TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Update 2018.48.x

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BigNick, Dec 5, 2018.

1. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

You must have heard that from model 3 owners, so far that is the only model that has received .50
    Looks like the next update for model S will be a 2019. XX

• Like x 1
  2. OPRCE

OPRCE Member

Yes, quote correct on M3 info.

I suppose we could still get 2018.50 early in the new year, though judging by the speed at which it has trickled out, agree it will more likely be skipped for something better.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I used to have a warning ding (mostly on exit, but sometimes on entrance) that I couldn't figure out, and never caught the message on the screen because it went away so fast. I started to notice a trend, however. It seemed to be more prevalent when I was wearing certain shorts or pants.

Long story short, I *finally* figured it out. Sometimes, when getting in or out, the fob in my pocket would get pressed and held on the top. This tried to activate summon, but of course it couldn't with the door open, so it would beep at me and display a message that cleared too quickly to read, because the pressure sensor in the seat changing state would clear the message.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

This was an issue back a couple years ago for myself, but it was finally resolved.

The charge limit is a local function, and it doesn't need to reach the mothership. What you're seeing is separation of duties. The MCU controls the user configurable parameters of charging. The BMS handles the rest. What we were experiencing in the past was that the MCU was getting hung while charging. The BMS would continue to monitor, control, and charge the battery. Because the MCU was hung, it wouldn't be able to query the SOC and tell the BMS to stop charging, short of 100%. Usually the MCU will reboot itself after being hung for so long, however by then the battery is way past the limit you set for it.

• Informative x 2
  5. whitex

whitex Active Member

I never enabled summon on either of our cars (I don't want to turn this discussion into why) so that's not it. The warning on exit is back, and the text says my range will be reduced because my headlights are on, even though they go off as soon as lift off the seat. The dings on entrance, I recently caught part of the message, something about my car could shut down at any time, but it never stays on long enough for me to read it all (most of the time it disappears before the cluster powers on), so summon is not it in my case.

• Like x 1
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, thanks for the info. Really strange because since then it hasn’t happened again. Car is back on no energy saving and not always connected and works fine at 77/80. No idea what it does the first time after a new firmware is loaded sometimes (even when I reboot it).

• Like x 1
  7. Blissedout

Blissedout Member

An accident, but 6 weeks of the delay was due to Tesla having no replacement windshields anywhere in the US.

• Informative x 1
  8. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

Great to read this. I’m on 2018.48.12.1. with that, autopilot fixed the ‘let’s just scare this driver waiting behind the line in that side street by moving to follow the yield line’ jerkiness for me. However, I found yesterday that it introduces ‘let’s hug the edge of the road’ mode on country lanes where the edge line may be faded or absent to autopilot. my model S skirted the kerbs and verges with me taking over more often than I’m used to. In a moment of letting it do its own thing it ‘kissed’ one kerb on one curve. Darn. Still, beta.

9. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

Yeah, that sucks pretty much. But it's just the steering logic fault as the car really crosses the road markings despite these being properly identified and placed (according to the lines on the instrument cluster).

10. bebbiXpress

bebbiXpress Member

It‘s a long time without a new release for S/X. Is something big comming or do they for once wanna be sure to fix all current bugs without introducing new ones with the next release?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Hotrodhotbod

Hotrodhotbod Member

How come I didn’t get Mars madness in the update. I got the romantic mode and emission test. But no mars madness

12. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

Neither did I.

13. f205v

f205v Member

Mars Madness is only enabled for MCU2 cars. Not for MCU1.

• Helpful x 1
  14. Kevin Bohacz

Kevin Bohacz Supporting Member

After many weeks of use this update seems buggier than prior updates. As far as autopilot goes, the car does steer better but it brakes more aggressively and erratically on surface streets.

Here are the bugs I’ve experienced:

1. The Seat/Mirror memory position button shows a garbled message indicating memory corruption. The button that normally shows RESTORE displayed R S O R E. Rebooting the MCU restores the correct spelling.

2. The Tesla app interior temperature now displays incorrectly when the car is turned off. It now reads about 10 degrees hotter than it really is inside the car (as confirmed with IR Temp gun showing surface temps and an air temp thermometer). The instant I turn the car on the temp drops 10 degrees to the real temp. When I turn off the car, the temperature jumps backup. The car is parked in a garage and it is not hot outside.

3. The Suspension went into jack mode when the car was turned on and remained stuck in this mode until I drove the car a few miles.

4. Upon entering the MCU was dead and required a very slow reboot.

• Informative x 2
  15. Hotrodhotbod

Hotrodhotbod Member

Mcu1? Mcu2?

16. f205v

f205v Member

Main Central Unit - the computer behind the big screen. Older cars have 1st revision called MCU1; newer cars have 2nd revision (more per-formant hardware) called MCU2.

17. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

Mine is July 2018. Didn’t get the Mars game.

18. f205v

f205v Member

to find out what MCU you have, use your Tesla in-car web browser and go to Teslatap.com/MCU

19. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

Just to avoid any confusion, 'Mars Madness' is the 'Pole Position' game which in the version on the Tesla has a martian themed background.

You should have 'Pole Position' on your car...

20. conman

conman Active Member

Unless like us here you're in a part of the rest of the world where the browser isn't available.