Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must have heard that from model 3 owners, so far that is the only model that has received .50
Looks like the next update for model S will be a 2019. XX

Yes, quote correct on M3 info.

I suppose we could still get 2018.50 early in the new year, though judging by the speed at which it has trickled out, agree it will more likely be skipped for something better.

...The car trained me to ignore any warnings on exit - ... I plain ignored it because warning dings on exist are just normal with Tesla (on entry too, I get some warning which was not able to catch on the screen because it beeps and then goes away before I ca read it). ...
I used to have a warning ding (mostly on exit, but sometimes on entrance) that I couldn't figure out, and never caught the message on the screen because it went away so fast. I started to notice a trend, however. It seemed to be more prevalent when I was wearing certain shorts or pants.

Long story short, I *finally* figured it out. Sometimes, when getting in or out, the fob in my pocket would get pressed and held on the top. This tried to activate summon, but of course it couldn't with the door open, so it would beep at me and display a message that cleared too quickly to read, because the pressure sensor in the seat changing state would clear the message.

... After 48.12.1 first it went to sleep ‘too deeply’ and charged to 97% (great) and now is down to 75 without starting a charge. ...

Edit: charging started at 74%. Let’s see where it stops.... and it did stop at 80... wonder WTF it did when it loaded the software and charged.
Because it went to sleep it didn't follow its own rules? I had this sort of thing months and months ago, where it seemed to make no sense that it didn't charge right when it couldn't reach the mothership, something you'd think would be 100% a local function. Arg....
This was an issue back a couple years ago for myself, but it was finally resolved.

The charge limit is a local function, and it doesn't need to reach the mothership. What you're seeing is separation of duties. The MCU controls the user configurable parameters of charging. The BMS handles the rest. What we were experiencing in the past was that the MCU was getting hung while charging. The BMS would continue to monitor, control, and charge the battery. Because the MCU was hung, it wouldn't be able to query the SOC and tell the BMS to stop charging, short of 100%. Usually the MCU will reboot itself after being hung for so long, however by then the battery is way past the limit you set for it.

I used to have a warning ding (mostly on exit, but sometimes on entrance) that I couldn't figure out, and never caught the message on the screen because it went away so fast. I started to notice a trend, however. It seemed to be more prevalent when I was wearing certain shorts or pants.

Long story short, I *finally* figured it out. Sometimes, when getting in or out, the fob in my pocket would get pressed and held on the top. This tried to activate summon, but of course it couldn't with the door open, so it would beep at me and display a message that cleared too quickly to read, because the pressure sensor in the seat changing state would clear the message.
I never enabled summon on either of our cars (I don't want to turn this discussion into why) so that's not it. The warning on exit is back, and the text says my range will be reduced because my headlights are on, even though they go off as soon as lift off the seat. The dings on entrance, I recently caught part of the message, something about my car could shut down at any time, but it never stays on long enough for me to read it all (most of the time it disappears before the cluster powers on), so summon is not it in my case.

Reactions: JohnnyG
This was an issue back a couple years ago for myself, but it was finally resolved.

The charge limit is a local function, and it doesn't need to reach the mothership. What you're seeing is separation of duties. The MCU controls the user configurable parameters of charging. The BMS handles the rest. What we were experiencing in the past was that the MCU was getting hung while charging. The BMS would continue to monitor, control, and charge the battery. Because the MCU was hung, it wouldn't be able to query the SOC and tell the BMS to stop charging, short of 100%. Usually the MCU will reboot itself after being hung for so long, however by then the battery is way past the limit you set for it.
Yeah, thanks for the info. Really strange because since then it hasn’t happened again. Car is back on no energy saving and not always connected and works fine at 77/80. No idea what it does the first time after a new firmware is loaded sometimes (even when I reboot it).

Reactions: JohnnyG
Yes, was surprised to discover yesterday that in Autopilot on small country roads it performs noticeably better that 2018.48.12.1 (which in this respect had severely regressed from 46.2), in that it slows more for more corners, takes sharper turns within lines and no longer tries to dodge off into side-streets on corners [on my standard test route].
On motorway it is less prone to ping-ponging, otherwise little difference.

Great to read this. I’m on 2018.48.12.1. with that, autopilot fixed the ‘let’s just scare this driver waiting behind the line in that side street by moving to follow the yield line’ jerkiness for me. However, I found yesterday that it introduces ‘let’s hug the edge of the road’ mode on country lanes where the edge line may be faded or absent to autopilot. my model S skirted the kerbs and verges with me taking over more often than I’m used to. In a moment of letting it do its own thing it ‘kissed’ one kerb on one curve. Darn. Still, beta.

Great to read this. I’m on 2018.48.12.1. with that, autopilot fixed the ‘let’s just scare this driver waiting behind the line in that side street by moving to follow the yield line’ jerkiness for me. However, I found yesterday that it introduces ‘let’s hug the edge of the road’ mode on country lanes where the edge line may be faded or absent to autopilot. my model S skirted the kerbs and verges with me taking over more often than I’m used to. In a moment of letting it do its own thing it ‘kissed’ one kerb on one curve. Darn. Still, beta.

Yeah, that sucks pretty much. But it's just the steering logic fault as the car really crosses the road markings despite these being properly identified and placed (according to the lines on the instrument cluster).

After many weeks of use this update seems buggier than prior updates. As far as autopilot goes, the car does steer better but it brakes more aggressively and erratically on surface streets.

Here are the bugs I’ve experienced:

1. The Seat/Mirror memory position button shows a garbled message indicating memory corruption. The button that normally shows RESTORE displayed R S O R E. Rebooting the MCU restores the correct spelling.

2. The Tesla app interior temperature now displays incorrectly when the car is turned off. It now reads about 10 degrees hotter than it really is inside the car (as confirmed with IR Temp gun showing surface temps and an air temp thermometer). The instant I turn the car on the temp drops 10 degrees to the real temp. When I turn off the car, the temperature jumps backup. The car is parked in a garage and it is not hot outside.

3. The Suspension went into jack mode when the car was turned on and remained stuck in this mode until I drove the car a few miles.

4. Upon entering the MCU was dead and required a very slow reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: Mjølner and selfbp