Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My more medium term impressions of .48 builds. The IC displays way more vehicles and now more precisely. One side effect is that it is showing way more cross traffic. Vehicles are placed correctly and progress across the screen correctly but face perpendicular to reality. Also I'm seeing way more traffic in the opposite lane of travel with 2 lane roads.

The good is that car in front of white locked car is consistently there now. Also adjacent lane traffic is rendered much better. Overall it appears to be using or integrating the data better. Stopping distance has both improved and is far smoother than ever. Navigate on autopilot also is incrementally better but still not quite there where I would even consider turning off confirmations. It's still pretty clueless.

I noticed this as well.
This is really bad. I have the same experience. The problem is that for 3 years AP has behaved so that you can disengage auto steer and the speed is unaffected. This new behavior is super frustrating and requires you to spend a lot of time modifying the speed of the car when you should be paying attention to the road. TESLA - please return this to it's previous behavior.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
This is really bad. I have the same experience. The problem is that for 3 years AP has behaved so that you can disengage auto steer and the speed is unaffected. This new behavior is super frustrating and requires you to spend a lot of time modifying the speed of the car when you should be paying attention to the road. TESLA - please return this to it's previous behavior.
I'm still on 46.2. This is the first change made to the operating system that might make me join the "no more upgrades for me" crowd that I have always scoffed at. This has to be a bug.

For those unwilling to go back, apparently the speed setting in TACC gets reset to the current speed when Autosteer is disengaged by taking control of the steering. I'll definitely hold off on any more upgrades until I get a chance to determine how much it will affect me. Or they change it back.:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
I think the biggest things they need to fix right now are:
1). Braking is still too robitic and aggressive in stop and go. The distance between you and the car in front is literal and exact when it should be more like a range so it can avoid hard brake checks to those behind you causing them aalot of frustration. Have it close the gap and use more of the gap with a softer braking so you can maybe stop up to a half (or maybe even 1/4) car length between you and the car in front. When the car in front starts to go again, wait until the set car length is reached then start going again.
1a) it would be nice if AP tried to use regen braking at first with more fluid follow lengths and only go to friction brakes of it detects it needs more stopping power for safety.
1b) If possible it would be nice if Tesla could change the brake light behavior to be two stages. Eg. Regen braking = only the outside brake lights illuminate. Regen + Friction braking = light up center brake lights above license plate with outside brake lights for the full Monty. Having that change in behavior would be nice for cars behind us... Hey he's braking lightly (Regen only) to ok he could be stopping quickly on me (all tail lights)
2) I don't have NoA (waiting for the maps and can't understand why if they fail on install I have to go to the service center to get them redownload and installed this should be something that retries the download if my car is on WiFi but I digress)... From YT vids I've seen online NoA still too slow on on ramps merging onto interstate. I can see how this is tricky. Coding AP where it increases the speed up to the limit of the new road (interstate) you're merging onto could result in AP sometimes mistakenly assuming you're on an onramp when you might just be on a parallel access road of the GPS lock is off by a dozen feet or so. If that's the case maybe nav on AP shouldn't engage on on ramps yet, but instead wait until you're fully on the interstate? This is a tricky one and sort of brings me to #3..
3) Speed limit database and speed limit transitioning. Man is it scary when you're cruising along at 75 and the DB suddenly shows the car in a 55 MPH zone. It just brakes out of nowhere and is very dangerous and scary. This is going to get ppl rear ended if it hasn't already. I'd prefer to see it chime, ask for hands on the wheel, and blink the speed limit sign with maybe message that you might be going way over the speed limit. If no driver interaction in x amount of seconds, disengage AP, if steering wheel is moved (driver acknowledges warning allow the set speed to be maintained)
4) It will still sometimes abort lane changes and when it does it's scary. I'd rather it not change at all of it isn't sure. Don't get half way into new lane then yank back unless it is sure another car is in the way. That's going to cause accidents. If it isn't sure it can perform the maneuver, it should show on the console in a different color. Maybe green of it's very confident, yellow less confident, and red not gonna move detects obstruction/car in way. I've had it abort when the lane I wanted to change to was wideo open in light traffic. To the point where I'll sometimes disengage AP just for lane changes then re-engage once I'm in the lane I want

Last edited:

I don't agree I like the new feature, if I take over from autopi

I like the new behavior , if I disengage autopilot I am doing it for a reason and I like the fact it sets the cruise to the speed at that point. I have also found that if you pull back on the autopilot stalk (model s) and hold it for about 1 sec it resets to the speed back to the speed limit plus your offset, quicker that pressing the stalk up a bunch of times.

