Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ETA: And we are really due for another general rollout... it's been six weeks. I've never been six weeks without new software... four, once. (Yeah, I know, first world problems! :D )

Wide rollouts have come every ~6 weeks, like clockwork, for a good 9 months now. I would expect this one will likely go to most of the fleet if they’re keeping with that schedule.

Wide rollouts have come every ~6 weeks, like clockwork, for a good 9 months now. I would expect this one will likely go to most of the fleet if they’re keeping with that schedule.
Except for when they don't. I suppose they might start them "like clockwork" every six weeks but that doesn't mean we get them every six weeks. I've had four periods over the past nine months that were over seven weeks, with one almost making it to nine weeks.

I spoke with Tesla this morning about pushing an update to my car because I haven't gotten one after mine had a failed install. I asked her what improvements were in the newest software and she said they also had some improvements to the autowipers. There is also a new predictive climate control that is on by standard. She said a lot of people have been calling in wondering why their climate control starts up all on its own and this is why. Once you get the update be sure to switch that off if you don't want that. It is a location and time based predictive climate control.

There is also a new predictive climate control that is on by standard. She said a lot of people have been calling in wondering why their climate control starts up all on its own and this is why. Once you get the update be sure to switch that off if you don't want that. It is a location and time based predictive climate control.

Wow, you would think they would have at least included that new feature in the release notes. ;)

Reactions: cyphear and R.S
Wow, you would think they would have at least included that new feature in the release notes. ;)

Yeah that's kind of what I thought. Might stop all those annoying phone calls. I also asked if they were ever going to make it so that we could request our own updates and it sounded positive. She said there has been a lot of discussion about it and they are planning on it but wouldn't say much more. The main issue is all the requests for updates due to software issues is overwhelming the engineers. They are the only ones with the ability to do that.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Report from my local service center is that 2018.6 fixes the front parking sensor failures that have been plaguing a number of vehicles (mine included) for months. I wouldn't expect mention of that in the public release notes...
Can you explain the front parking sensor problem or have a link? My 2017.50.3 will start up with park assist disabled a few times a month and I told tesla about it, they remote reset something, and it's still happened twice again since. I wonder if this is the same problem or something else.

Can you explain the front parking sensor problem or have a link? My 2017.50.3 will start up with park assist disabled a few times a month and I told tesla about it, they remote reset something, and it's still happened twice again since. I wonder if this is the same problem or something else.

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

That sounds different, maybe. The most commonly reported symptom of this issue is just the front 2 parking sensors, without warning, will just tell you it's all clear even as you are driving into an obstacle.

Except for when they don't. I suppose they might start them "like clockwork" every six weeks but that doesn't mean we get them every six weeks. I've had four periods over the past nine months that were over seven weeks, with one almost making it to nine weeks.

My bad, it's actually every ~8 weeks for the big/wide releases, pretty regularly, since the middle of last year:

...18.6?

Guess we'll see.

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

That sounds different, maybe. The most commonly reported symptom of this issue is just the front 2 parking sensors, without warning, will just tell you it's all clear even as you are driving into an obstacle.

Actually my car has this issue and it will throw up that error when I first start up the car. Its because the front 3 sensors are not working but, sometimes, they start working again briefly.

The car will summon (forward into objects like my garage wall) but autopark has been flawless (despite Ultrasonics not seeing the car in front, the car still parks perfectly). I still hover my foot over the brake just in case...

As a software developer, I would bet dollars to donuts that there isn't a hard six (or eight) week "schedule" for fleet-wide FW update rollouts.

Correlation is not causation.

I think when they have an update that's has some significant new features to be released, or critical bug fixes, and has been test-rolled out to a small number of cars, they do a fleet-wide release "when it's ready."

Just because it looks like a scheduled release program doesn't mean it is. For instance, the HO HO HO easter egg was hastily rolled out one day before Christmas. Luckily it didn't introduce any regression bugs (well, that we know of so far -- ha ha )

Reactions: boaterva
As a side note, i think that all major feature releases are preceded by a large firmwide roll out. This is needed because the release notes for a major feature release (Chill mode, Summon etc) will be unlikely to contain the minor tweaks (tire pressure in BAR etc) that would be needed if people are skipping over a number of releases to the new major release

Screenshot_20180216-132132.jpg
20180216_131904.jpg
20180216_131934.jpg