Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far not overly impressed with Navigate on Autopilot. I engaged autopilot while on an onramp to the expressway. There was a car comfortably behind mine to the rear left, and another in front of me exiting (the onramp continues parallel to the highway and eventually converts to an offramp for the next exit). Despite signaling, the car was not going to change lanes onto the expressway without me intervening. It was very hesitant, slowing down, and speeding up seemingly at random, but not committing to a lane change. Once on the highway, I had my speed set to 70 MPH. Driving behind a truck going 50 in the far right lane almost 3 miles from my exit in light traffic, and the car never suggested a lane change to overtake the truck. I had the speed based lane changes set to aggressive. Instead I initiated a lane change myself. The car did suggest a lane change back to the right lane as I approached my exit, but then immediately began slowing down on the high way, dropping my speed below 50 MPH, despite my speed being set at 70 MPH and no vehicles in front of me and being approximately .5 miles away from my exit. I had to take over to avoid getting rear ended, re-engaged auto pilot, but the system then disengaged navigate on auto pilot before taking my exit.

Overall, pretty stressful to have to compensate for the software at this point. I can only assume this will improve over time.

Others have mentioned that the IC vehicle displays seemed less choppy, and more confident. I did not find that to be the case.

+'s
Helps more in advance with navigation and exits. Prompting you to be in correct lanes. Great for unfamiliar highways.
Actually taking exits and turns and cloverleafs
Turns off signal after completing lane change with minor confirmation. Kind of like how the 3 does auto lane change
No confirmation needed to take exit vs. needed for lane change

-'s
Not liking the speed of lane changes in moderate to heavy traffic. Needs to be quicker to take advantage of empty lane.
Speed on exits. Needs to be a little faster than a semi that takes an exit.
Sometimes sees me driving under an overpass that is an exit. Thus slowing car down thinking I am exiting freeway.(Not to be confused with phantom/ghost braking.)
Still not showing enough of the cars in blind spot that are there in the IC. Yes red line is there, but no car showing. Which doesn't make me trust it enough yet.

Close to what I want from EAP. No FSD here. Would be interested to hear about thoughts are on the commentary about the fleet providing data to fully release a non confirmation Noa.

Tesla said that owners have already “driven tens of millions of miles to support the validation of Navigate on Autopilot”, but CEO Elon Musk said that they will need about 10 million more miles to make the system automatically initiates the lane changes.

Ok I have 42.2 with EAP on MS 2018, how come I don't see the navOnAutopilot option in the Autopilot menu?
Because you are in Canada.
I see you're from Montreal, Canada?
Unfortunately Navigate on Autopilot is region restricted to the United States at this time. Tesla will roll out the Navigate on Autopilot functionality to other regions in the coming months.
Curious how it's determining this.... I wonder if a Canadian based car came across the border if it would then display the option to enable NoA? If not, that would suck. However, then I wonder if that same driver got a software update while in the states, and turned on NoA, would it stay enabled in Canada? Probably not, but... With how buggy V9 (ahem, all Tesla firmware) seems to be, who knows!

I hope how it works is that everyone is getting the code, but the option to enable it is geofenced to the US border.

Reactions: Ahzuz
Got 42 today morning, update went smooth. I'm not going to comment on the nav on AP yet as I dont get to really use it on commute so its not a big deal for me until I hit a road trip or longer drive. But I'll post some comments on the other stuff/changes here

1 - Splitting UI into three apps is neat, now it makes more sense overall to have 9 over the previous UI, atleast there is some added functionality. However there are still a few limitations/caveats
  • Camera cannot be on top, can only be in the middle or bottom AFAIK
  • Browser cannot "share" the screen, it replaces the music app, so Browser still limits you to 2 apps
  • Music player is the static entity in the 3 app layout, you can't customize it to share say Energy and Camera (which would be nice btw)
  • Really annoyance is that the Music app keeps reverting back to the larger size and doesn't remember to stay in the compact/mini player format. This HAS to be fixed IMO as it is very frustrating
  • Maps still appear usable with three apps on there and music app as mini player, with full music and camera though, the maps are very small
  • The white overlay around the camera is not very elegant looking, I wish this was either thinner or not there at all
2 - There is definitely an improvement in audio bass quality and quantity (2017 standard audio system). I listenened to the same song yesterday night and today morning with no changes to the EQ and went, huh, bass drum where were you yesterday? Overall sound seems fuller and with better bass.
3 - I don't see as much darting around of nearby cars as before on the driver console.
4 - My low beams stayed on in auto headlights mode and never turned off, its bright and sunny outside but for some reason the lights stayed on, gotta check to see if it retains this behavior or its a one time anamoly
5 - I really wish you could just stack on a slim bar at the bottom for the aircon controls, its quite annoying to have to hit that fan and then look at the screen to select, I have to take the eyes off the road too much for a simple A/C on/off. Better yet, just give us a steering option to just cycle through A/C on/off/auto

Will post AP updates once I get a chance to try it out

Fwiw I was on mad Max. Would like it madder than the Mad Hatter at this point to handle Chicago.

Yeah I drove down 94 from the north shore all the way to Randolph St. and back. After the 90/94 split when traffic mellowed out it was pretty solid but there really needs to be a further "big city rush hour" setting that cranks the lane change up to 42 or whatever.

Reactions: croman
On 42.2 I still get cars that are in the adjacent lane showing as being 1/3 over the line into my lane. I do not trust the display enough to rely on it, but I still like it because most of the time it will show me there's a car there. When I know there's a car, I don't have to look back, because I already know I cannot change lanes. I see this as a small safety feature: less looking back; fewer aborted lane-change attempts because the car already told me I can't.