Am I imagining things but is regen stronger below 10 mph than before? Ver 48.1 HW 2.0, Model S. (My car has been in the shop for 3 months and just got out, so I may be imagining this).

It may be, on my part, purely anecdotal but I believe 48.1 has changed something with braking using TACC and AP. My S100D has forever frantically braked and "thudded" the brake pedal when using AP/TACC (like a teenager learning to drive or a txter looking up and seeing a stopped car) Since the software update to 48.1 Friday morning I am still skeptical but moderately enthusiastic that something has definitely been changed with this update. I usually laugh at the "regen is stronger" "regen is weaker" posts relating to the same software update and have been hesitant to post......BUT......I will say after a full commute is seems remarkably better at controlled and soft braking now.....more human driver like vs a computer hitting a line of code yelling STOP!!!!! lol lol

I'm wondering. Does anyone else hear a weird thumping noise when AP does a harder brake? I'm hearing a weird sound that almost seems like it's in the suspension. I have had a hard time reproducing it hard braking manually. Only seems to happen when AP does a hard brake. That got me wondering if it is possible it is pulsing the brakes rather than a firm press.. pulsing much faster than you could with your foot. To provide a frame of reference, think about how ABS feels on snow when you brake hard and the wheels are losing traction

I'm wondering. Does anyone else hear a weird thumping noise when AP does a harder brake? I'm hearing a weird sound that almost seems like it's in the suspension. I have had a hard time reproducing it hard braking manually. Only seems to happen when AP does a hard brake. That got me wondering if it is possible it is pulsing the brakes rather than a firm press.. pulsing much faster than you could with your foot. To provide a frame of reference, think about how ABS feels on snow when you brake hard and the wheels are losing traction

Are you sure it’s not the pedal itself returning to it’s netural position. I’ve had mine phantom break sometimes and I can hear the pedal thud back into the unpressed position. The same sound that if you depress the pedal and slide your foot off of it quickly instead of slowly releasing it.

Are you sure it’s not the pedal itself returning to it’s netural position. I’ve had mine phantom break sometimes and I can hear the pedal thud back into the unpressed position. The same sound that if you depress the pedal and slide your foot off of it quickly instead of slowly releasing it.

Exactly. AP releases it so abruptly, that on some occassions the brake pedal bounces with a loud bang, so that AP think, that it was actually a driver input and disconnects. This and the lane departure warning toggle during AP driving while cutting lanes in a curve, leads me to think, that the car is slowly becoming sentient...

ok i think you guys might be right. I didn't realize the physical brake pedal moves when AP brakes the car... will continue to monitor. Thanks for putting my mind at ease... i'm already sweating the yellow around my screen and a really loud front motor on this service loaner i bought...

It's the brake pedal. Even if it doesn't brake that hard, the issue is AutoPilot releases the brake pedal way too hard and this causes the sound you guys are hearing. I experience it every day, usually when someone merges into my lane right in front of me. I've asked for a fix before, but it seems to not be a priority. Seems like an easy fix, instead of releasing the brake quickly just smoothly release it? I did notice that my AP1 loaner does not have this issue, it brakes much smoother and does not pop release the brake.

@SeminoleFSU I have the same noise coming from (apparently) the left front suspension when TACC brakes suddenly.
I'll try to listen closely to it and determine the origin.
Will keep you posted.

I have exactly the same noise coming from the left front indeed when AP/TACC has to break hard. I don't think the noise is related to releasing the brake pedal. To me it appears the noise happens whilst braking, not after it stopped braking. It sounds more like it would when you manually break hard and ABS kicks in (especially when driving on slippery surface, like snow).

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU