Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just confused when people talk about this phantom braking, changing lanes unexpectedly etc. To me it is more like driving as the instructor with a learner driver if you have to watch over it rather than the other way around.

Ah. I haven’t really experienced phantom braking in quite a while(well, kinda. Had some braking with stopped cars in the next lane on 2019.8.5, and stopped using it in that situation for that reason, but it’s gone now). Haven’t seen it change lanes unexpectedly since somewhere in 2017.

*Navigate on* Autopilot is sometimes of questionable utility right now, and I usually just switch to normal autosteer when that’s the case(or take over when I need to do something bolder than I think Autopilot would be willing to do). I don’t really mind taking back control and then giving it back.

I was looking forward to the new safety features you mention, Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. Sadly, when 16.2 came to my AP2 S75D (with FSD enabled) this morning, NEITHER were included in the Release Notes and NEITHER appears as an on/off option in Settings/Autopilot.
The ONLY things these features do is perform Autopilot functions when Autosteer is not enabled. I can think of NO rational reason why any car that can perform all AP functions perfectly well would not have the two Lane Departure Avoidance features enabled.
They were present in 16 or 16.1.
Have they been removed from 16.2 in Model 3 cars, as well?
Can anyone explain the apparent lunacy of removing these two important safety features that are nothing but extensions of Lane Departure Warning and Autosteer both of which have been functional for years?

The Tesla announcement said those features are only for model 3 right now and will come to model S/X “later”. It’s a surprise to me that they were ever present in previous S/X releases.

Very strange indeed! If LDA is not in 16.2 for MS HW2.5 then I will probably stick with 12.1.2 until some significant improvements appear and/or the nEUtered steering gets patched, which may mean just waiting for HW3 around Christmas [of 2019, hopefully].

Just letting the steering suddenly (and silently!) go straight in curves AP previously routinely handled is quite a serious safety regression and I will not be surprised if quite a few people get caught out by this, as Siggy101 mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrGrPa and Siggy101
I don't have the option to disable but my IC has displayed a warning about departing lane and the wheel jerked me but it was unwanted as I intentionally left my lane and it wasn't an actual safety issue. Same thing happened to me with 2019.12 when I was steering in a construction zone to edge of road. The safety aspect is there and baked into the software.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I don't have the option to disable but my IC has displayed a warning about departing lane and the wheel jerked me but it was unwanted as I intentionally left my lane and it wasn't an actual safety issue. Same thing happened to me with 2019.12 when I was steering in a construction zone to edge of road. The safety aspect is there and baked into the software.

My wife's 2015 Lincoln does this with Lane Keep Assist, but as always, you can overpower it.

2019.12.2 seems to have broken my Auto Lane Change.
As you can see from the error message it says "Auto Lane Change Inhibited. Please unlatch turn indicator".
I have a March 2016 Model X 75D with 2.0 hardware. I am in New Zealand and none of the restrictions such as have been enabled in Europe were notified or should apply. Anyone else seen this?
View attachment 410833
Same type of message (but in German ;)) on the highway heading Zürich :(
"Spurwechselassistent beeinträchtigt - Bitte Blinker abschalten"

Same type of message (but in German ;)) on the highway heading Zürich :(
"Spurwechselassistent beeinträchtigt - Bitte Blinker abschalten"
Do not latch the turn signal. Just give it a touch up or down before it latches and the ALC will happen.

I was actually terrified when I accepted the update, but I couldn't find any part of my commute this morning where the new turn degree limitation became obvious (there are a couple of sharp turns on my way to work and they all work as they did before the update). And as I just said, ALC does work if you don't latch the indicator.

The only new thing that really bothers is nagging, happening every 15 seconds or so.

I wonder what will happen when a car with this update installed that is running on AP encounters a turn that is ‘too steep’... will it turn the steering wheel up to the allowed maximum and then drive out of the turn into the woods? I don’t see how this is ever safer than before....

Could you please post a video?

video here

He has three goes at some s-curves starting at 2 mins. On the third go AP wimps out mid-turn and comes to a stop with hazard lights flashing. It goes over the centre line on all 3 attempts.

For comparison, same s-curves on 2019.12.1.1

Do not latch the turn signal. Just give it a touch up or down before it latches and the ALC will happen.

I was actually terrified when I accepted the update, but I couldn't find any part of my commute this morning where the new turn degree limitation became obvious (there are a couple of sharp turns on my way to work and they all work as they did before the update). And as I just said, ALC does work if you don't latch the indicator.

The only new thing that really bothers is nagging, happening every 15 seconds or so.
I am in agreement- I’ve had no issues with the limitations + this is the smoothest build yet for me on motorways.

• Informative
Reactions: arubinst
"European" user here, just got the software update available notification on my phone. But seeing all the reports about the crippled AP on this release, I'm really wondering if it's worth trading against what basically amounts to new visualisation..

Still new to the update, animations are definitely cool. The autopilot seems a little less astute ... but it could be recalibration.... the adjacent lanes show fewer cars and it’s not as good at recognizing the end of a road if there is sharp turn at end....

Again could be recalibration, I have mcu1 ap2... still too early to tell but bravo on sentry more Button and this update will be great when they fine tune it

Buttershrimp, did you get the safety features:
  • Lane Departure Avoidance
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
in your Tesla? If I remember correctly, you have a Model X.

I have a December 2016 S90D with AP2 and I just got 2019.16.2 last night.

Those were two safety features that I was waiting for and it is a shame that they are not there.

I'm going to be honest here, I just got updated from 2019.16.1 to 2019.16.2, and I was scared to death (for the first time ever) to update after reading this thread.

I went ahead and bit the bullet, and honestly, this is one of the best updates I've gotten to date. Rock solid on Autopilot, the MCU1 is MUCH faster than before (even faster than 16.1), and overall a pleasant update! I understand the European guys are crippled by this update, but for us here in the USA it is excellent.

I'm going to be honest here, I just got updated from 2019.16.1 to 2019.16.2, and I was scared to death (for the first time ever) to update after reading this thread.

I went ahead and bit the bullet, and honestly, this is one of the best updates I've gotten to date. Rock solid on Autopilot, the MCU1 is MUCH faster than before (even faster than 16.1), and overall a pleasant update! I understand the European guys are crippled by this update, but for us here in the USA it is excellent.
This is similar to my experience

Reactions: croman and ahkahn