Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody who had the v9 update pulled before you had a chance to download it been given the opportunity to move to v9? I'm still waiting....

I just did. Had the notice last weekend while I was out of town. Was pulled when I got home on Monday.

Just got back from a trip today and the update notice came.

It's 2019.39.7.1 (2f570bc), if that's new.

Was hoping but would be a 40.1 or something.

On 39.7. EAP has not worked along with auto headlights and auto wipers for most of the last 3 days. Intermittent at best.
Just got off the phone with tech support and they have escalated with no specific plan other then they will get back to me in 1-2 business days.
Odd thing is the first week I had V9 it worked great compared to V8.

Well, color me impressed. There is a 'trouble spot' on my daily commute that AP v8 had failed the handful of times I had tried it. All of the failures resulted in AP alerting me to take over.

This morning I tried v9 on that exit ramp and it worked. There was a bit of jerkiness in the steering as AP navigated the turn but I did not have to (or feel that I needed to) take over at any time. I'll keep trying this with v9 to see if the turn adjustments get any smoother. For those not familiar with the area, this is I676W exiting to I76E in Philly (entering from right in this image). It is a very tight turn with barriers on both sides.
676W.jpg

... I was genuinely surprised by how swirvy the car become at spots and it was quite confused at moments that V8 would have been fine with. Certainly babysit V9 on these types of roads until things improve!

Agree.

One place where a road goes from one lane to two, the lane lines disappear in the intersection, where there's also a curve in the road, and it swerved into the wrong lane at the last minute. Not a hazard situation, but the lane it chose was not the continuation of the one I was in.

And yes, swirvy in places, typically where the lane is wider than normal due to a change in the width of the street.

OTOH, having auto lane change in town is nice, and having car images all around is nice even though the images are jittery. And dashcam is a nice concept even though it doesn't work yet. That is, it works briefly and then you have to bring it into the house and run a disk utility on it.

Reactions: McFlurri
I also have a spot that v8 kept failing on and v9 took the curve without crossing over into the oncoming traffic lane.

On the flip side, also have the jittering cars in my HUD, so it's definitely got room to improve.

Haven't had to run my commute with v9 yet, so will see if the jitters calm down after a few hundred miles are on the car...

Just installed 2018.39.7.1. Got the first notice of update last Saturday morning. I tried to install, but got an error. I called my SC and they said they needed to open a case to look at it to see why it failed and would push a new update in a few days.

I went out of town on Sunday and received a message on my Tesla App a new version was ready for download (this was on Tuesday and Wednesday). Yesterday I didn't get a message so I was worried the update had been pulled, as others have reported.

Then yesterday afternoon I received the following email from Tesla:
I am reaching out to you from Tesla Diagnostic Support to inform you a new firmware package has been sent to your vehicle. This firmware should not have the issue installing like the last update. Please install this at your convenience. Should you experience any issues, please reply to this email and I will investigate the root cause. Thank you.

I responded I was out of town until Friday night and was worried the update would be pulled. They responded back:
Yes it should still be there available to install by the time you get home. If not I will make sure to re-send this firmware version.

Sure enough, got home a short time ago and the update was waiting and installed successfully.

I called Tesla service today to complain about behavior that perfectly describes Obstacle-Aware Acceleration without being able to turn it off since I'm still on V8. About one hour after that call, I received the update! I'll be installing it once I get off work in an hour so I can enjoy my Model 3's majestic update clunk sounds.

For those curious, I complained about this last month in this thread: 2018.34.1 Won't let me launch my car into objects
There are multiple left turns with lots of oncoming traffic that I experience during my commute. It feels dangerous to have my Model 3 randomly accelerate like it's in Chill mode when I'm expecting to accelerate like usual in these situations. I just want a way of turning that off.

New release notes or AP behavior? Pretty please:oops:
I previously had V8, so the release notes are the same as all V9 people have already reported.

I'm not sure how to compare AP to 39.X as I skipped that, but I've yet to run into any of the issues other people have reported. And this is with a bunch of dirt and bugs all over my Model 3, sine I haven't cleaned my car yet from my Oregon trip last month. I was actually kinda worried it would affect AutoPilot performance but it's been perfect so far!

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
I also just installed 40.1. Was on 36.2 previously. I went for a short test drive but being the middle of the night couldn't really usefully check if anything was better/worse than before regarding AP behavior. Really disappointed with how close cars need to be to show up on blind spot monitoring. Wasn't enough traffic to check how far they can be to trigger the red line - the one person I tried to use to test this politely slowed down to let me get in front of them :rolleyes:

Also rather annoyed that the media player interface got bigger when you have it on the 2nd size (the smallest size where you can access favorites/recent) - now it takes up nearly half the screen! Before I would drive with it in this size all the time as it took up not that much space.

Another failed update in a Model 3 here. Appears there are some serious issues with this particular update. Seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. Pretty much a downer. Get all excited that the update finally arrived only to be told "wait for the next update to be sent to your car". Surprising that it's not like any other update on Apple or Windows products, where if an error occurs, it just automatically re-downloads the file and tries again.

Well it looks like I’ve found the answer as to whether you can control the media from the app without being anywhere near the car. My 3 is at a service center right now and they forgot to disable mobile access while they’re working on it. So not only could I honk the horn a few times at them I could also crank the stereo volume to max. Obvious I’m not going to do that but I’m tempted to play a prank on my wife at least once by screwing with the media controls while she’s driving :D

3F155E4A-E673-4709-BE93-0DBD7D29771E.png

Well it looks like I’ve found the answer as to whether you can control the media from the app without being anywhere near the car. My 3 is at a service center right now and they forgot to disable mobile access while they’re working on it. So not only could I honk the horn a few times at them I could also crank the stereo volume to max. Obvious I’m not going to do that but I’m tempted to play a prank on my wife at least once by screwing with the media controls while she’s driving :D

View attachment 345498

@PoitNarf,

What Version is this? 39.7 or the new V40.1? I don’t have the Media icon on my app.

Ski

I called Tesla service today to complain about behavior that perfectly describes Obstacle-Aware Acceleration without being able to turn it off since I'm still on V8. About one hour after that call, I received the update! I'll be installing it once I get off work in an hour so I can enjoy my Model 3's majestic update clunk sounds.

For those curious, I complained about this last month in this thread: 2018.34.1 Won't let me launch my car into objects
There are multiple left turns with lots of oncoming traffic that I experience during my commute. It feels dangerous to have my Model 3 randomly accelerate like it's in Chill mode when I'm expecting to accelerate like usual in these situations. I just want a way of turning that off.

This could be one of those situations that AP is not ready to handle. (I presume you are talking about its behavior when on AP). The solution is not to use AP in those places. Alternatively (you probably know this) tapping the go pedal will cancel the automatic braking.

... I’m tempted to play a prank on my wife at least once by screwing with the media controls while she’s driving :D

I would discourage anyone from doing this. Any unexpected sudden loud noise could lead to an unpredictable reaction that could cause an accident. I think you were joking above, but there's always someone who thinks such pranks are funny.

This could be one of those situations that AP is not ready to handle. (I presume you are talking about its behavior when on AP). The solution is not to use AP in those places. Alternatively (you probably know this) tapping the go pedal will cancel the automatic braking

I was actually referring to mashing the accelerator from a standstill (not on AP) and the car accelerating much slower than expected. I assume this is to prevent people from launching into walls and blaming Tesla, but it's having the opposite effect on me by making me slow while trying to make a left turn with quick cars coming towards me. I've had way too many close calls because of this.

I was actually referring to mashing the accelerator from a standstill (not on AP) and the car accelerating much slower than expected. I assume this is to prevent people from launching into walls and blaming Tesla, but it's having the opposite effect on me by making me slow while trying to make a left turn with quick cars coming towards me. I've had way too many close calls because of this.

Gosh! I've not experienced this. Granted, my (not Performance) Model 3 is not as quick off the line as my Roadster, but it's no slouch at all.

What Version is this? 39.7 or the new V40.1? I don’t have the Media icon on my app.

I’m on 2018.39.7 right now. The media thing only shows up when the car is powered on.

I would discourage anyone from doing this. Any unexpected sudden loud noise could lead to an unpredictable reaction that could cause an accident. I think you were joking above, but there's always someone who thinks such pranks are funny.

I was more thinking of randomly changing tracks instead of playing with the volume but I see your point.