Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same for me, no mention at all in release notes of Navigate on Autopilot also no toggle switch in settings. (AP 2.0 car with EAP) It’s odd that this release has been rolling out for days now without any of these issues and then just with in the last couple hours there have been multiple reports of it being absent from the release notes.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60 and bollar
This is also being discussed in the Model X forum: USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

So quick update on this issue. And just to clarify, I updated last night, but the option for NoA was not in the setting screen at all, nor was NoA mentioned in the new release notes. Now for the update: When I got home from work today, I checked the car and the NoA setting WAS there, and I could enable it. I have no idea what happened. Tesla support also hasn't emailed me back, but maybe they did something remotely or on their end. Who knows? At any rate, I'll cross post this on the other subforum for those wondering.

I don’t have enough time with this update but so far I have to say: This is surprisingly useful and a nice improvement from 9.0 (39.6) even! Definitely not a gimmick. As usual with a lot of Tesla’s AP updates, the real improvements are not in the features but in the polish to existing functionality:

- Nav on AP: I’ve used it to complete a few interchange transitions and exit off the freeway. It works the way I expected it to, but I’ve been watching videos of it for a while now. As others have said: It’s definitely not a self-driving car yet. In extremely heavy traffic and the absence of nice drivers, it has a tough time making the lane transitions it needs to make to get off. Other than that, in the Bay Area it’s behaving pretty correctly. I actually like that it requires confirmation: It’s suggested a lot of pointless lane changes in Mad Max mode which humans would know are futile or inappropriate based off traffic patterns. It would actually suck more to have to disengage Autopilot to override those.
- Auto Lane Change has MASSIVELY improved from the original 9.0 release. It no longer inappropriately slows down when merging into a faster lane. It does a much better job at slow speeds of applying the right amount of steering to move over quickly rather than meandering between lane lines. It also seems better than before at understanding if a nearby car is letting you in or closing their gap to block you, and behaves like a human would in each of those situations.
- Blind Spot / lane change monitoring is much improved. Today, I had it refuse to move into a HOV lane when it saw fast moving traffic 200-300ft behind. Although no cars displayed in the left lane, Nav On AP drew a red line saying that it wanted to move into the HOV lane but it was not safe to do so.
- City driving is less erratic, it has less tendency to randomly jerk the steering wheel when lane lines are irregular.
- Overall, Surround View is a little better at stability. It still sometimes looks a little unstable or loses track of one of the cars ahead in adjacent lanes but overall it’s noticeably improved from the original 9.0 release.

I’m honestly a little surprised that so much improvement happened from the 9.0 release. It definitely seems like the team is hard at work. Looking forward to putting more miles on Nav on AP!

Found a new issue:

The Nav on Autopilot does not know double yellow line. I live in California. HOV lane and regular lane are divided by double yellow lines. You can only merge in or out of the HOV lane when there is an opening (dash line).

In numerous occasions on numbers of different freeways, NoA suggested lane change to HOV lane thru double yellow lane. Good that I need to confirm lane change at the moment.

Later, when it activates unassisted lane change, the car may just move in or out of HOV lane illegally.

• Informative
Reactions: RLC3 and ironwaffle
Thread TLDR, just wanted to update those though thought Elon listened about the Camera. The camera is still on the bottom as before, and the only way to push it 80% of the way up (not all the way) is to pop up the media player. You cannot have the camera close to the top with anything else but the media player under it. As soon as the media player closes, camera moves back to the bottom.

So while possibly satisfying those who like camera on top and media player on the bottom. 42.x does not address any other scenarios. Personally I never keep the media player up on the screen any longer than it takes to switch the audio source, so while I want the camera up, having to waste half of the large screen to show the media player is crappy experience. :(

Nothing else addressed, still takes many clicks to get to suspension settings, or to make a phone call, etc. Still the crapiest UI Telsa has ever put out, at least for a Model S since that's all I've been driving since 2013.

Very disappointing to hear. I have a 2016 MS and drive with the camera on top, and browser(waze) on the bottom. This maximizes safety because the fisheye lense is excellent at seeing the rear of cars in my blindspot, and I like waze showing me where construction/hazards/cops are. Unbelievable that this configuration isn't possible anymore. I guess I'm staying on v8 for the foreseeable future... how annoying to dismiss with the update popup every drive (which, BTW, blocks the rear camera while backing up).

So quick update on this issue. And just to clarify, I updated last night, but the option for NoA was not in the setting screen at all, nor was NoA mentioned in the new release notes. Now for the update: When I got home from work today, I checked the car and the NoA setting WAS there, and I could enable it. I have no idea what happened. Tesla support also hasn't emailed me back, but maybe they did something remotely or on their end. Who knows? At any rate, I'll cross post this on the other subforum for those wondering.

I still don’t have the setting.

Bill

I got the update Monday morning. I enabled NoA in the settings and selected Mad Max mode. I drove 50+ miles mostly on the highway and never got the option for NoA on the turn-by-turn directions as I would have expected. I drove the same roads yesterday and still didn't see the option for NoA. While sitting in the car waiting to pick someone up the NoA button showed up on the directions. I used it to my destination. Then, I used it again on the way back. It does seem that the cameras needed calibrating before NoA was available.

Now, my only complaint with this update is that it seems I'm back to having the old problem where the browser doesn't work for any websites. It only works after a reboot. But it only works for that drive. It doesn't work the next time I get in the car. I had a similar issue several updates ago (v8). It was only resolved after an update.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
OK, am I the only person who usually puts on the turn signal several hundred feet before reaching my exit? NoA in my experience, even though it knows the exit is coming up, waits until the deceleration lane is halfway behind it before even putting on the signal. And then it just immediately zooms over. The point of a turn signal is to signal in advance.

Not really related, but just wanted to make the observation that whenever someone uses the term "blind spot", I read that as "I can't be bothered to learn to properly adjust my mirrors". The Model S does not HAVE a blind spot. I haven't driven a MX or M3, but I'll wager they don't have one either.

(place Dislikes here:rolleyes:)
IMO, S & X are both difficult/impossible to see directly behind if there are rear passengers. If the rear view isn't blocked, I agree.

Day 3 commuting with NoA... it has still never once actively merged onto a highway. If I don't take over, it just cruises all the way to the end of the acceleration lane and then swerves over into the highway lane at the last minute, as the lane is ending, without ever signalling or prompting for a lane change. For exit ramps, as I said above, it waits until the deceleration lane is half gone before signalling and taking the exit, which if the deceleration lane is short (most are around here) is a real problem.

Last night I got to try it on several highway interchanges because I had a longer drive. It was 1 for 4 on those interchanges; the other 3 times I had to take over.

I think I've figured out how NoA actually works. It doesn't really know much about lanes in absolute terms, like "this section of highway has 4 regular lanes and one entrance ramp acceleration lane which ends in 200ft, and I am currently in the acceleration lane", or "I am currently in lane 2 out of 4" or anything like that. I could be wrong, but based on my experience I think it's much simpler; it more or less knows only "I am in the rightmost lane because there's nothing to my right", or "I am in the leftmost lane because there's nothing to my left". And if it knows it's supposed to be exiting right in 1 mile, it just asks for lane changes to the right until there's nothing to its right.

Extremely disappointing and in my experience -- let me reiterate that this part is not conjecture but is my actual experience from using NoA on urban highways -- it is completely useless for urban highways and for commuting in heavy traffic. Never mind heavy traffic -- I've done two evening commutes that were well past rush hour and traffic was about as light as it ever is in an urban area, and it still couldn't handle it.

I imagine that the feature works pretty well on generous and simple highways of the sort you find in suburban and rural areas, or more recently-constructed urban highways in places with plenty of land area to devote to huge, gentle interchanges and ramps. (E.g. Atlanta and most other Southern cities, and most Midwestern cities). It's not even close to being able to handle space-constrained urban or hilly/mountainous highways.

It will probably be great on a road trip. Which is I do a handful of times per year. But the added value it brings even on a road trip, over what TACC and Autosteer already provide, is very very slim. I would venture to bet that it needs to get it right at least 9 times out of 10 to be worth it in whatever context you're using it, because when it gets it right that's sort of nice but not really all that useful, but when it gets it wrong it's at minimum annoying and scary and at worst dangerous.

Right now, for me, NoA has gotten it right 2 times out of 15 (I'm counting each entrance/exit and each interchange I've tried separately). When it gets it right 9 times out of 10 I'll consider it a cool trick. When it gets it right 19 times out of 20 it will be a somewhat valuable feature, but then again nothing nearly as valuable as TACC+Autosteer+ALC already gives me. When it gets it right with ULC 999,999 times out of 1,000,000, and the other 1 time does something wrong/annoying but still safe, Tesla will maybe have something they can claim is a highway L3 system (which they more or less implied EAP would be, and definitely FSD needs to be). They have a long way to go.

Reactions: Kant.Ing