Still no release notes, though either I misspoke when I said the box was greyed out, or that changed. The release notes box has a proper white background, but no content.

Sometimes sees me driving under an overpass that is an exit. Thus slowing car down thinking I am exiting freeway.(Not to be confused with phantom/ghost braking.)

This has been happening for many releases, ever since they released the feature where it would slow down on exit ramps automatically. It is sometimes dangerous; I've had the car slow down rapidly at very surprising times when I'm near but not on an exit; I'm going to get rear-ended some day, I just know it.

Got 42 today morning, update went smooth. I'm not going to comment on the nav on AP yet as I dont get to really use it on commute so its not a big deal for me until I hit a road trip or longer drive. But I'll post some comments on the other stuff/changes here

1 - Splitting UI into three apps is neat, now it makes more sense overall to have 9 over the previous UI, atleast there is some added functionality. However there are still a few limitations/caveats
  • Camera cannot be on top, can only be in the middle or bottom AFAIK
  • Browser cannot "share" the screen, it replaces the music app, so Browser still limits you to 2 apps
  • Music player is the static entity in the 3 app layout, you can't customize it to share say Energy and Camera (which would be nice btw)
  • Really annoyance is that the Music app keeps reverting back to the larger size and doesn't remember to stay in the compact/mini player format. This HAS to be fixed IMO as it is very frustrating
  • Maps still appear usable with three apps on there and music app as mini player, with full music and camera though, the maps are very small
  • The white overlay around the camera is not very elegant looking, I wish this was either thinner or not there at all
2 - There is definitely an improvement in audio bass quality and quantity (2017 standard audio system). I listenened to the same song yesterday night and today morning with no changes to the EQ and went, huh, bass drum where were you yesterday? Overall sound seems fuller and with better bass.
3 - I don't see as much darting around of nearby cars as before on the driver console.
4 - My low beams stayed on in auto headlights mode and never turned off, its bright and sunny outside but for some reason the lights stayed on, gotta check to see if it retains this behavior or its a one time anamoly
5 - I really wish you could just stack on a slim bar at the bottom for the aircon controls, its quite annoying to have to hit that fan and then look at the screen to select, I have to take the eyes off the road too much for a simple A/C on/off. Better yet, just give us a steering option to just cycle through A/C on/off/auto

Will post AP updates once I get a chance to try it out

The UI “fix” feels like a petulant developer said “there, it’s at the top now” while giving us the middle-finger.

Everything else is awesome.

Guys, how is the blind spot warning supposed to work?

When driving manually, you signal the lane change and you check you side and mirror. If there is a car in the blind spot, the car will just show a red line. No audible warning? It's increasing the workload not actually helping. The classic solution with the red light inside the side mirror is definitely much better, what Tesla did ist just useles. Do they really expect, that after turn signal, the driver has to check the dash for the red line, then the side and the side mirror? Wtf?

On the other hand when driving on AP it works great.

The UI “fix” feels like a petulant developer said “there, it’s at the top now” while giving us the middle-finger.

Exactly this. And I am a petulant developer, so I can speak with authority. :)
(It's actually not a bad method to drive the design discussions forward, but I don't think that's happening here.)

Agreed. It is 'better' but still looks like crap. Still can't close or remove Nav/Maps, it is annoying and distracting, icon/buttons are too small, with the bottom makes it makes them all harder to see, I still constantly fiddle with the interface to do what I want. I guess it is good that I can now get back to camera/music (which are the two apps I use most) but usability still sucks and the busy screen of having apps floating over maps is distracting.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayW and JohnnyG
When driving manually, you signal the lane change and you check you side and mirror. If there is a car in the blind spot, the car will just show a red line. No audible warning? It's increasing the workload not actually helping. The classic solution with the red light inside the side mirror is definitely much better, what Tesla did ist just useles. Do they really expect, that after turn signal, the driver has to check the dash for the red line, then the side and the side mirror? Wtf?.

I do things differently and it works for me. Before signaling, I check the side mirrors first, then my center screen display (model 3) for any cars popping up behind me on the display. If things look good, I then signal to make the lane change, wait 2 seconds, check my screen real quick and make the lane change. Works great.

I do things differently and it works for me. Before signaling, I check the side mirrors first, then my center screen display (model 3) for any cars popping up behind me on the display. If things look good, I then signal to make the lane change, wait 2 seconds, check my screen real quick and make the lane change. Works great.

Well, IMHO, this is exactly how NOT to drive and do a lane change safely. The blind spot warning should be a tool to warn you when doing a mistake, not to be another item to check on every lane change. It is not helping at all. A simple audible warning or at least a big portion of the dash flashing red on the occupied side would be the proper thing.

You got a like simply for not misspelling bass.

Does anyone with NoA want to comment on how smoothly it responds if you simply turn on the indicator yourself when it hasn't suggested a lane change?

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
Got the update last night, this morning I have to reboot the 17" unit to get moving. Tested the autopilot navigate. It works to certain degree as I set my expectation low on beta.

1. It has trouble to determine I am on the right most lane which leads to an exit that's only half way to my office. When it figures out, it's already too late and I have to disengage and change the lane myself.

2. When it came to the right exit, it's again too slow to tell me and fortunately there isn't any traffic at the moment, otherwise I am traveling too fast and missed the exit.

3. It's not really this version's problem but has been happening for a while. After exiting the service road which has a slight downward slope that leads to a red light. If there is a car waiting on the red light already and no car traveling between us (I have to travel some distance to reach it). TACC won't stop/detect the car in the front until it gets really close. I am sure it will crash right into it if I don't apply brake - since it's traveling @55mph speed limit of the service road.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle