Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that Tesla chose those particular games. All 4 of them ran on the MOS 6502 processor, so I'm thinking they are sharing common emulation code that is capable of running all 4 of them.

Other possible Atari games that could run on this emulator:

Night Driver
Sprint
Sprint 2
Sprint 4
Asteroids Deluxe
Battlezone
Crystal Castles
Warlords

The following games also ran on the 6502, but may not be able to run on the Tesla emulator because these had extra sound CPUs:

Gravitar
Millipede
Major Havoc
Red Baron
Space Duel
Tempest

I’m sure they are just running MAME, which can quite nearly run anything. What they chose to include probably has more to do with what ROMs they could cheaply/easily license.

I’m sure they are just running MAME, which can quite nearly run anything. What they chose to include probably has more to do with what ROMs they could cheaply/easily license.

That is possible as well, MAME has been around for a long time, works very well, and is mature for a lot of games.

However, to my knowledge, no version of MAME exists that would run on the Tesla's hardware directly, it would have to be recompiled. In addition, since MAME supports such a large amount of hardware, the binaries would be rather large and need a lot of prerequisites. Finally, MAME is open source, which would require Tesla to declare its use of the open source software and provide source code.

It seems excessive to go to all that trouble just to run a very small number of games. Given that all the games are Atari, I'd wager a licensing agreement for those games along with a custom Atari-created small emulator to run them.

Sorry for the tangent away from the v9 conversation, but I find the implementation of these games as Easter eggs quite interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Guys, I just got another software update alert 5 minutes ago.

I already updated this morning from 39.5 to 39.6. I wonder what this third update is.

Has anyone else experienced this?

So you can test out the update from app. :)

Buit, no it's likely the 39.7 that you double/triple dippers are getting. Too early to tell what bugs it fixes.

Software Update 2018.39.7 9736c9b

This is the time of night where one really wants Teslafi firmware tracker to work right, but it doesn't.

It has some clock issue where it doesn't count the cars/firmware correctly, So it's not showing the count correctly under 2018.39.7. It will a bit later on when it starts showing data for tomorrow. Like part of it thinks it's today, and part of it thinks it tomorrow.

Don’t hate me guys, but I just got a software update a short while ago as well. It just finished as I was typing this. It is indeed 2018.39.7. I was on 2018.39.6 just before. I’ll give it a good test run tomorrow as I’ve got a several hundred mile drive in the morning. I took some screenshots of the update process from the app for anyone that’s interested. It was nice to not have to leave my bed and go to the garage to kick off the update!

0E01F5AC-357B-4D1A-AACC-92CA8BE22340.png

9BE5A938-4FC4-4C29-9C76-38044B6C8E6C.png

38F901E0-753F-4ED3-B6D2-63C19704D805.png

Don’t hate me guys, but I just got a software update a short while ago as well. It just finished as I was typing this. It is indeed 2018.39.7. I was on 2018.39.6 just before. I’ll give it a good test run tomorrow as I’ve got a several hundred mile drive in the morning. I took some screenshots of the update process from the app for anyone that’s interested. It was nice to not have to leave my bed and go to the garage to kick off the update!

View attachment 343023
View attachment 343024
View attachment 343025

Brace yourself for the 100% charge scream brigade