Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have exactly the same noise coming from the left front indeed when AP/TACC has to break hard. I don't think the noise is related to releasing the brake pedal. To me it appears the noise happens whilst braking, not after it stopped braking. It sounds more like it would when you manually break hard and ABS kicks in (especially when driving on slippery surface, like snow).

One thing you can try and see if it correlates with the sound you are experiencing: Take your shoe off and place your toes under the brake pedal. When the brake pedal depresses and releases it literally pulsates. You can feel it with you toes much more than any other way. My Service center replaced the Electromechanical Brake Booster and it continued this behavior.

I will, anecdotally at this point, say that software version 48.1 which I received last Friday during a Tesla Ranger visit, has seemed to all but fix this issue. Except for extreme braking circumstances the issue you are describing that had plagued me for 60+k miles has seemingly vanished. If you haven't received 48.1 yet please let us know after you install it and have some miles on it if it seems to help 98%+.

Reactions: hiroshiy and croman
One thing you can try and see if it correlates with the sound you are experiencing: Take your shoe off and place your toes under the brake pedal. When the brake pedal depresses and releases it literally pulsates. You can feel it with you toes much more than any other way. My Service center replaced the Electromechanical Brake Booster and it continued this behavior.

I will, anecdotally at this point, say that software version 48.1 which I received last Friday during a Tesla Ranger visit, has seemed to all but fix this issue. Except for extreme braking circumstances the issue you are describing that had plagued me for 60+k miles has seemingly vanished. If you haven't received 48.1 yet please let us know after you install it and have some miles on it if it seems to help 98%+.
I have 48.1 and still get the weird noise when AP does a hard brake. I've noticed in stop and go it's much less herky jerky at following distance "2" rather than "1"... Overall it is better than 42.x for sure. But I do still get the noise. I want to do more testing but I'm hoping the noise is indeed AP letting the brake pedal flop back up too quickly... To be fair I didn't know AP even made the brake pedal moved until you guys mentioned it a few posts back! :oops: Anyhow, as a previous poster said, I normally hear the sound WHILE it's breaking... more testing needed to confirm. My first suspicion was that I had the noisy front suspension but maybe it's just AP releasing the brake quickly... Will come back and share my observations once I feel more certain.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, it seems to be while braking. What I think is happening is that it starts braking with the physical brake pedal, then regenerative braking takes over quickly and it lets go of the brake pedal causing the sound. If someone wants to test this, I would imagine the sound goes away when regenerative braking is set to low or when the battery is too cold for regenerative braking.

2018.48.12.1 d6999f5 Shows on TeslaFi with 32 cars

Just got it here, as well.

-Emissions testing mode
-Romance mode
-Climate remain on after exiting (>= 20% battery)
-Seat/steering wheel control via app
-Pole Position (with wheel/pedal/USB controls)

It's great.

IMG_20181218_142413.jpg

IMG_20181218_142437.jpg

-Climate remain on after exiting (>= 20% battery)
-Seat/steering wheel control via app

I didn't see any pictures of these notes, any chance you can post them too?

Pole Position (with wheel/pedal/USB controls)

I wonder how long until there is a limited edition Tesla branded controller. (Or do you think they just use a Xbox controller like they did for the boring machine?)

I didn't see any pictures of these notes, any chance you can post them too?

Can't now but will be able to in a bit. I didn't snag those as I was in a hurry.

Just got this as well.

I'm not seeing the -> -Seat/steering wheel control via app

Has the android app that supports this been released?

I'm not able to either, so I'm guessing the app is catching up.

Just to clarify it appears that this is just control the heat for the seats and steering wheel, if equipped with a heat capable steering wheel. Not adjusting the seats/steering wheel which is what I first thought of. (And really doesn't make sense.)

What are you saying is the difference? The car already turned on seat heater when preconditioning if the driver profile had them on, so that wouldn't be new unless you could turn it on/off via the app. Also, the notes mention a required app version, so there's definitely a tie-in.

What are you saying is the difference? The car already turned on seat heater when preconditioning if the driver profile had them on, so that wouldn't be new unless you could turn it on/off via the app. Also, the notes mention a required app version, so there's definitely a tie-in.

The notes say that you can turn on, off, or adjust the heat controls from the app. So I take it to mean that you could put a tablet in the back seat and the backseat passengers could control their own seat. (As well as yours.)

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The notes say that you can turn on, off, or adjust the heat controls from the app. So I take it to mean that you could put a tablet in the back seat and the backseat passengers could control their own seat. (As well as yours.)

Ah, now I see you originally were comparing to *moving* the seats/wheel. No, that would make no sense. It's controlling the heat settings.

The ability to pre-heat the steering wheel is also new I believe. And quite welcome -- I don't know why they never did this before.