Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a decent set of longer drives today and got to try the V9 EAP.
Very impressed.
It took a while for the new cameras to stabilize/calibrate so now the cars to the sides are rear don't leap around as much as they initially did.
The new lane change is MUCH smoother. It takes longer to move after the indicator stalk is pressed but switches off much sooner when the maneuver completes.
As others have mentioned, you can see many more lane alternatives and the car is much more centered in the lane during cornering.
Overall, much more relaxed and sure of itself than before. Also fewer attempts to dive off the highway at exits.
I'm going to be trying the commute in the morning, that will be the real test.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Some additional observations.

As with some, the browser is finicky - typically just a black screen but I have gotten it to work once or twice. I definitely wouldn't use it as a point while showing off the car (far too unpredictable). I also experienced the audio issue but after rebooting the car that appears to have cleared up.

Based on Twiglett's comment, I'm hoping the wiggly cars around me will stabilize more as the week goes by.

With real world data, I'm hoping we'll see some bug fixes before too long.

An my questions...

I've been hunting around the UI - weren't' we supposed to get a "PIN to Drive" and Pole Position in the arcade? I can see more games being easter eggs, but the anti-theft option should be pretty easy to dig up. Also, does the car support more than one PIN (different for each profile)?

Same situation. Received the notice while out of town on my phone. Back in town today to initiate the update on the car, and nothing there?

Same. Got the update notice on Saturday morning. Out of town so unable to update. Back tonight - all excited, check. Nothing there. Massive let down. I called Tesla but they are closed for non-roadside support. Maybe they don't do SW updates on Sundays without support??

As others have said, EAP is improved - car is better centered in the lane, not as abrupt accel/decel when cars move out/into lane, blind spot monitoring is awesome and I love seeing cars behind me now.

Anyone else notice that vehicles change from one type to another on the screen when they pass? It seems the rear, side, and forward cameras each identify vehicles separately. For example; car approaching from behind is identified on the screen as a sedan, as it moves to the side it is identified as a box truck, as it moves to the front it is identified as an SUV. It seems each camera re-identifies cars as they pass by.

• Informative
Reactions: P3D_Denver
It takes longer to move after the indicator stalk is pressed but switches off much sooner when the maneuver completes.

I've been away so have not been able to drive with V9 yet. Do other people see this as well?

This is very disappointing. Lane changes were already too slow and useless in L.A. traffic on V8, if it is even slower now, there is no point of even trying to use it anymore. We're not Florida retirees, I don't want the perpetual turn signal.

As others have said, EAP is improved - car is better centered in the lane, not as abrupt accel/decel when cars move out/into lane, blind spot monitoring is awesome and I love seeing cars behind me now.

Anyone else notice that vehicles change from one type to another on the screen when they pass? It seems the rear, side, and forward cameras each identify vehicles separately. For example; car approaching from behind is identified on the screen as a sedan, as it moves to the side it is identified as a box truck, as it moves to the front it is identified as an SUV. It seems each camera re-identifies cars as they pass by.
Yes, the display of other vehicles is very jittery, and vehicles to the sides tend to disappear and reappear, in addition to ping ponging around, even when at a full stop. I also have yet to see a pedestrian or bicycle show up. I thought for sure I’d see this bike, but it never showed up, even as I slowly passed. Do you have to be running them over to see them??

0BE0FC20-A5A0-45A4-B36D-636703F1A964.jpeg

Today was my first chance to try V9 39.7 driving around 160 miles round trip. Here are my observations: AP - it seems a little smoother and while driving the 91 freeway HOV lanes I had to take control twice driving into Newport Beach from Riverside, once when it took a curve a little too close to the wall for comfort and once when I was transitioning from the 91 to the 55 as it once again was to far to the left side and did not start the turn in when I expected even though it did slow down from 76 to 70. At the location where the 55 splits with the left branch of the Y going to the 405 FWY south and the right branch continuing on the 55 west, I had to take control as it first veered to the left then tried to straddle the Y. Here in southern CA exits lanes do not have the dashed lines across them and I found it continually trying to exit if I was in the right lane and crossed an exit. On the return drive I had one phantom braking situation but it was not quite as abrupt as they have been in the past and happened on a 4 lane surface street. Changing lanes is improved but still needs more work. It does a much better job when someone moves into your lane of slowing down much as a human would do instead of hard braking at the last minute as it used to do.

The web browser is hit and miss. It works sometimes when on WiFi and home and speeds are decent but on AT&T Late the best speed I saw was 20Mbs and that was erratic. The browser would frequently lock up or go black and only a reboot will recover it. It clearly needs more work.

The blind spot monitoring is a significant improvement but not fully there. One of the problems is that it only detects and displays vehicles that are very close to you. There is no long distance view of cars further back that might be closing on you at a rapid pace. As they say about convex mirrors, things are closer than they appear. In and of itself this might not be too bad if there was consistency but it seems that sometimes they look closer and other times they appear to be further away. You can't be sure. I am hoping that the distances will stabilize as the car is driven more and the jumping around will diminish. It does appear that the right side is better than the left.

I have gotten recording to work along with music on one stick with two partitions but I notice a lot of .REC files in the root directory so I'm not sure this is the best solution. I will report more as I get more experience.

I didn't try auto park but it sees parking space where there are none and doesn't see them where they do exist. A gave up today trying to use the auto park feature and just parked it myself.

I have gotten recording to work along with music on one stick with two partitions but I notice a lot of .REC files in the root directory so I'm not sure this is the best solution. I will report more as I get more experience.
Are the .REC files a result of having 2 partitions? I notice them in the root directory as well. Is there a negative for having those show up?

Drove over 700 miles this weekend all on 2018.39.7. I’ve done that same drive before with autopilot all the way back in May and I can definitely say that autopilot has improved significantly in that time. I ran into a few problems sure, but a vast majority of my drive I was able to rely on autopilot very confidently.

Still hitting the Slacker bugs several others here have mentioned. Most of the time my 3 will just show “loading error” when getting back in the car instead of continuing the last track where it left off. Also sometimes it’s switching to Bluetooth when I definitely had Slacker as my last used audio source.

Still a good amount of room for improvement all around but these updates are definitely heading in the right direction. Not for media though, seems a few steps back with 2018.39.7...

Reactions: C141medic and EinSV
Two issues with v9, versus v8 and previous versions, that I have noticed:

* The map gets progressively less and less responsive (both the animation while driving and if moved around via touch) and the animation (while driving) more or more jerky.

But, if you reboot, the map is instantly much more responsive (for a while... only to get progressively less and less responsive again, the longer you stay running without a reboot).

* The USB section of the UI has much worse performance than v8.

My thumb drive has about 5000 songs on it (mp3 format). Aside from the initial load time after a reboot, v8 had no trouble instantly switching to USB mode to browse songs. With v9, there is now a lag of several seconds when trying to view the song list (during which time the screen is non-responsive). It is quite a step backwards in terms of performance.

Side question...

V9 is still EAP correct so we are only utilizing 4 of the 8 cameras on the car? Per the specs for a new car 2.5 hardware I presume.
Why doesn't Tesla let EAP utilize all 8 cameras now but still keep it EAP

Just wondering?