Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to split how things are rolled out then to accommodate everyone.
1 - Stable releases, all bugs fixed, all functions fully operational, updates every 3 or 4 months.
2 - Early releases, expect bugs, new features on test, updates every 3 or 4 weeks.
Currently we are somewhere between 1 and 2 and when you get the notification that an update is available you don't know what you are getting in terms of stability and functionality.

True. I really like how Microsoft has gone to this program where you can literally switch between the early builds or the less frequent stable builds. I purposely run the dev versions of iOS on my iPhone just because I love the new features.

Reactions: ChrML
Well Elon did promise a "check for updates" button, though who knows when... Ideally there'd be a check for updates button, along with you choosing what level of development to participate in - alpha, or beta (there is no stable really...)

Well since Elon should be held to some kind of accountability it was 4-5-2018:

823785EA-CA24-4999-B9AB-2A661C14525B.png

Reactions: StefanSarzio
I think that's a good thing. Hopefully this means the software team has got some quiet time to release high quality software soon.

Much more likely is that everybody has been diverted to bringing up HW3, assuming HW3 actually exists in some low-volume pre-production form as has been claimed.

But feel free to be optimistic that they actually have the resources to do more than one thing at once amidst Musk's push for profitability!

Much more likely is that everybody has been diverted to bringing up HW3, assuming HW3 actually exists in some low-volume pre-production form as has been claimed.

But feel free to be optimistic that they actually have the resources to do more than one thing at once amidst Musk's push for profitability!
Yep, much likely they are testing HW3 before it rolls into production some time between now and March.

I have a feeling the software department is not too much affected by the run for profitability in general, except they will probably fire the lowest performing as a company-wide general measure. Most of the work there is likely related to hardware, assembly and suppliers. Production and robotic software is usually done other kinds of engineers/programmers.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Most of the work there is likely related to hardware, assembly and suppliers. Production and robotic software is usually done other kinds of engineers/programmers.

I was suggesting that, if reports are to be believed, they actually have a handful of cars running pre-production hardware. If that is true, then the software teams all the way up the stack -- from low-level drivers all the way up to Autopilot -- are probably busy making the stack work on HW3.

And even after they get it "ready", they'll probably will be fighting HW3 fires for 9-12 months after HW3 production release, meaning HW2/2.5 cars will not see any significant Autopilot updates for... well, a long time, if ever.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I drove an AP2+ car for the first time today with a service loaner (S75D, AP2.5, MCU2, 2018.48.12.1). Previously all of the Teslas I had driven were non-AP or AP1. I was moderately impressed. It felt much like AP1 on the freeway, although I did notice the behavior that some people have complained about when two lanes merge to one and it jerks around in the somewhat wider lane. Lane-keeping in moderate rain was good, although the auto-wipers are definitely better on my old AP1 car. I can see the potential with Nav on Autopilot although the way it works on this release, it feels like I need to spend too much time looking inside the cockpit for the lane change prompts. It wasn't clear to me how to confirm a lane change with the cruise stalk.

Bruce.

It wasn't clear to me how to confirm a lane change with the cruise stalk.

Bruce.
Just push the stalk up or down or pull it. Don't push it forward as that turns AP off. You can adjust the prompt frequency as well. Mad Max will prompt very often, basically as soon as it sees the car in front of you ii going below the speed limit. Other settings allow for a lower speed before prompting you.

You can use the turn signals as well but in the S and X, you have to be careful to just push it up or down slightly to avoid engaging the constant turn signal which would cause the turn signals to remain on after the lane change.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
I was suggesting that, if reports are to be believed, they actually have a handful of cars running pre-production hardware. If that is true, then the software teams all the way up the stack -- from low-level drivers all the way up to Autopilot -- are probably busy making the stack work on HW3.

And even after they get it "ready", they'll probably will be fighting HW3 fires for 9-12 months after HW3 production release, meaning HW2/2.5 cars will not see any significant Autopilot updates for... well, a long time, if ever.

A new software update 2018.51 e69a387 has just been discovered in the video of a Euro-specced M3 being tested by journos in France, on which cars AP has unusually been disabled throughout the continent.

It remains to be determined but could this be a previously unseen branch running on HW3, awaiting an official announcement to activate AP at or around the first deliveries in a few weeks?

Why else would a non-production software be in those test cars and why else would AP have been disabled just when hoping to gain plaudits for it in the resulting reviews?

Last edited: