Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, the premium sound is ****ed up for almost a year already. First it lost its punch completely to return several updates later after massive complains just to be gone again mid 2018.

We've bought cars with non existent features despite advertising and we even lost some more during the ownership. I'm tired of being a lab rat in a 100k car. I love the Tesla but I'll be tempted to walk a different path in the future (when serious competition arrives).

Yep, the premium sound is ****ed up for almost a year already. First it lost its punch completely to return several updates later after massive complains just to be gone again mid 2018.

I hadn't noticed that. The sound in my Model 3 delivered in May was excellent and so was the sound in my P3D deliverd in Sept. I haven't noticed any change at all in the sound quality.

I was talked into getting an S instead because of the tax money lol. When I bought the car last year they where telling me FSD within a couple months. I still love my S. I'm just seeing my car turn old really fast. So your telling me my 1 year old car cant play a Atari game but a $10 raspberry pi can. How's track mode going on your S.

Last edited:
Reactions: selfbp
Just to be clear, I first identified in this thread my Tesla as not having support for Pole Position and brought up the possibility that it was because of processor limitations. I don’t have any evidence of this, it was just a suggestion. Perhaps it was that they wanted to get out the update in time before Christmas and they could only come out with some of the features for everyone else. I could be completely wrong and it could be something entirely different. So save your judgement until we actually know why Tesla couldn’t come out with Pole Position and USB controller support for MCU 1 cars. It is possible that Tesla is cutting out this feature based on MCU version, but Tesla has treated us well with regular software updates imo, way better than anything else in the industry so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

I'm tired of being a lab rat in a 100k car. I love the Tesla but I'll be tempted to walk a different path in the future (when serious competition arrives).
I agree, I didn't realise their software updates would be plagued with so many issues each time. It is pretty embarrassing when you have to explain to people your $200K+ car screen that controls everything just freezes for a few minutes randomly (since last update), you've lost functions (Spotify, USB music) and notice that yellow ring around the frozen MCU screen, yeah that is embarrassing too but it's ok it's common. Nevermind let me just reset the MCU like a locked up PC, we'll lose the A/C for a bit but it should then work for an hour or two again.

The S is a more mature product; of course it is going to receive fewer updates.
My experience so far as a Model S owner is the 'updates' we get just keep breaking existing functions.

In all seriousness, is there actually an official way to report these operational issues to Tesla? I don't think the service centres convey all complaints, it would be so good to know any message sent as a support request actually makes it to the supervisor of the MCU software team. They really, really need to get their act together.

Could someone post the release notes for 48.12.1? Mine have been coming up blank the last few updates.
Same for me, but I can tell you what the release notes should say for 48.12.1.

1 - Broke Spotify login again, cannot be used.
2 - Made USB music so glitchy it cannot be used.
3 - Added new MCU 'unresponsive mode', drivers will find the MCU stops responding to screen presses for 4 to 5 mins randomly.
4 - Added random Jack mode for Air Suspension cars, vehicle will just randomly be in Jack mode when turned on.

Sad but true :(

Last edited:
The seats can be pre-heated using the phone app. And they definitely work with no one sitting in them.
Are you certain? I just posted a new thread asking this very question?
Sorry Bruce didn’t see this first.
I had the heat and seat heaters on full blast while getting ready at the hotel with family. When we came down the car was certainly warm in the interior and most surfaces were becoming nice and warm. But the seats were in NO way warm like a heater was on in them. Especially not on full seat heat As soon as we sat in them a minute later we could feel it ramping up fast and cooking our tooshy.
I can’t be positive of course but I don’t think they are coming on remotely until your in them.
Unless range mode has some effect like it does with the main battery heater. It doesn’t come on either with range mode turned on.

Reactions: croman
I had the heat and seat heaters on full blast while getting ready at the hotel with family. When we came down the car was certainly warm in the interior and most surfaces were becoming nice and warm. But the seats were in NO way warm like a heater was on in them. Especially not on full seat heat As soon as we sat in them a minute later we could feel it ramping up fast and cooking our tooshy.
I can’t be positive of course but I don’t think they are coming on remotely until your in them.
Unless range mode has some effect like it does with the main battery heater. It doesn’t come on either with range mode turned on.
Originally with the 3.8.0 app update, when I would turn on climate, it would show all seats on the low setting. Now it shows them all on the medium setting. However, when I get in the car, the only seat that is actually on is the driver's seat. In my case, using the app currently doesn't control the seats at all.

Reactions: croman

The seats do not use a pressure sensor to the best of my knowledge. But the heating element isn't very hot, so until it is insulated by a tooshy I do not believe much heat is contained. Pet beds are similar.

If it stays cold (cool for you folks from the north) here, I'll get out my thermal camera.

Schedule service is now back on my 3.8 app.

Regarding the seat heaters mine definitely was engaged. It wasn't hot, but it definitely was working. As of this morning it seems to be more responsive. Previously making a change took a few seconds but now it is quicker. What happens in my car is all the heaters come on setting 1, just by pressing one of the back seats in the app all of the back seats turn off and both front seats turn on setting 3. I don't know if that is just a memory from the last set choice, but previously I was pressing numerous buttons trying to figure out how to get just the front seats on and the backs all off.

Yes. The seats definitely heat up remotely so when you get into your car, the seat is already toasty. This is nice after a day on the ski slopes or for anyone with a sore back. I can't speak to how the Model S and Model X work, we only have Model 3's (and Model 3's don't have range mode).

Does 2018.48.12.2 contain any noticeable fixes?

Yes, was surprised to discover yesterday that in Autopilot on small country roads it performs noticeably better that 2018.48.12.1 (which in this respect had severely regressed from 46.2), in that it slows more for more corners, takes sharper turns within lines and no longer tries to dodge off into side-streets on corners [on my standard test route].
On motorway it is less prone to ping-ponging, otherwise little difference.

In the UI I have not seen any substantial changes.

Browser is unfortunately still crippled as in 48.12.1, which introduced the "features" that back button no longer works on most sites and browser is generally completely frozen on startup, until a reset is performed.
However, I have heard that .50 is bringing large and overdue improvements in the browser.

Also waking the car in the morning from the iOS app 3.8 has reverted to being unreliable, after being perfect for at least the previous 3 updates.

Last edited: