But it is not good enough to rely on it, unless you really enjoy the thrill of the game...

Reactions: OPRCE
There was a similar report on Reddit about this, and the frequency of 39.7 installs on TeslaFi has fallen off seriously. I can see that a few leftover on one day could be installs in progress that 'didn't get the word from the mothership to abort' but it's weird that so many are still actually installing if it was actually completely recalled (data from a few seconds ago show installs still being done this AM):

upload_2018-10-16_8-41-1.png

WelHead-on collision. People greatly underestimate the distance a vehicle can travel in 1 second, particulary at freeway speeds. "Shoulder check" is no different than closing one's eyes for the same amount of time. If there is less than 100 feet of unoccupied space in any lane in front of the vehicle, it's a risk.

Changing one's primary direction of vision away from the direction of vehicle movement should be avoided.

While I agree with that first statement of avoiding over the shoulder head movement if at close range to a vehicle in front, I'll just stick to the process that has worked for me for 50 years without incident. And that is to continue looking over my shoulder. I can't count the number of times it has prevented me from hitting someone even with looking in the mirrors. Probably this has worked for me because I don't ride the bumper of a car in front of me like many people do. I stay far enough behind that it allows me the luxury to look around if I need to. So in summary, not disagreeing with you. I say bottom line is for people to stop tailgating and there shouldn't be a problem. :D They still teach it this way in drivers' ed, so probably less change of "overall" accidents.

Just two observations for V9 39.7. I haven't been tracking the changes for a while so this may not be new or if new, may have already been posted.

1. Lane change work on surface street. It didn't work before
2. I cannot force a lane change into the HOV lane if it is has a solid white or double yellow lines (as per the law)

Thoughts?

OPRCE, I have AP2.5 and MCU2. With V8, I only recall AP picking up a stationary car very sporadically and way late, to the extent I would never trust it to stop. And finally, I would love to test more but am now traveling for th week.
A cardboard aluminium foil car may be good for this sort of stuff. Won’t kill you or damage the car as much if it does crash