Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I beg to differ here.Voice commands work great when they actually get through.Many times my P100D will not "hear" the command, over and over. I have read several others mentions of this. My son has the same issue with his Model 3. Why this happens I don't know... some feel it has to do with the cellular connection. I can honestly say that the voice command performance is the worst of my last three cars.
I agree to that point: it works great as long as the car has internet connection. No or poor connection means no voice command.
It also happens that the car seems to not hear me. Clicking on the (menu) button below the right scroll wheel cancels the (failing) attempt -so I don’t have to wait for it to timeout)- and allows to retry immediately (clicking on the voice command button).
But still, these are rare occurrences in my daily experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Richard34212
I agree to that point: it works great as long as the car has internet connection. No or poor connection means no voice command.
It also happens that the car seems to not hear me. Clicking on the (menu) button below the right scroll wheel cancels the (failing) attempt -so I don’t have to wait for it to timeout)- and allows to retry immediately (clicking on the voice command button).
But still, these are rare occurrences in my daily experience.

Question: why would voice command require an internet connection when the commands perform a local action?

Question: why would voice command require an internet connection when the commands perform a local action?
If they don't have "offline voice recognition", then it would need to upload the audio to analyze what is being said.

For a car, you'd hope that it would have offline voice recognition since it might not always have a cellular or wifi signal.

I am no expert, but It looks to me like when you ask for a navigation, whatever you ask -thus after either “drive to” or “navigate to” is passed in a search engine that looks seriously like Google. Similarily, when searching for a song or artist or radio, whatever you mention after the command “play” or “listen to” is sent in a specific music related search engine (Spotify? Slacker? TuneIn? All of the above?).
Anyway, and again, with the caveat that you need that connection, results are amazing to me.
I had previously a Audi with the most expensive gps option. It did have a offline database for points of interest but being offline, it was completely obsolete: that one time we were on a vacation in the south of France, and the car suddenly complained about the brakes, I proudly showed off to my wife how great the car was as it had that list of Audi dealers that were listed in order of distance to our location. In the end, the 4 first all apologized as no longer servicing Audi cars. So much for offline systems.

Online is in my experience an improvement, that indeed relies on a decent network, that is maybe not up to expectations everywhere.

Last edited:
And as an FYI, @P100D_Me, the below features works in Belgium and I believe neighbouring countries

- DAB and DAB+ (I don't have it on my 2015 model, but recent cars and loaners had it)
- FM RDS (Radio Names & Trafic Info). Could be that in Australia it's not RDS that is used for FM data.
I don't know when they started to include DAB in their cars but it's just not there in my 2017.
RDS over FM works fine in our two other cars, it's Tesla that is the problem :(

Unfortunately, because of these reasons I think Tesla will not survive as a car manufacturer. All those Model 3's being sold will need service or repair and .....well, good luck satisfying your customers who can't even reliably play a USB thumbdrive. $80K+ cars that don't deliver as promised? Our MB dealer treats us like royalty. It really pains me to type this.
Our local Tesla dealer is really good, they are doing the best they can. But even they must be so sick of saying 'will be fixed in the next update' and it doesn't get done. I don't particularly like the iDrive in the BMW we also have but, it works perfectly everytime it is used, I don't understand why it is so difficult for Tesla to get the basics right with these MCU's. They need to just spend some time in other brands using their infotainment systems and then jump back in to their own and see the difference, then make that the standards they should be aiming for. Semi working functions and other functions on the brink of collapse isn't acceptable.
I am of the opinion they just place the infotainment system so low in the priority list it'll always be this flaky.

Funny about voice command, I still can't figure out how to get it to work properly after it reads my voice and prints the command on my screen. Maybe it's me?
I can say that adding in swear words between commands doesn't seem to help either.

Dude, you just (unintentionally) mocked the rest of the world aside North America who's waiting for NoA to arrive: "last couple months" "first time in ages" :D;) We wait for ages for new features, I guess mostly due to burEUcratics (I intentionally spelled it wrong).

We're always the guinea pigs for the EU folks. Cars closer to HQ are logistically easier to fix, so after making 100k units of the TM3 for the US and working out the major bugs, send improved product to Europe :)

Other than that, you can also use US owners for real life experiences to decide whether new features are really cool, or just hype lol.