Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that 2018.50.6 fixed exactly two things for me: Jack and Squat.

I still get the font corruption which requires an MCU reset.

Climate control is still dysfunctional as ever. Turn the defrost on when you have custom settings and they aren’t restored when turning defrost off, this is something that works perfectly in the wife’s Impala, but Tesla can’t seem to get right. They should just restore the 8.1 climate control system. It worked flawlessly and offered more control.

Still can’t arrange radio presets. Not that we could in 8.1.

Still no CHILL mode, we know it is possible because Valet mode exists.

I don’t have AP in any form so at least there aren’t any surprises there.

Why even bother to push something that fixes nothing? If there ARE fixes, put them - all of them - in the release notes! If you think people don’t want to read them, put Cliff Notes versions on the dash and the full Tolstoy version on the website.

50.7 appears to have improved the web browser for me. Before, it would work about one day out of 7. Now it's 6 out of 7, and it loads faster too. Not perfect, but definitely usable now. MCU2.

For those that want SW that works perfect on day 1, don't buy a smart phone or laptop either. They get bug fixes pushed out just like Tesla's. Bug-free SW means minimal functionality, limited use cases, no configurability, and very late to market given all the extra testing needed. Think flip phone versus smart phone.

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I was wondering when I might get this update and checked the app and update waiting. Hadn’t received the usual notification this time though but hey ho, no chance of getting out to test it as it’s Snow Day which means no driving just kids and sledges :)

After install it’s 50.6 on my MS and before update it was the first time I saw the schedule service in the app, it then disappears after the update was complete but then I switched out and back into the app (iOS) and it appeared again. So flakey :) and I have been on app version 3.8.0 since release.

Last edited:
MVP means a minimally viable product, something that does “just enough” to get by. This means that new features aren’t fully fleshed out and can be rolled out before all functionality of that feature has been implemented which can cause bugs or unintended user behavior.
I’m not saying it is isn’t robust. I’m just saying don’t expect perfection that you may expect from your typical automaker.
Also, the fast iterations of MVP software introduces bugs, which at least will get fixed rapidly but it will happen. I’m not saying this is bad, again, just don’t expect perfection and expect that things may not work as expected.

My Typical Automaker has us living with all the Crap that does not Work Right in my Wifes Cadillac & there will be No inbound Update to fix ANY of it...
XT5:
- Has trouble shifting from Park on any incline & requires hitting the gas performing a lunge release of the Parking Brake that I have no control over.
- Tells me to put my Hands on the Wheel when I have my Hands on the Wheel & did not depart a lane.
- Clunk Noise when pressing or releasing accelerator. Had in for Service & they say nothings wrong.
- Tells me to press button when shifting from Park when I know I am holding the Button...
- Voice Control is something that any Software Engineer from GM should hang their head in Shame... what a Pile of $h!t

and there is no OTA coming EVER to address any of it... thank God it's only a 3 year lease...
That and I don't experience any of these reboot ir other bugs on my Model S. The only 1 I saw was Slacker having trouble logging in on an older 8.1 update.

Why even bother to push something that fixes nothing? If there ARE fixes, put them - all of them - in the release notes! If you think people don’t want to read them, put Cliff Notes versions on the dash and the full Tolstoy version on the website.

Why Tesla still does not write detailed release notes is beyond me. They even go as far as to change driving behaviour, often for no apparent reason, without telling people. We are left to discover the changes at the worst times. Does no one at the company view this as a major safety risk?

I've had my Model S for a year now and so far have been very satisfied with the hardware itself. I have a very sour taste about the car's software and make it known to friends / potential buyers when asked about the car. I warn the more technically-oriented that they are likely to experience drama over the pace and direction of Tesla software development.

Why Tesla still does not write detailed release notes is beyond me. They even go as far as to change driving behaviour, often for no apparent reason, without telling people. We are left to discover the changes at the worst times. Does no one at the company view this as a major safety risk?

I've had my Model S for a year now and so far have been very satisfied with the hardware itself. I have a very sour taste about the car's software and make it known to friends / potential buyers when asked about the car. I warn the more technically-oriented that they are likely to experience drama over the pace and direction of Tesla software development.

TBF, that's not just a Tesla thing. Seems like not one automaker has any clue about implementing software in cars that absolutely rely on it. My previous '16 Civic EX-T's Display Audio system was just crap, a crippled tablet running Android 4.2. Can't update, can't repair, can only replace with an identical unit.

TBF, that's not just a Tesla thing. Seems like not one automaker has any clue about implementing software in cars that absolutely rely on it. My previous '16 Civic EX-T's Display Audio system was just crap, a crippled tablet running Android 4.2. Can't update, can't repair, can only replace with an identical unit.

Same with my son's '16 EX-T. He avoids Android Auto and just streams music over BT, like in older cars. Probably why you won't see Android Auto / Apple CarPlay in Tesla's any time soon.

One thought on the web browser - that's got to be a challenge given all the adware / spyware / popup / virus crap that tries to load on a typical web page. That stuff has wreaked havoc on Chrome / FF / Edge on my PC, and these browsers have full time staffs maintaining them.

Did a long drive on 50.6 on a busy freeway and noticed some difference to autopilot compared to 48.12 that I was on. As usual some good, but some bad. When cars are moving from other lanes into my lane now, it no longer is "surprised" and the car slows down quite gracefully before the car is in the middle of my lane. Looking at the instrument cluster, I can see the car going from grey to white and flashing at times when moving into my lane. That's the good news. The bad news is when the cars in the other lane are NOT moving into my lane, the car STILL slows down, especially around curves. I have a clear lane ahead of me, the curves are gentle, but the lanes are reasonably tight. The car is forever slowing down and speeding up as I pass cars in other lanes, and I find myself mashing the accelerator. Sometimes it doesn't even speed up, staying 10km/h below my setting with a clear lane in front of me and a car ahead and to my side. Sigh.

One of the things these update have not address is the wiper timing. Regardless what setting you place it at, it will go fast and slow based on your speed and rain. There is not a true intermittent speed setting. Even at the slowest speed setting, while driving on the freeway, it still goes fast.

By going too fast it goes past the windshield borders.

Received 50.6 last night. No release notes and I haven't driven yet so I can't speak to the driving performance.

However, I went out this morning to GooGone the last two of my CA HOV stickers away. I opened the app and noticed (as another poster mentioned above) that connectivity from the app to car was improved. I then proceeded to the Summon button while getting mentally prepared for the "triple shot" disconnect / reconnect routine before summon will successfully move the car.

Low and behold, Summon worked on first try. Both out of the garage and then back in. This was definitely surprising. Normally it takes three (3) attempts to summon before success. Today, first try. Excellent progress.