Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a brand new owner I am pretty inept on a lot of things related to the car. Trying to learn as quickly as possible!

Do I have to be hooked to WiFi in order to get the updates? If so, how do I know that the car is hooked up? Do I need to connect the car to my WiFi at home or does it do that automatically? Sorry for the dumb questions but that is pretty much my level of understanding at this point! LOL!

Dan

Being a brand new owner I am pretty inept on a lot of things related to the car. Trying to learn as quickly as possible!

Do I have to be hooked to WiFi in order to get the updates? If so, how do I know that the car is hooked up? Do I need to connect the car to my WiFi at home or does it do that automatically? Sorry for the dumb questions but that is pretty much my level of understanding at this point! LOL!

Dan
They say you will get the update faster if you’re on WiFi. When you’re connected the LTE signal strength icon will turn into a WiFi signal strength icon. To connect just click on that icon to select your network and then type in your password.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan Detweiler
I wonder if it's because I open the rear door first and toss my laptop bag in the back. I'll have to test it out tomorrow.

Yea, this is it. The calendar pops up the first time you open any door in the car. So, if I don't open the drivers door first, it pops up when I put my bag in the back seat and then goes away when the door is closed. I submitted a feedback message for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865
Fyi this version must be a patch because router only showed maybe 20-30 MB downloaded compared to the 400-500MB downloaded for 39.5 and 39.6 respectively

Interestingly, after I clicked begin update it then downloaded about 400 MB. For 39.5 and 39.6, the updates were already pre-downloaded to the car.

I’m now on 39.7.

Mine pre-downloaded 492 MB exactly at midnight local time when going from 39.6 to 39.7. I noticed the update prompt this morning when I woke up.