Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised we haven’t seen release notes yet!

Here you go:

dgnghx.jpg

vmya1u.jpg

Note: These are from my Model S, Model 3 Release Notes are different.

Here you go:

@NewTMSMan Thanks! How about some screen shots showing how this works?

Like does it only work with the MP in the medium size? How about in mini and large size? (Can you essentially get a small nav, rear camera, and mini media player up all at once?)

Can the browser be over the media player? (They don't mention it.)

Is media player really the only thing that can be under another app? (Can you have camera on the top and energy/trip on the bottom?)

Yes can be turned off, but my point is that the feature in it's current implementation is not good, not that I cannot turn it off. I know a lot of people have been excited over this feature so am just letting them know it is not good.

It was either on the S and X, and turn signal only on 3. With pull on AP stalk it is a little easier, but you will see what I mean about looking at the screen a lot to see if the car wants to change lanes.
It didn't ding when it wanted you to accept a lane change?

I hate this car... 3rd update this month :D
I hate this car... no update since 3 months! (I'm still on 32.4)

I don't follow you here. What parameter is being resolved to 20cm, using what type of measurements, and in what navigation solution mode? If you're talking about position accuracy, I don't see how that is possible given that the NEO-M8L only supports L1/E1 signals and produces either autonomous or SBAS-enhanced solutions. Numbers on the centi/decimetre level are usually referring to dual-frequency differential solutions that require local reference stations.
Sorry, I'm not really versed in Global Positioning Systems specs. I was just referring to what I heard from another Tesla owner, friend of mines.

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
It didn't ding when it wanted you to accept a lane change?

Yes seems to, but was not always and the ding notification is similar to the warning to move the wheel while on AP so you end up looking down and trying to figure out why it is notifying you. Just adds stress to AP actually.

This is not really what I mean though. As you use it you will be checking to see if it wants to change lanes when you think it should a lot. This means looking down a lot.

YMMV, check it out when you get it.

I received the 2018.42.2 update this morning and went for a test drive. My general feeling is that the car feels unpredictable with Navigate on Autopilot engaged. There will definitely be a period of adjust needed for me to predict the car's behavior in certain traffic situations. Here are some of my observations:

- Merging from on ramp seems to work better than before and will adjust its speed accordingly to merge with traffic. However, the experience can be a bit jerky and does not have feel confident.

- When transitioning from one freeway to another, Autopilot will automatically engage the turn signal and take the proper route through the freeway split in most cases. However, there was one occurrence where the freeway split was very wide and Autopilot prompted me to confirm a lane in change right before the split to make the transition.

- When exiting the freeway onto an off ramp, Autopilot will automatically engage the turn signal and exit the freeway by itself.

- Overtaking slower traffic requires the driver to confirm the lane change prompt by pulling on the stalk. If there is a car impeding the path of the lane change, the Autopilot will wait for the car to pass before changing lanes. In Mad Max mode, the car changes lanes quite aggressively and much earlier than before as the other car passes.

- Autopilot on exits with both on ramp and off ramp traffic that merge together does not work. On an on ramp, the car will merge but does not attempt to change lanes to enter the freeway. On off ramp, the car will slow down but does not prompt to change lanes or try to exist automatically when approaching the off ramp.

I have more observations but I need to go so I will try to update this post later.

Sorry, I'm not really versed in Global Positioning Systems specs. I was just referring to what I heard from another Tesla owner, friend of mines.

No problem. I think what ends up happening with a lot of these technical specifications is that mainstream writers who don't understand them will pick them up and then spin them into headlines that are completely out of context. Then people read them and get an incomplete or wrong idea.

For autonomous GNSS users in North America, we are served by GPS + WAAS, our regional augmentation system - it's nominally a ~1.5m accuracy system. In Europe, you are served by GPS, GLONASS, Galileo + EGNOS, which is a similar setup and enjoys similar accuracy performance.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG and f205v
Yes seems to, but was not always and the ding notification is similar to the warning to move the wheel while on AP so you end up looking down and trying to figure out why it is notifying you. Just adds stress to AP actually.

This is not really what I mean though. As you use it you will be checking to see if it wants to change lanes when you think it should a lot. This means looking down a lot.

YMMV, check it out when you get it.
Ah, I see. My complaint is that it seemed to ask to change lanes for no apparent reason. Like no one is in front of me, why do you want me in the left most lane? Especially when I have to get off on the right.

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
Ah, I see. My complaint is that it seemed to ask to change lanes for no apparent reason. Like no one is in front of me, why do you want me in the left most lane? Especially when I have to get off on the right.

Yeah I have seen this too, and does not seem to follow rules of the road properly, randomly choosing right passing. It does seem to react if you are in the left lane and get passed on the right by moving you right though and I have even seen an onscreen message saying something like "Following Traffic Rules"

My car pulled 7.5GB, then it stopped. Do you think it’s a maps update?

For context: I’m in Switzerland, running 34.1 and already have the new nav and maps.
My MS 100D pulled 6.79 GB of Data (Zürich) today and stopped as well. If I am not mistaken, the MCU after the download has to verify the file and prepare it for the update. We should hopefully get the "Update" Pop-up in the next hours. Maybe in EU, together with the 2018.42.2 Firmware, we will get also some sort of updated maps for the "Navigate on AP" feature (more detailed maps)... Let's see

• Informative
Reactions: digistyl3
Autopilot on exits with both on ramp and off ramp traffic that merge together does not work. On an on ramp, the car will merge but does not attempt to change lanes to enter the freeway. On off ramp, the car will slow down but does not prompt to change lanes or try to exist automatically when approaching the off ramp.

This seems absurd. These are very common freeway interchange layouts.

Someone needs to make a YouTube video of a ‘drive on nav’ Tesla endlessly circulating around a cloverleaf...

Discouraging. This release seems confirm just how far Tesla is from actual FSD.

Same here, no update since week 32.

P.S. I do have the same car spec as you do. Model S 100D, May 2017, AP2.0 MCU1, EAP, - Ocean Blue, Slipstream 19", all glass roof... Coincidence?
I hate this car... no update since 3 months! (I'm still on 32.4)

If possible, both of you guys should go to a Service Center and connect to the Guest Wifi with your vehicle for a while. Their Wifi has caches of the latest software versions and force pushes the most current software to all vehicles connected. I did this last month while charging.

If this fails you can always contact Tesla in your account and ask an engineer to push an update to your VIN.

P.S. Remember that the cars will only download updates through Wifi network connectivity as of several months ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515