Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not owned a single car where the online community has some gripes about. I don’t find Tesla’s infotainment any worse than what I’ve experienced with Audi/BMW/Cadillac.

Any worse? You are kidding, right? I'm not talking about gripe on form, but function. It sorta takes the joy out of ownership to find that a Civic can do some and more of these things too.

I just updated from 48.12.1 to 50.6 and Spotify has gotten worse. Now requires a reboot and several login attempts before it would work.

I still think that waiting for a firmware update to 'fix' Spotify is likely to prove fruitless.

Odds are you have some issues relating to stored playlists, favourites etc. rather than a firmware issue. If that was inherently flwed we'd be seeing a lot more people complaining...

Any worse? You are kidding, right? I'm not talking about gripe on form, but function. It sorta takes the joy out of ownership to find that a Civic can do some and more of these things too.
That's where I am at as well, having owned a range of vehicles from BMW, Chrysler, Jeep and GM products none of them had issues like the long list Tesla's tend to have. I'm at a loss to explain how a company can get something so right and so good with the drivetrain and yet the infotainment system and functions tied in with it are an ongoing nightmare with no fix in sight. It will be what causes me to sell this car and never consider the brand again when a similar alternative is available.

I just updated from 48.12.1 to 50.6 and Spotify has gotten worse. Now requires a reboot and several login attempts before it would work.
Exactly how it was for me with 48.12.1, so basically they've done nothing to fix it even though the local service centres promised it was being fixed for the next update.

That's where I am at as well, having owned a range of vehicles from BMW, Chrysler, Jeep and GM products none of them had issues like the long list Tesla's tend to have. I'm at a loss to explain how a company can get something so right and so good with the drivetrain and yet the infotainment system and functions tied in with it are an ongoing nightmare with no fix in sight. It will be what causes me to sell this car and never consider the brand again when a similar alternative is available.

Amen Brother.

Every other car I've owned (and I love my Tesla most of all!) could properly display station and album artwork on Sirius/XM and FM. Every other car I've owned didn't randomly change stations on me (driving to Masters of Hip Hop, my daughter opens the door to get in at school and the station changes to Yacht Rock...uhhhhh, thanks? Of course, it happens the other way to, and to stations that aren't saved, and happens all the time). I find these annoyances in an otherwise excellent overall experience, but how hard can this be? I could by a 79 dollar aftermarket radio that would do better.

Every other car I've owned (and I love my Tesla most of all!) could properly display station and album artwork on Sirius/XM and FM.
We don't get XM radio where I am, the closest is DAB but the Model S doesn't support that. On FM the Tesla won't even display the current song name (which the stations do broadcast).
I spent a long time getting the USB to play nice because, well, Spotify is basically broken since I've owned the car so I had to get something working. The system is VERY fussy about mp3 tagging, I ended up manually tagging every album with a great little piece of free software called MP3tag. In doing that all the album artwork worked, song titles etc all worked but Tesla STILL managed to get it wrong.
If you browse by folder to an album the songs are played in alphabetical order (why!!) if you browse by album they are played in the correct order they are on the album.

Ok so what can we all do besides console each other on here? If people can tweet Elon stupid 'can we add' functions and they get done then maybe those with Twitter can bombard him with "how about you fix the basics of the stupid infotaintment system'.
I feel sorry for the Service Centres, the staff at mine are really nice people and sadly for them they are the ones who are coping the brunt of complaints about the bad quality control out of Tesla. They must feel terrible when they tell all the customers the factory knows about the problem and it will be fixed in the next software update, but it isn't fixed and probably never will be based on problems that have been around for years.

So many different experiences...puzzling. I have positive ones, certainly with 50.6

Spotify works better, much less connectivity issues (none over the last few days), while with the previous 48.12.1, it needed many back & forth between tunein & spotify to eventually make it work.
Browser improved for me. I had stopped using it, but 50.6 gave it live again: speed and compatibility.
Connecting to html5test confirmed it improved to 320 points (301 before?). I can now browse almost decently (still a bit slow compared to any smart device), but very usable for in the car. Tesla Waze again useful :)

IMG_2587.jpg

And as an FYI, @P100D_Me, the below features works in Belgium and I believe neighbouring countries

- DAB and DAB+ (I don't have it on my 2015 model, but recent cars and loaners had it)
- FM RDS (Radio Names & Trafic Info). Could be that in Australia it's not RDS that is used for FM data.

Just saying it can work, and hope it will soon across the board/globe.

There is room for improvement for sure: eg Wife's Audi A3 does display picture of callers, Tesla still displays a placeholder :rolleyes:, and many of the above.

Still, I am certainly happy that their focus was on the drivetrain, battery, safety, AP, the car dynamics and looks and maybe they trade off a bit on the infotainment. In my humble experience (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW), the infotainment of Tesla is very good and nothing to be ashamed of.

This is mind boggling... I've just received 2018.50.6 a few days ago, and Spotify does not work at all. It was all unresponsive after getting the update, everything else worked (DAB, Tunein, Phone). When tapping songs or categories nothing happened. After rebooting the MCU it logged me out of Spotify and now it cannot log back in, "Unable to log in, please try again later". Same with the tesla account. Spotify worked without issues with 2018.36.1

Also TuneIn radio, does not show my Favorites category. I have to first play a random station, mark it as favorite for the Favorite category to appear on the left.

:(

This is what happens when you buy into the Cult of Personality. The red flag was "how Elon wanted it" when I picked up the car. A linux box that doesn't work, well even? This is very much an Apple business model, where susceptible personalities are drawn obediently to celebrity and shiny objects, and who are too smart to know they've been had. I'm embarrassed to tell people who ask my about my car the truth about what happens when you climb inside and close the door, so I generally don't. I wish I felt differently, but after a month of ownership, I bought an electric car that drives great that has pretty good nav and free SC, but that's about it.

I do really enjoy the rocket launches, though. That's where your money is going.

None of my GM Vehicles partially drive themselves, Navigate on Auto Pilot. Civic will not drive off Highway. GM SuperCruise also Highway only & no Construction. Honda Clarity Electric is a piss poor 89 mile range!! aka useless. My Radio using Slacker or FM works perfect here. Voice Commands work great, while my Wifes Caddy and my 2014 Vette have a total Joke of a Voice Command System. I'm not getting how my Tesla is so different from the rest of you???

Reactions: quickstrike12
......... I bought an electric car that drives great that has pretty good nav and free SC, but that's about it.

That"s about it? Isn't that the most important parts of driving a vehicle?

Honestly if my model S had no speakers or infotainment at all I would still love it. If you want your $5000 Civic with a $5000 dollar aftermarket GPS internet satellite stereo go do it.

Reactions: Magellan55