Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2018.48... not seeing the car try to pull 2018.48.1 yet although it's on the WiFi ready and willing if it gets pushed.

Main new thing I saw in 2018.48 was the randomization of the PIN to drive keypad and the charger locations in the mobile app...

I keep hoping it'll download the NoA maps, but alas... Service is rolling a ranger to install the maps for me Thursday... apparently the map install "failed" and has to be done manually now? Seems.... inefficient to me, but hey far be it for me to tell Tesla how to manage their software updates and ranger service.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Penfold
Got 2018.48 Sunday (2014 P85D) Update information included Charger locations as shown above, as well as Pin to drive prompt displaying on random parts of screen instead of in the middle all the time (better so finger prints wont be obvious for pin. Also included prompt for account login to disable data connection.

Pretty cool. Thanks.

<-- Cybersecurity Nerd
"Cybersecurity Nerd", what are your thoughts on the rather weak security on the mobile app access to the car?
I think they need to implement these two things to make the app secure to the level we need these days.
1 - Allow only 'trusted devices' to access the car remotely (very important)
2 - Two tiers of access, eg 'user' gets charger control, HVAC control. 'Admin' level gets unlock, Summon etc.

"Cybersecurity Nerd", what are your thoughts on the rather weak security on the mobile app access to the car?
I think they need to implement these two things to make the app secure to the level we need these days.
1 - Allow only 'trusted devices' to access the car remotely (very important)
2 - Two tiers of access, eg 'user' gets charger control, HVAC control. 'Admin' level gets unlock, Summon etc.

Short answer is that I’m disappointed in the commercial sector on how slowly the commercial sector is moving on locking things down.

They are still in reactionary mode vs proactive mode.

More could be done and it pains me that lots of folks could be better protected.

Reactions: pedriscoll
More could be done and it pains me that lots of folks could be better protected.
I agree, this inherent trust that companies get security right is scary.
As the security is now I think all someone needs is your account details for Tesla (just your Email and password) then they have full access to the car on any device. No 2FA to login to the Tesla website for your account either!
It would only take one data breach to leak everyone's account details and it would cause irreversible harm to Tesla as a brand....and those database leaks happen regularly.

Just installed 2018.48.1
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Cool! Anything new from 2018.48? Can you share the release notes?
okay release notes are the same... couple things I've noticed (not sure when the started)
1) surrounding cars aren't bouncing around in the instrument cluster as widely as they used to although this has been getting better over time so it may not be specifically this release
2) I'm not having to do the 2 scroll wheel salute every time I get in the car to get Tesla Waze working in my browser again. May just be circumstantial, but my understanding was this had something to do with a crashing service that caused the browser to lock up.. Hopefully this is gone because that was annoying.