Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing there's a few version for various vintage cars/hardware setups? i.e. 2018.4.1 and 2018.4.5 are the same release really, just different cars get different versions of the same thing. I have 2018.4.1 ec044c8 and have a 2015 P90D with AP1. I don't imagine a 2017 100D with AP2.X is going to get the same version as me.
all cars (S and X, any vintage) get 100% byte for byte identical firmware file, it's just the bits your car does not have would not be used.

BED5B5B5-E647-4745-8659-F9412169F1F2.jpeg

Reactions: GaryW
Hey, at least a failed firmware update doesn't brick your car. Can't be said for BIOS updates on computers or graphics cards. I once had to de-solder a flash memory that held the video card firmware and swap it with a one with good firmware on it to get it to work again. Tesla have done a good job to ensure that a failed updated doesn't also corrupt the portion that allows you to try again.

Hey, at least a failed firmware update doesn't brick your car. Can't be said for BIOS updates on computers or graphics cards. I once had to de-solder a flash memory that held the video card firmware and swap it with a one with good firmware on it to get it to work again. Tesla have done a good job to ensure that a failed updated doesn't also corrupt the portion that allows you to try again.
I would be very disappointed if they hadn't thought about that and had no recovery option during unexpected failures. Should be common sense for a programmer :).

Most of these update "failures" (as they are called by the car) don't appear to actually be failures, but rather a preflight check failing and the car refusing to apply the update as a result. That seems to be a layer of defense working as intended.

It seems like some cars have an identity crisis about what door sensors they have. I would guess a running part change and a snafu in terms of which cars are marked to have the old vs new sensor config?