Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed 16.2 on my 2018 MS 100D with AP2.5 here in Switzerland. No NoA but a severely handicapped EAP now.
This version is horrific and it's not going to get better as it's related to a regulatory limitation about how much steering input EAP can perform. It quit half way around a slight curve on the on ramp 3 mins into my first test drive of this version. I wish I had not upgraded......View attachment 410165
What a nightmare! :(

I notice I’m now seeing displayed lane lines on the one mile of gravel road I live on as well as my long gravel driveway. 2019.16.1 HW2 MCU1 Model S. When AP2 was new (18 mo ago maybe) it did this and I could actually enable AP and drive. Comically bad. It does not enable AP yet this time around. But something is improving in the vision system.
Guess I did not mention that while I had lane lines 18 mo ago. They disappeared shortly thereafter. Just grey field of nothingness around car image. Now they are back.

My Model 3 is still on 2019.8.5...is this normal. I am a new owner and have not been through an upgrade yet.
Welcome to the forums.
Your a bit behind but not overly so. Just make sure the car has a good WiFi signal where it sits most days(or nights) and the car should eventually report to you it has an update available. As you will learn it’s quite random and not an exact science. Just be patient and it will eventually work.

Welcome to the forums.
Your a bit behind but not overly so. Just make sure the car has a good WiFi signal where it sits most days(or nights) and the car should eventually report to you it has an update available. As you will learn it’s quite random and not an exact science. Just be patient and it will eventually work.
Thank you! I actually don’t have Wi-Fi access, but I do have the “premium package”, so I am supposed to get updates over the cellular network. Hopefully it will come soon!

Up to 500 in one day so far on TeslaFi and most people on the west coast have probably not even made it home to WiFi to download it/install it yet (assuming later day downloads). Definitely looks like a full rollout at this point. Got it here on the 3, waiting for the X.

Thank you! I actually don’t have Wi-Fi access, but I do have the “premium package”, so I am supposed to get updates over the cellular network. Hopefully it will come soon!

It will come but they (at least used to) prioritize wifi connected cars. If there is a security or major feature update, they just update everyone regardless of connection type. If you want to speed things up, consider connecting your car to a wifi hotspot (cell phone). You'll probably get the update soon regardless of what you do with the cellular connection.

It will come but they (at least used to) prioritize wifi connected cars. If there is a security or major feature update, they just update everyone regardless of connection type. If you want to speed things up, consider connecting your car to a wifi hotspot (cell phone). You'll probably get the update soon regardless of what you do with the cellular connection.
I agree.
Not sure how some of the really large map updates work when NOT on WiFi. Some of those are very big in size. I guess they will events get loaded on OTA data right?

Just got an update to 2019.16.2. Glad because 2019.12.x was very buggy for me.

In case you have not seen what the software update screenshots look like, I have attached here. They still do not show what update you are downloading or are about to install. One thing to notice in the screenshots is that once my Tesla disconnected from my work WiFi and went to LTE it stopped downloading and told me to connect to WiFi to download. Makes me wonder if not all updates will be delivered over LTE.

Also very glad to see the new visualization again. I saw it back when it was in beta. It adds nice detail to the car and makes it easier to see cars in blind spots on the highway because it’s more zoomed out.

B7A2A4E4-72EF-4006-A17D-60A83266E20A.jpeg

A20F16FB-F63F-4756-A1A5-1749A3A03FFA.jpeg

97D9A343-4EC1-4DA8-B96E-779740BE96C5.jpeg

Attachments

• 4BE150D0-2947-4513-B184-A401A188EB85.jpeg
    4BE150D0-2947-4513-B184-A401A188EB85.jpeg
    601.9 KB · Views: 56
I just installed 16.2 on my 2018 MS 100D with AP2.5 here in Switzerland. No NoA but a severely handicapped EAP now.
This version is horrific and it's not going to get better as it's related to a regulatory limitation about how much steering input EAP can perform. It quit half way around a slight curve on the on ramp 3 mins into my first test drive of this version. I wish I had not upgraded......View attachment 410165

All is not lost, my friend! This steering-force limitation producing AP break-outs in situations it previously handled should hopefully be a temporary regression which will be cured by AP learning to handle corners at more appropriate speeds (i.e. it currently goes too fast on approach and then brakes after being past the apex), through a map update and/or improved curve prediction algorithm. Also Tesla can and probably will apply for an exemption to the current regulation once FSD is ready to become >=L3. Also new regs for Europe are currently in preparation, so all may change again, see here:
Why don't European Model 3s have Autopilot?
Tesla Limits Autopilot In Europe Due To New UN/ECE Regulations

I can understand if people may want to skip a release or two until the changeover is more coherent and/or NoAP arrives but personally I prefer to go ahead and install 16.2 anyhow in order to benefit from
1. the general smoothness improvements it should bring to AP on the Autobahn
2. getting over the glitches in 12.1.2 which cause it to freeze up fairly frequently
3. improved safety through new active emergency lane-keeping feature (current LDW is practically useless with slight silent tremor in wheel imperceptible at speed)

So the red light detection thing definitely works on yellows that change red after you are in the intersection. I was nearly through when it switched to red and the car threw up the red hands. Shortly thereafter, there was a lawn maintenance truck partially in my lane and no traffic in the oncoming direction so I took over steering and moved across the double yellow lines and the car put up a "lane departure" warning and attempted to steer me back into the lawn truck. I fought it off but its a stupid feature if it can't avoid steering into objects (that it did not detect from a distance). I was going 35mph in a 35.

Tesla needs to develop some contextual understanding or even better still vision. Not just to avoid steering into objects it somehow still cannot see (its a big truck with other equipment on it) but to better harness the vision package they have (warts and all). Otherwise its been a good update for me from 2019.12.1.1. The visualizer works well, it seems to detect pedestrians better and they are much more visible on the IC. TeslaVision just seems to work slightly better (it better tracks vehicles from a slightly farther distance, the vehicles are better animated, and it will take well marked protected left turns if there is a lead vehicle (It used to chicken out in some versions halfway through the turn or not turn the wheel enough and careen into other lanes)). So steady improvement and not much backsliding so far. They really need to deploy much better driving policy than they have managed so far and the active safety features need that added contextual awarenesses.

I just received 16.2 last night.. I will say, I used to get updates once every 3-4 months but once I connected my car to a range extender and having my car on 4 bars of wifi now gives me the updates right away!

With 16.2 you can select if you want software updates sooner. Otherwise here in the USA the only changes are the zooming in/out on the small screen and some additional sentry mode settings, along with a new icon on the top of the map.