Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my question is whether there are other people on here that have not received v9 update either? Should it take Tesla over a week to push it out to everyone? Thanks!

Yes, it can take at least a week or 2 or 3, etc. Currently, less than half the registered vehicles have the V9 update, so I wouldn't worry just yet that anything is preventing you from getting it. Just not your time. Welcome to the group.

Comes down to personal preference, visualization helps a lot of people understand how this new HVAC works.
The air vent visual stuff is great, very concrete visualization aid (which I don't need but whatever).

The button placement is objectively very bad UX. If the person that signed off on that is supposed to be employed as a UI designer they should be fired.

Into the sun.

In a manner that is the most awkward for them that we can feasibly implement.

:p

To all new Tesla owners... welcome.

I’m a 2x Tesla owner S/3.

This company is not Apple. They make cars. If they release the update to all owners and the same time and all cars break they can’t fix them all right then and that’s a bad look. The media and regular car companies would make commercials about it. Please just have patience and leave these people alone to work on getting the update out.

So some advice to keep yourself happy... I like to compare my Model 3 to my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. Service if you need it Jeep fights you for even very serious problems. Tesla sends a mechanic to my house and leaves a $140k P100D to enjoy while they fix my car. The Jeep updates... never. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Enjoy the car, don’t sweat the details. You have the most bad ass cutting edge vehicle on the road today. Be proud, not angry.

To all new Tesla owners... welcome.

I’m a 2x Tesla owner S/3.

This company is not Apple. They make cars. If they release the update to all owners and the same time and all cars break they can’t fix them all right then and that’s a bad look. The media and regular car companies would make commercials about it. Please just have patience and leave these people alone to work on getting the update out.

So some advice to keep yourself happy... I like to compare my Model 3 to my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. Service if you need it Jeep fights you for even very serious problems. Tesla sends a mechanic to my house and leaves a $140k P100D to enjoy while they fix my car. The Jeep updates... never. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Enjoy the car, don’t sweat the details. You have the most bad ass cutting edge vehicle on the road today. Be proud, not angry.

You had me with the first paragraph.
But having just gone through a complete drive failure (which now appears resolved, thankfully), I have to set the record straight on what others service experience might be.

They towed me 2 hours away to the SC, then Ubered me home. Phone rep was really helpful and supportive.
However - no loaner was offered until a couple days later, and I had to ask for it. Also, they didn't have any Tesla loaners available - and when my car was fixed, it was NOT delivered. Our other car is a Lexus 400h, which has always been rock solid, and all service we get a valet/loaner by default.

That being said, my displeasure vaporized as I drove my car home today. It's still unlike anything out there.
I think now that the customer base is growing exponentially, the red-carpet treatment that Tesla used to be able to offer has... changed. They simply don't have the resources.
But I knew what I was getting when I signed up, and am happy they are getting better all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic and GSP
This company is not Apple. They make cars. If they release the update to all owners and the same time and all cars break they can’t fix them all right then and that’s a bad look.

This thread is monstrous, so someone may have already said this, but the problem isn't their method of distribution, it's their communication. No where in that mass email is a new user (especially one that doesn't read fan sites like this) made to understand that the update isn't immediately available.

They are doing things correctly to protect themselves and the drivers of Tesla vehicles... but they definitely deserve a heaping a of criticism for not explaining this properly to the many thousands of brand-new Tesla drivers.

To be more on topic:
I was receiving notifications on my phone about the software update while it was in the SC. (I was able to see when my car was in the shop, or in the lot, or which door/trunk was open. Amazing!)
I'm loving the update.
The dash-cam ability and the browser are really cool features. My son was really happy that they kept the old Easter eggs, in addition to the Atari games.

Well, according to TeslaFi, it looks like there is a number of RWD 3s that have just started getting updates, but apparently, I've been told not to trust the data. Hopefully, it will ramp up quickly.

To be clear, I have no issue with waiting. When Summon/WiFi first came out, it took almost 6 weeks before I got the update. It was frustrating but knew it was being rolled out (never got any 24.x or 26.x updates, finally got summon with 28.1 on 8/17). The issue I had with this roll out is how it was clear there was preferential treatment - something I got used to from other manufacturers/dealers but was hoping Tesla was different. Unfortunately, they are not.

Of course, I'm about to get on a plane for a business trip to the East Coast so with my luck, I'll get the update notice and then it will get pulled before I can install it. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
The issue I had with this roll out is how it was clear there was preferential treatment - something I got used to from other manufacturers/dealers but was hoping Tesla was different. Unfortunately, they are not.

Well, the question of whether there is/was preferential treatment of AWD vehicles over RWD may be debatable. But even if there was a clear rollout to AWD vehicles first, we have no idea why.

There's been 8 revisions of the version 9 firmware that have gone out before we got it going wide. What if those revisions addressed some critical bug or safety issue that only affected AWD vehicles? If that's the case then obviously, you have to patch those first.

You can't assume that the lack of RWD rollout (if that even really existed) was preferential or malicious.

Well, the question of whether there is/was preferential treatment of AWD vehicles over RWD may be debatable. But even if there was a clear rollout to AWD vehicles first, we have no idea why.

There's been 8 revisions of the version 9 firmware that have gone out before we got it going wide. What if those revisions addressed some critical bug or safety issue that only affected AWD vehicles? If that's the case then obviously, you have to patch those first.

You can't assume that the lack of RWD rollout (if that even really existed) was preferential or malicious.

I did think of possibility of a safety issue, however, if that was the case, Tesla would have rolled that out in a smaller patch and not with massive changes of V9. If it was something critical, you get that fixed as fast as possible.

Also, a critical/safety issue would have been rolled out to people on LTE as well but so far I only heard of people receiving through WiFi.