Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While that doesn't mean that heat is transferred directly to the cabin, it will increase the heat load on the refrigerant loop, decreasing the amount it can cool the cabin. Perhaps they don't explicitly make use of this to avoid using the cabin heater, but any time the powertrain or battery is seeing a lot of heat load, it will impact how much cooling the refrigerant loop can provide to the cabin. So if they're not using it intentionally in this way, it should only take a software update to do so.

Maybe you are forgetting that this isn't an ICE with a non-controlled AC compressor. Tesla can control the compressor to generate the level of cooling that is demanded, up to the maximum of the system, so they don't need to use electricity to create heat just to reduce the amount of cooling the AC system generates.

There is no path for the heat from the battery and motor to make its way in to the cabin. Lets say it is 0* out the AC isn't running since there is no need for cooling, unless the battery/motor need cooling in which case the cabin still isn't using the AC. There just isn't a pathway to get heat from the glycol loop into the cabin. (Well in the Model 3 the glycol does have a loop sort of into the cabin but that is to cool the MCU/APE.)

Maybe you are forgetting that this isn't an ICE with a non-controlled AC compressor. Tesla can control the compressor to generate the level of cooling that is demanded, up to the maximum of the system, so they don't need to use electricity to create heat just to reduce the amount of cooling the AC system generates.

There is no path for the heat from the battery and motor to make its way in to the cabin. Lets say it is 0* out the AC isn't running since there is no need for cooling, unless the battery/motor need cooling in which case the cabin still isn't using the AC. There just isn't a pathway to get heat from the glycol loop into the cabin. (Well in the Model 3 the glycol does have a loop sort of into the cabin but that is to cool the MCU/APE.)
I wasn't saying they only use the powertrain heat, I was saying if the AC is running and overcooling, that switching the powertrain heat into the AC loop would partially offset that and if it's already a very close thing it might save running the cabin heater.

I am pretty sure I've smelled the cabin heater kick on while the HVAC display still showed it was cooling the cabin, so I don't think their temperature control via varying the AC compressor duty cycle is good enough for when only a tiny amount of cooling is needed.

That notification shows up if something is wrong with your cameras. Try cleaning all your cameras and see if it goes away. If not, then you'll need to take it in.

Has anyone resolved the "Surround vehicle display limited" message yet? It started showing after we did the software update in early November, 2018. We see this message on the display every time the car is driven. Took car into service center on December 6th. Was told they will order a new camera and go from there. New camera will be installed on February 1st. Since the late December software install V9.0 (2018.48.12.1) the message now says "Autopilot features limited". Just now,I did go out and check the cameras. One of them (right front) looks like it has a white center in the lens (meaning moisture in the lens) and is not clear like the others. I'm now confident the new camera install will fix the issue.