Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I see what the events were? Also, do you have to enable Sentry every time you stop, or is there some way to have it on every time?

As you have 2.5, as long as you have a FAT32 formatted USB memory device installed with sufficient space, you just need to check the recorded video to see what happened.

Right now you need to enable Sentry mode each time you wish to use it.

It is believed that this will change in future releases to offer persistent settings such as 'always on when parked' or GPS based on/off settings.

Two ways, the first is to go to this link in your car's browser MCU Tester | TeslaTap
Another way, the accuracy of which might be a bit less, but is much easier is whether the plastic trim around the MCU screen is silver (MCU1) or graphite gray (MCU2).

Manufacture date may help as well, before March 2018 and it is MCU 1, After March 2018 MCU2, in March and it could be either...

Somewhat imprecise though but a good guide if you are not close to March 2018.

TBH, I had never expected Sentry Mode on an AP2 car and am actually fine with it in a "Faux" mode if it helps deter theft/vandalism. Sure it'd be nice to have recordings like the AP2.5+ cars, but even to act as a deterrent is helpful for the Tesla community as a whole. (e.g word on the street is, "Don't bother with Tesla's; it's not worth the risk, just move on to other cars...")

Two ways, the first is to go to this link in your car's browser MCU Tester | TeslaTap
Another way, the accuracy of which might be a bit less, but is much easier is whether the plastic trim around the MCU screen is silver (MCU1) or graphite gray (MCU2).
Thanks for the link! I went to that in the browser and confirmed I do have MCU2

Can I just insert a USB stick recently purchased, or do I have to set up folders and such on a computer first?
Is the video then viewable from in the car, or do I have to take the USB stick to a computer?

Can I just insert a USB stick recently purchased, or do I have to set up folders and such on a computer first?

It has to be formatted FAT32 and you have to create a folder named TeslaCam

Is the video then viewable from in the car, or do I have to take the USB stick to a computer?

At this point you have to hook the USB stick to something else to view the video. But Elon has hinted that more functionality is coming to Sentry Mode.

The theory is that Chromium isn't available/maintained for the 32-bit ARM processor in MCU1. So yes it is possible, but Tesla would have to update Chromium for the CPU, which might be more effort than they want to put into a "dead" platform.

Doesn't seem very accurate. There's still build options for armv7 and even armv6 in the latest code. I don't see any ASM code in the git at all.

build/config/arm.gni - chromium/src - Git at Google
build/config/v8_target_cpu.gni - chromium/src - Git at Google

So many Android devices out there are on ARMv7 that I can't see them discontinuing support for quite a while.

-------------------
on another note 2019.8.6 was just spotted on TeslaFi. Guess .12 isn't going wide.

TBH, I had never expected Sentry Mode on an AP2 car and am actually fine with it in a "Faux" mode if it helps deter theft/vandalism. Sure it'd be nice to have recordings like the AP2.5+ cars, but even to act as a deterrent is helpful for the Tesla community as a whole. (e.g word on the street is, "Don't bother with Tesla's; it's not worth the risk, just move on to other cars...")
Sadly, the reverse is still true. Thieves see Teslas as soft targets with rich pickings inside.
I hope that sentry mode will change that but it'll also give the game away to thieves too. If they loiter around a Tesla and no 'Sentry mode activated' screen pops up, they know its not recording and can help themselves. Think about it..... Not groovy, man!

Reactions: conman
I hope that sentry mode will change that but it'll also give the game away to thieves too. If they loiter around a Tesla and no 'Sentry mode activated' screen pops up, they know its not recording and can help themselves. Think about it..... Not groovy, man!
I hope it will soon be optional to display the sentry mode icon. Then thieves will not know if sentry mode is disabled, or enabled without display.

Kinda like you don't show if your house alarm is on or off viewable from the outside. Just incase it is off, you don't want the thieves to know.

Uhhh. Where the hell did 8.6 come from? lol
Lol, I don’t know, but I’ve had the same release notes for the last three updates.

Attachments

• BAC33AAF-AD4B-4881-80AF-D0213A245540.jpeg
    BAC33AAF-AD4B-4881-80AF-D0213A245540.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 112
  • 33277683-747E-4A19-9D8B-8F5719726EFD.jpeg
    33277683-747E-4A19-9D8B-8F5719726EFD.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 103
  • F941CE01-351C-49E9-BE68-6E4D6C977C76.jpeg
    F941CE01-351C-49E9-BE68-6E4D6C977C76.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 104
I updated to 2019.12 from 2019.8.3 on Sunday.
Two observations;
1) NoA seems to center itself a bit more dramatically when the lane widens following the end of on-ramps then it did on the prior software.
2) It still wants to slow down to merge in behind the vehicle it just passed when changing lanes. o_O

I have enabled NoA as the default but with all of the crazy drivers around here I haven't enabled the lane change without confirmation... yet.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: rnortman