Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you drive enough (10 miles? 20 miles?) after the update to calibrate the newly activated cameras in V9? The surround vehicle display won’t be fully functional until you do.
Mine seemed to work right away on 40.1 ? At least I didn't see such a message warning about it not being available, and it was definitely working by the time I got on the highway (1-2 miles or so from home).

Isn’t that determined by the cabin temperature? Eg, If interior is 72 and you select 67 degrees it needs to turn AC on. If you set temperature at 77 then heater would turn on.
It's more complex than that.

The AC can't chill by just a degree or two, it chills be a fair amount relative to the intake temp. If you need it only slightly cooler then you need to mix in some heat to get the desired temperature. Some of this may be waste heat from the rest of the car (motors, inverters, AP computer, etc), but if more is needed to balance the temperature to the desired temp then the cabin heater will be engaged too.

It would be nice if we had the option to disable cabin heater (but still use waste heat) just as we do to disable AC itself. If you were willing to have less consistent temperature control, it would increase your range when the temperature is otherwise only slightly warmer than you desire.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
It's more complex than that.

The AC can't chill by just a degree or two, it chills be a fair amount relative to the intake temp. If you need it only slightly cooler then you need to mix in some heat to get the desired temperature. Some of this may be waste heat from the rest of the car (motors, inverters, AP computer, etc), but if more is needed to balance the temperature to the desired temp then the cabin heater will be engaged too.

It would be nice if we had the option to disable cabin heater (but still use waste heat) just as we do to disable AC itself. If you were willing to have less consistent temperature control, it would increase your range when the temperature is otherwise only slightly warmer than you desire.

Teslas do not use waste heat in the cabin.

Teslas do not use waste heat in the cabin.
Are you sure? I thought the waste heat loop was tied in to the refrigerant loop? Even if they don't route the waste heat directly to the cabin, wouldn't running the waste heat by the refrigerant heat exchanger whenever it's running, instead of using the regular radiators, have the same effect of offsetting the amount of cooling delivered to the cabin?

Pretty sure you early access folks aren't allowed to discuss early access software builds. I personally don't care if you do or not, but don't be surprised if Tesla somehow finds out and kicks you out of the program.

Pretty sure you early access folks aren't allowed to discuss early access software builds. I personally don't care if you do or not, but don't be surprised if Tesla somehow finds out and kicks you out of the program.

Pretty sure admitting that I am a member in the early access software program is not discussing the build. But thank you for your concern.

• Funny
Reactions: TT97 and McFlurri
Couple of other issues, since the update to 39.7.1, my trunk won't unlock unless I use the app or the on screen button. Doors definitely open intermittently. I also find that Slacker is having a much harder time finding a signal.
I'm on that build and I haven't noticed any issues with locking or unlocking the doors to trunk via phone key. Slacker works as well as it did with 2018.36.

On a side note, I took 39.7.1 on an extensive trip this weekend with AP to LA and back, and it worked pretty well. No "ping ponging" although there are some hairy places on the 101 (older, more twisty highway) that it seemed to struggle. No jumping at shadows, which was good. The TeslaCam worked great the whole weekend, then quit this morning. Gotta figure out what happened there.

Reactions: Dana1
Yes, Tesla patented it but hasn't actually done it.
The Model 3 at least can take heat out of the glycol loop :

While that doesn't mean that heat is transferred directly to the cabin, it will increase the heat load on the refrigerant loop, decreasing the amount it can cool the cabin. Perhaps they don't explicitly make use of this to avoid using the cabin heater, but any time the powertrain or battery is seeing a lot of heat load (more than the regular glycol radiators can handle, and thus causing the refridgerant loop to be connected to it to cool the glycol loop), it will impact how much cooling the refrigerant loop can provide to the cabin. So if they're not using it intentionally in this way, it should only take a software update to do so.