Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
September 2016 delivery refresh with AP1 MCU1 2018.48.12. Here is what I noticed:
1. Someone already mentioned and I can confirm that only front doors open with handle touch.
2. When I set climate to “HI” from house when I walk up to the car it won’t open itself, I have to get key out and press lock/unlock (one press, double press) at least 10 times before I can unlock the car. Annoying
3. With climate set on “HI” I also ictivete one of the seat heaters, however when get in the car after 10-15 minutes seat is cold as all the other seats in the vehicle

Schedule Service just appeared although it wasn't there a few hours ago.

It doesn't get that cold for me so I could get by with just seat heaters, so requiring climate control on is a bummer.
Mine has reappeared now to and it seems to be stable now, I wish we had the options of just heated seats, heated seats with climate control on and battery precondition only no climate control on.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
My car updated to 2018.48.12.1 about 3 or 4 days ago, for me this has been a real stinker. I am finding the MCU totally freezes at least once every drive requiring a reset, reverse assistance (camera and sensors) intermittently work. Spotify drops out.
Is anyone else having similar issues with this update? I only updated hoping the bug with the phone BT being muted when answering sometimes was fixed, looks like I've gone further backwards.

My car updated to 2018.48.12.1 about 3 or 4 days ago, for me this has been a real stinker. I am finding the MCU totally freezes at least once every drive requiring a reset, reverse assistance (camera and sensors) intermittently work. Spotify drops out.
Is anyone else having similar issues with this update? I only updated hoping the bug with the phone BT being muted when answering sometimes was fixed, looks like I've gone further backwards.

I also find this version extremely unstable.

Reactions: bollar and P100D_Me
Can you not see this? when climate is on you can adjust individual seat heater settings; at least I can.

View attachment 362977

On a side note, it's amazing how your app renders your car's Next Gen seats, even with the big back seat side bolsters. :cool:
I have the Premium ventilated seats (gen 3) on my Model S, but I get the gen 1 seat render on my app.

212D2694-E0A9-443C-8583-9F8513B08B71.jpeg
On a side note, it's amazing how your app renders your car's Next Gen seats, even with the big back seat side bolsters. :cool:
I have the Premium ventilated seats (gen 3) on my Model S, but I get the gen 1 seat render on my app.

The app is all knowing:eek: I wonder if service can change this like the avatar? Say if in the future one changed their interior.
Regarding the new update (48.12) I believe others have mentioned this but there was a weird glitch with the graphics when charging.

I also find this version extremely unstable.
Well glad I'm not the only one, I noticed on Teslafi that many cars are updating from 48.12.1 to 48.12.2 already. And this is why Tesla must allow owners to force an update request rather than wait in hope because as it is now the car is just too annoying to drive until these issues are sorted. It's going to be 35°C to 40°C where I am this week so I can't have a car that I can't turn the A/C on with because the screen freezes and won't reboot properly.

Can you not see this? when climate is on you can adjust individual seat heater settings; at least I can.

View attachment 362977
Except that is doesn't actually work, at least on out 2018 MS. Both of our MS now have the app ability to control heared seats and wheel, so u gave it a try last night in the older one. Here is what happened:
  1. I turned the car on for preheat
  2. When I went to touch the drivers seat, all seats turned on
  3. Every time I touched a seat it other seats wound change. That took about a minute, After which I finally got it to just the driver seat heating and a steering wheel.
  4. The windshield+mirror defrost on top right (I assume since it has the same icon) was on and not controllable.
  5. Left it to preheat for about a half hour
  6. I get in the car, the car is warm, but seat and steering wheel are cold. The screen says they are on. I say in the car for a couple of minutes, seat might have started warming but definitely not at setting 3 which it was on (not sure since it could have just been me warming it up) but the steering wheel remained completely cold.
  7. Had to turn the steering wheel off and back on, then heat came right away. Similar with seats.
So, feature is there but doesn't actually work. We really need to move Elon, who seems to be Tesla's sole QA member, somewhere with all 4 seasons. That, and possibly it works on other versions of hardware. With the hardware changes they make every 2 weeks, of which Elon has been so proud of, I bet they didn't keep each configuration for testing, so they cannot test on all configurations.

Well glad I'm not the only one, I noticed on Teslafi that many cars are updating from 48.12.1 to 48.12.2 already. And this is why Tesla must allow owners to force an update request rather than wait in hope because as it is now the car is just too annoying to drive until these issues are sorted. It's going to be 35°C to 40°C where I am this week so I can't have a car that I can't turn the A/C on with because the screen freezes and won't reboot properly.
.2 appears to be a Europe / rest of world update.

• Helpful
Reactions: P100D_Me and croman

Yes, my MCU1 car behaves the same way. Had it lock up in Spotify and completely reboot itself yesterday.

So far I’ve found leaving the sketch pad open in the BG instead of maps to be the only thing that helps.

(Also, if it stops responding, don’t touch it for a minute... eventually it gets responsive again and registers the touch, but if I keep touching it, for example to select a playlist... then it reboots).

Except that is doesn't actually work, at least on out 2018 MS. Both of our MS now have the app ability to control heared seats and wheel, so u gave it a try last night in the older one. Here is what happened:
  3. Every time I touched a seat it other seats wound change. That took about a minute, After which I finally got it to just the driver seat heating and a steering wheel.
  4. The windshield+mirror defrost on top right (I assume since it has the same icon) was on and not controllable.
  6. I get in the car, the car is warm, but seat and steering wheel are cold. The screen says they are on. I say in the car for a couple of minutes, seat might have started warming but definitely not at setting 3 which it was on (not sure since it could have just been me warming it up) but the steering wheel remained completely cold.
  7. Had to turn the steering wheel off and back on, then heat came right away. Similar with seats.
So, feature is there but doesn't actually work. We really need to move Elon, who seems to be Tesla's sole QA member, somewhere with all 4 seasons. That, and possibly it works on other versions of hardware. With the hardware changes they make every 2 weeks, of which Elon has been so proud of, I bet they didn't keep each configuration for testing, so they cannot test on all configurations.

It works for me. 2018 MS.

2) same here
3) They were fairly responsive. If you press and hold the driver's seat, all of them will go off. There's a communication via LTE, cloud services, and then the car, which has to send a response back that it has actually been done. There should be something that blocks the user from taking further action on one seat until the change is confirmed, if the button has been idle (not 2 consecutive presses).
4) Yeah it does nothing which is kinda sad.
6) Must be buggy software which doesn't account for lag in services, and the state is out of sync.
7) yup sync error.

They need a QA department, testing all hardware and software revisions. And I do mean actually testing it. not just sitting with a virtual machine or whatever in the office with top wifi connection.

Reactions: P100D_Me

I'm also having to reboot my MCU1 every day now. Pin to drive keypad seems to move around the screen and no longer be central. I've also had it freeze. Bluetooth is a mess. Delays answering after I click answer call with the wheel button and the muted issue also for me. Web browser will actually load a web page for me now. But after viewing a few pages seems to crash and go blank.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
I'm also having to reboot my MCU1 every day now. Pin to drive keypad seems to move around the screen and no longer be central. I've also had it freeze. Bluetooth is a mess. Delays answering after I click answer call with the wheel button and the muted issue also for me. Web browser will actually load a web page for me now. But after viewing a few pages seems to crash and go blank.
Pin to drive moving around was added as a feature. It is to prevent someone from seeing your repeated fingerprints on the screen and deriving your pin from there.

4x4x4x4=256 possible choices. Don't forget repeated numbers.

Edit I guess with repeated numbers you would see less than 4 spots having fingerprints. So I'm not entirely correct either.

Yes, that is what I was assuming. But now I am wondering if seeing the same pattern in 3 different spots on the touchscreen would be any better, assuming other buttons pressed don’t interfere with the patterns. I guess if someone is really paranoid the solution is keep the screen dirty?

+1 on a Dec 2016 MS 90D