Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens to me too but I figured out why - it changes when you change driver profile from easy entry to my driver profile. Silly to associate the seat heaters with the driver profile, I know...

Not for me. I don't use easy entry. It happens when I shift gears to reverse out of my garage. Wife will turn it on when she enters (it used to persist as on). Then after I back out, it turns off again when I shift to drive. Very annoying.

EDIT: One thing I did learn was don't accidentally switch driver profiles while on a giant road trip because it will screw up NoA unconfirmed lane change option (switches it to OFF and you cannot change it to ON without being in park). Unconfirmed lane changes are so much better than flicking the AP stalk (and it did lane changes WAY BETTER. I had tons of aborted changes when it was off and not one while it was on).

Hmm I'm still on 8.5, maybe they replaced one bug with another... that would be stereotypical Tesla.

I didn't have this issue on 8.5 but I also only had 8.5 for a day before getting 2019.12. Hopefully Oz gets NoA and unconfirmed lane changes because NoA is mostly useless and it becomes slightly better without having to confirm changes (only in rural areas with mainly trucks/lorries on the road, when there is traffic ULC is useless).

I didn't have this issue on 8.5 but I also only had 8.5 for a day before getting 2019.12. Hopefully Oz gets NoA and unconfirmed lane changes because NoA is mostly useless and it becomes slightly better without having to confirm changes (only in rural areas with mainly trucks/lorries on the road, when there is traffic ULC is useless).
Even regular autopilot has been pretty embarrassing lately. We did a 2 hour drive yesterday and there was so much phantom braking my wife almost begged me to turn off autopilot. This hasn't happened in the 2 years I've owned the car, so my prediction that phantom braking would get a lot worse before it gets better was something I really wish I wasn't right about...

That said I'd be happy to try an any experimental features, even alpha quality since I love playing with the car, and am not afraid to simply take over when it does something stupid. I just wish the existing features wouldn't continually regress in random and sometimes spectacular ways. I still have to intermittently force wifi to work again by removing the profile, turning it off and then back on again and starting all over again.

Not for me. I don't use easy entry. It happens when I shift gears to reverse out of my garage. Wife will turn it on when she enters (it used to persist as on). Then after I back out, it turns off again when I shift to drive. Very annoying.

EDIT: One thing I did learn was don't accidentally switch driver profiles while on a giant road trip because it will screw up NoA unconfirmed lane change option (switches it to OFF and you cannot change it to ON without being in park). Unconfirmed lane changes are so much better than flicking the AP stalk (and it did lane changes WAY BETTER. I had tons of aborted changes when it was off and not one while it was on).
Do you mean it will mess up NoA lane change even if both profiles have it set the same way? That’s a bug, I’d think.

If so, it’s probably because there’s the confirmation screen when you turn it on and it doesn’t check for both NoA states being identical.

Do you mean it will mess up NoA lane change even if both profiles have it set the same way? That’s a bug, I’d think.

If so, it’s probably because there’s the confirmation screen when you turn it on and it doesn’t check for both NoA states being identical.

It's a bug. Both profiles had it activated but then it wouldn't do it even if I switched back. I think they are too focused on the investor show.

I noticed today that when I put the car in reverse, it kills the audio. The only way I can get audio again is to switch the source to something else. Did it twice in a row. This 2019.12 build is the first one that I am really seeing alot of issues with. Navigate on autopilot does not make exits now. I still have the confirmation on.

And this morning, my car was in some sort of boot loop. The center screen was fine, but the instrument cluster screen kept going off and on. With the powering up message. I tried the thumb wheel reset, no help. Thumb wheel with brake, no help. Used the center screen to power off the car. Then I could not get anything to come up. I could hear clicks and pops happen here in there, and the hvac would come on for a sec. Sounded like the whole car was now in some sort of boot loop. My wife got out to go get her keys, and that seemed to be the change that broke it out of this loop. Was fine after that. Prior to me getting in, it was sitting outside all night unplugged with sentry mode on.

6/18 definitely MCU1. I'm hoping they allow an upgrade to MCU2. They pretty much no longer support MCU1 and all new features look to be branching off for MCU2

Why should they do upgrades? Just fix the darn software to be able to run more efficiently. Honestly, the car does not do anything more than it ever has, so for MCU1 to be chocked up as obsolete is crazy. This entire point is supported by the release last summer that came out just prior to 9.0 where they cleaned up the software, added some acceleration, and the MCU1 was running faster than ever before.

Why should they do upgrades? Just fix the darn software to be able to run more efficiently. Honestly, the car does not do anything more than it ever has, so for MCU1 to be chocked up as obsolete is crazy. This entire point is supported by the release last summer that came out just prior to 9.0 where they cleaned up the software, added some acceleration, and the MCU1 was running faster than ever before.

That was a very short lived optimization. The browser now is non-functional and the constant nav of v9 is taxing the system such that it has issues playing streaming music. Its like it went from being able to chew gum and walk to stumbling around and swallowing the gum.

Reactions: viper2ko and ahkahn
How I feel when the Tesla app tells me a software update is available, but I'm stuck overseas for another month.

f81f0931953bb45d7ea1d7dc338625a5.jpg

That was a very short lived optimization. The browser now is non-functional and the constant nav of v9 is taxing the system such that it has issues playing streaming music. Its like it went from being able to chew gum and walk to stumbling around and swallowing the gum.

This. MCU1 just isn't powerful enough to handle V9. Everything in the software is optimized for the model 3. That mcu is incredibly smooth. Don't think Tesla really cares anymore to update MCU1. I wish they would let us go back to v8

I agree... my mcu1 has become incredibly laggy and Spotify keeps skipping when playing music! The browser is useless, I get memory corruption constantly, and it just simply feels like an iPhone 5 running the latest iOS...
if Tesla has abandoned mcu1, they need to offer an upgrade solution ASAP!

Reactions: Minecon_CA
I do lament the 2019 updates... since 19.4.3 AP has been nearly useless for me; so many micro braking twitches as it passes cars that it makes for a very turbulent ride; even when going along a well marked motorway, with no special cases. These are things that worked great in 2018. I'm now on 2019.12 and it's the same - constant twitchy braking behaviour. I've been driving without AP for these past few months... it's not fair to give my passengers car sickness or keep everyone on edge, and I'm also pretty terrified anytime there's someone driving relatively close behind me.

Too unpredictable these days! I had assumed it was because of the new NN looking for cars cutting in. But, I also wonder if some us need a radar recalibration - I remember bad phantom braking events in the early days that were solved with a radar calibration at the SC.

• Helpful
Reactions: rnortman
Me too. No phantom braking for me at all with AP2. I think I got lucky with my car and everything is really well calibrated and positioned.
You must be lucky. I've had my cameras all checked and tightened and so on and it made no difference. I keep getting little brakes when passing cars in other lanes, sometimes I get mysterious braking with nothing around me almost to a complete stop, and sometimes I get it matching the speed of the car in the adjacent lane instead of the car ahead.