Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to see how people have wildly different results.

With my 2015 Model S (running AP1 and V7/V8/V8.1) I typically never used AP because I felt like it took more effort to use than simply using TACC. It would do things like diving for the exits, and there was a some instances of truck lust.

With my Model 3 running V9 I decided to let AP do the vast majority of the driving from Snohomish to Portland, and back. I wanted to use the dash cam feature to document every instance in which it messed up. So I could go back to determine the exact location, and what it might have been thinking.

In that 400+ mile journey I only had one case where there was what I considered to be a significant mistake. That was a false braking event that happened as the result of a overhead road that I could easily see why the car thought it was right in front of it because it was right before the freeway dipped under it. This was on 405 going Northbound right about the time I was thinking "hmm. I haven't experienced any phantom braking yet".

Now it wasn't what I'd consider a lot of braking. But, just maybe 5-10 mph lost as I took over. I didn't have anyone close behind me, but it's still a pretty busy freeway. I'm too self conscious to let things run there course.

Here are my conclusions

False Braking -> One event in 400 miles
Lane Changes -> Overly conservative. It seems to give a second or two just to go "hey, guys I'm going to change lanes", and then it executes a perfect driving miss daisy lane change. The kind of lane change I'd do if I was driving a CEO. It also seemed to require an excessive amount of space behind, and ahead. So it was best used in non-aggressive traffic.
Zig-Zagging -> Didn't notice anything significant. Maybe some wobbles here, and there. Probably outdid average human drivers.
Lane Placement -> Still not a fan of the center in all situations
Truck Lust -> None
Diving for the exit -> None
Lane Change over Solid white lane into HOV lane -> Wouldn't let me
Nags -> Excessive. With the Model S I could hold the steering wheel in such a way to all, but eliminate nags. No such luck on the 3 yet. The warning message is easy to see so I didn't have any major issues with it. Just a little annoying. I'll try a different steering wheel setting next time to see if it improves it (I have sport selected, and it's tight like I like it).
Sensation of using it -> Felt a lot more natural than AP1 did. AP1 tended to constantly do micro corrections. AP2 felt more human like.
The 360 degree visualization -> Comically funny at times, but it was pretty awesome at helping situational awareness.

Final conclusion -> Could use some mad max.

Disclaimer -> I naturally intend to take control when things look like they might get dicey. So I can't say what AP would have done when dealing with weird crap that happens on the roads sometimes. So my analysis is really just 90% of driving on the freeway. I also did most of the more difficult lane changes that required tighter tolerances, and higher aggressiveness than it was delivering.

Now I don't know if I'll be converted from a TACC guy to an AP guy, but it was certainly a large step.

I dabbled with sport steering setting but found it took more effort to keep AP happy, and honestly didn't feel sportier to me (just underboosted - the steering ratio is already great, and the steering settings only adjust amount of assist / boost). With standard steering, I can just barely put some torque on the steering wheel by sort of "leaning in" to either the left or the right against the wheel with my index finger, with my hand resting on the wheel. Very minimal effort required. On v8 anyways, still don't have v9, so if they made it naggier... who knows. So I'd suggest trying standard steering and see if that makes your AP nags less of a hassle.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Hey gang, just a quick v9 blindspot story.

On the day I installed the update I was on the highway and was in the left lane. I had just passed an on ramp and signaled to move to the right lane. The car got halfway over and suddenly the car jerked back into the left lane. I was trying to figure out what had happened when the car that was barreling down the on ramp went zooming by me in the right lane. I would have never seen the guy but auto pilot did. This is pretty great stuff even with its limitations and bugs. Glad I have it for sure.

Dan

My Dashcam corrupts my jump drive if I leave it on. The only way to keep my jump drive from corrupting and having to unplug it everyday, is to turn the Dashcam off when I get home (hard to remember).

LTE was off almost the whole day yesterday, maps worked but no real-time traffic.
I'm going to try to pause the recording before I leave the car. Hopefully that'll stop the drive from getting corrupted.

My car is in the shop getting the MCU PANEL replace (yellow trim). They will put in the latest firmware but if 2018.40 is not going to out to more cars I might not get it. I am on 2018.39.6. I mentioned the 2 40's yesterday on TeslaFI and they said it will depend on my VIN on weather my car will get it. That and a few other reasons my car might not get it. Like they send out to limited cars for testing. I understand the last part but surprised about the VIN reason. Will see when I get my car back. Hoping today. However, it does not see that 40 is anything special.

Still waiting for Tesla to resend me the update after pulling it. Sigh. I really am going to have Tesla send it to me while my car is getting PPF and tint, and pulling it from me before I get the car back, aren’t I? I fear that would really piss me off and I pity the poor CS rep who answers my call :p

Yeah anyone that is still waiting for version 9 will likely have to wait until 2018.40.x, although that version is in very limited release at the moment and hasn't hit any Model 3's yet.

Still waiting for Tesla to resend me the update after pulling it. Sigh. I really am going to have Tesla send it to me while my car is getting PPF and tint, and pulling it from me before I get the car back, aren’t I? I fear that would really piss me off and I pity the poor CS rep who answers my call :p
I find being nice to people gets more than yelling at someone who had nothing to do with what you’re complaining about.
Each to their own I suppose.

Reactions: Pkmmte
EAP is definitely smoother with lane changes and acceleration and deceleration. Of note is the much smarter reaction to cars that cut in front of you and compromise your gap....autopilot no longer over reacts like a teenage driver. Yeah! But, it is quite a bit more squirrely when lane markers change on non freeways. I was genuinely surprised by how swirvy the car become at spots and it was quite confused at moments that V8 would have been fine with. Certainly babysit V9 on these types of roads until things improve!

I find being nice to people gets more than yelling at someone who had nothing to do with what you’re complaining about.
Each to their own I suppose.

I was kidding. I have almost never actually yelled at a CS rep, outside of one incident when I was in my 20s and too stupid to know any better. I know they’re just doing their jobs and aren’t at fault for whatever issue I’m dealing with.

Hey gang, just a quick v9 blindspot story.

On the day I installed the update I was on the highway and was in the left lane. I had just passed an on ramp and signaled to move to the right lane. The car got halfway over and suddenly the car jerked back into the left lane. I was trying to figure out what had happened when the car that was barreling down the on ramp went zooming by me in the right lane. I would have never seen the guy but auto pilot did. This is pretty great stuff even with its limitations and bugs. Glad I have it for sure.

Dan
Similar story on my V9 night-time drive home last night. I was in the center freeway lane and signaled to move to the left lane. The car got half-way over and jerked back for no apparent reason. A second later I saw a parked car on the left shoulder (unlit area; no hazard lights) which would have been uncomfortably close had the lane change completed as intended.