Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Starting a general discussion thread for this version. So version 9 is finally being pushed to the fleet, currently version 2018.39.5.

Some additional official info from Tesla can be found here:
Discover Software Version 9.0

And here:
Introducing Software Version 9.0

Anxiously awaiting my update!!! I really wish we had the ability to force our cars to check for an update.

Still waiting for v9 update to be pushed out to me but just got a notification from the Tesla App on my iPhone about v9 and the details from the Inbox feature. Also just received an email from Tesla as well.

IMG_4546.PNG IMG_4547.PNG

My car is parked in my garage, connected to wifi and charging. Hope I can get the update by tonight!

Reactions: PoitNarf
We now have confirmation that all eight cameras are now in use with version 9. I recall a while ago that Tesla originally said that only four cameras would be used for EAP and that FSD would utilize all eight.

Really hope I get updated before my road trip next weekend.

Still waiting for v9 update to be pushed out to me but just got a notification from the Tesla App on my iPhone about v9 and the details from the Inbox feature. Also just received an email from Tesla as well.

View attachment 341213 View attachment 341214

My car is parked in my garage, connected to wifi and charging. Hope I can get the update by tonight!

Just received an email from Tesla as well. I hope this means it will be a rapid deployment!

Looks like blindspot monitoring only applies to FSD-active vehicles, because it uses the side cameras. So much for all vehicles getting all of the basic safety features.

"To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware."

Edit: As many pointed out, FSD hardware most likely means AP 2(.5), not FSD software upgrade activated, so all Model 3s will hopefully get blindspot monitoring. Phew!

Last edited:
Looks like blindspot monitoring only applies to FSD-active vehicles, because it uses the side cameras. So much for all vehicles getting all of the basic safety features.

"To improve safety and increase confidence when changing lanes, cars with Full Self-Driving hardware will now display a red lane line when your turn signal is engaged and a car or obstacle is detected in your target lane. There is no change to the display for cars without Full Self-Driving hardware."

All Model 3's have FSD hardware...

Reactions: Nathan and SoCalGuy

Notice it says "Full Self-Driving hardware". It says nothing about the software. It simply means AP1 vehicles won't get it.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and Nathan
I believe the Order page for Model S and X still describes all 8 cameras as functioning only where the Full Self Driving feature has been purchased. Interestingly, the Model 3 order page doesn’t make this same distinction, although I doubt Tesla would differentiate between the S/X and the Model 3 when it comes to camera usage for Autopilot without the FSD option purchased.

I believe the Order page for Model S and X still describes all 8 cameras as functioning only where the Full Self Driving feature has been purchased. Interestingly, the Model 3 order page doesn’t make this same distinction, although I doubt Tesla would differentiate between the S/X and the Model 3 when it comes to camera usage for Autopilot without the FSD option purchased.

I'm sure there's going to be some fluidity going forward in terms of differentiating EAP and FSD in terms of hardware usage and features. They might be backtracking on the "8 cameras only for FSD" thing, having found a need for 8 cameras to enable features they want to give everyone or EAP.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some disagreement in upper management of exactly which features go where, especially given mounting pressure (if not now, soon) to deliver something tangible to people who have put money down. Nav on AP (especially without confirmation) seems like it's kind of skirting the line.

So how mad are people going to be when Nav on AP comes back in a few weeks only for FSD purchasers? :eek:
GIven that Tesla is advertising it as an EAP feature to this day, I imagine there would be riots. ;)

"Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage."

Autopilot

• Informative
Reactions: cizUK and outdoors
I agree with the above. I opted to purchase FSD, but believe any safety related features should be standard (including blind spot monitoring). I also agree that usage of all 8 cameras, if necessary for a safe automatic lane change, should be enabled for extended autopilot users (even without FSD purchased) since automatic lane changes were generally described as an EAP feature.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Just got my notification that V9 was available as I connected to WiFi. I just started the update now. Says it should take 45 minutes. Fingers crossed that nothing funky happens during this update!

I normally wait a week or two after an iOS o MacOS update so that they have time to work out any bugs. I just couldn’t wait for this one - I need that web browser and dash cam!!!

UPDATE:
As soon as “Starting update” was replaced with “Update in progress” lots of mysterious sounds began. First a loud clunk from the rear (like something had fallen on the trunk), then the lights turned on for a couple minutes, then some clicks and clacks... 38 more minutes to go... (Yes, I am sitting in my car in my garage for this update... its my first Tesla software update so I wanted the full experience :))

UPDATE 2:
The car began to sing at minute 10 or so - more operatic in tone than jazz. After it stopped singing, silence. Then a few minutes another “bang!” This time from the front passenger quarter. I noticed on the screen it said “Unable to charge” for a few seconds then the message disappeared. Now more silence. Stay tuned.

UPDATE 3:
The screen rebooted and it said “Update complete... Checking status.” Then it pops open the “What’s New in V9.0” box. All in all, took 12 minutes or so. Super quick! Now time to test new features!

Last edited: