TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Update 2018.48.x

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BigNick, Dec 5, 2018.

1. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Another case for rebooting after every software install. I do it every time after a couple of releases a year or so ago had issues that were fixed with a reboot. No clue why it helps but it definitely does.

2. conman

conman Member

To be honest, this is the first time in 18 months that I've needed to do it, AND the problem has returned after a day. So whatever the problem is, it's still there and rebooting only temporarily fixes it :(

• Like x 1
  3. Ken7

Ken7 Member

It’s strange that some owners are affected by a software bug and many others aren’t. I wonder what the variables are that allow one owner to be impacted and another not? Tesla has no lock on this phenomenon. We also own a Honda Clarity and it’s no different there, with some owners affected by something software related and others not. However there we don’t get OTA software updates and issues may not even get addressed by Honda. Those that are addressed may take a long time and will require a visit to the dealer. It’s the same thing with an iPhone, some users have issues with the same iteration of firmware that many others don’t.

Most of the issues I’ve seen discussed on these pages haven’t impacted me in my 15 months of ownership, so I’ve been lucky (I shouldn’t have said that). Any issue I’ve had, such as the ‘systems powering up’ message, are fleeting and either tend not to repeat or occur very rarely. The only lasting issue I’ve had is the infamous yellow screen borders on the display and that’s not related to software.

It would be interesting to know how pervasive a given software bug is. Judging from what I see here, some issues seem to only affect a relative few number of owners, otherwise we’d have software bug threads that run 100 pages long. Others are more widespread.

4. whitex

whitex Active Member

I've always said that over-the-air updates are a double edge sword. While they provide you with new features, and fixes, they also allow the company to sell unfinished products, Tesla being the extreme case, selling even complete vaporware (FSD anyone?). Given how v9 made the UI harder to use, took away features, broke the browser completely, the only positive from OTA updates to me is security patches, but they come a cost (in one instance literally, - $600 for a broken mirror after Tesla in their wisdom decided to auto-unfold the mirrors when the car starts moving, my wife missed that bullet in the release notes, and when backing out of a spot she's backed out of many times with folded mirrors, after the update mirrors auto-unfolded and game over for the mirror. The very next release at least they changed to only unfold above some speed threshold, not any speed above 0, but too late for my wife's car).

5. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

Been thinking about the comments regarding seats not warm when entering car later (after turning them on remotely):
    Wouldn't Tesla want to ensure one's butt is in the car seat (meaning the operator is there and in control of car) before allowing it to heat up? Thinking an actual heated surface (seat vs just warm vented air) could become a fire hazard in certain circumstances, or maybe there was something left on seat operator did Not want melted?

6. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

As I found the auto-wipers a nuisance so I turned it off previously. Thanks to your post I tried the auto-wipers again and I must say that they improved considerably with the new update. They are usable now.

7. croman

croman Active Member

I think that the seat heating elements only work when compressed.

• Disagree x 2
  8. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I agree. I had them on for 400 km through varying degrees of falling precipitation and I didn’t think of them once. That means they worked well:)

9. DJP31

DJP31 Member

I suspect they might be on but don’t really work until compressed. My app showed all 5 seats on, but when I get in the car only the drivers is on, to a different heat level that’s shown on the app. Seems about as useful as a chocolate teapot at the moment.

• Funny x 1
  10. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Come on it’s Christmas, it’s the thought that counts. This whole 3.8 app update seems to have been rushed out the door a little too quickly. I’m sure it will get exchanged for a new one in a week or two. We all get a 30day gift exchange policy right?

Is anyone able to see their service booking option on the app? Or did it disappear for everyone else too? It disappeared on mine about 10 minutes after I posted that I could see the past service visits with it, coincidence?

• Like x 1
  11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.48.12.1

We can see the Schedule Service option on 4 out of 5 cars. I have no idea why it doesn't show up on my daily driver. I noticed when it first rolled out that you could see previous service visits. The Schedule Service option was hastily turned off temporarily and now those previous visits no longer show up. I'm guessing that was a security issue. I do see that scheduled service appointments continue to show up.

12. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

I don't actually think it is strange at all, given Tesla's policy of 'continuous improvement' there are going to be a lot of subtle variations between cars with different combinations of various modules all interacting slightly differently.

This is also a complete nightmare from a QA perspective...

13. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

Not sure if this is a 2018.48.* issue or not but I just noticed this. Auto Park wants to park in traffic lanes.

I'm south bound in the left turn lane auto park wants to park in the north bound traffic lanes. IMG_20181227_122245756_HDR.jpg

14. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.48.12.1

It's done that for years.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  15. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

SMH

16. croman

croman Active Member

Autopark merely is a set of functions that identifies situations where it can operate. Approaching stopped traffic with greater than car length gaps at low speed triggers the option. It's really not the biggest issue and likely will be fixed with surround cameras and park hunt mode.

17. conman

conman Member

Or made worse...

• Funny x 3
  18. croman

croman Active Member

As someone that has seen the beginning of the AP2 debacle, I'm quite aware of that potential but I have a good feeling Tesla is finally heading in the right direction. Small backwards steps perhaps but overall trend is finally positive. Gotta keep those good vibes going.

• Like x 2
  19. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Member

The seats can be pre-heated using the phone app. And they definitely work with no one sitting in them. I pre-heated the seats while I was skiing (on the last chairlift ride of the day) and by the time I sat in the seat it was toasty. Very nice to put your sore back into a toasty seatback instead of one that is colder than an ice cube!

20. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

For those that said that Dolby stuff got self-disabled, I decided to check thanks to you and it was somehow disabled for me. Ever since I was paying some attention to it and it stayed on, until today... And today the whole option disappeared completely!

IMG_20181227_170113.jpg

but after reboot it reappeared (but still enabled). really weird.

IMG_20181227_223933.jpg