Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t seem the same as what Model 3 is getting. Theirs is literally any time you let go of the wheel and depart a lane it’ll push you back. The Model S/X variant seems to only be after a recent Autopilot failed engagement or disengagement.

No. It's the same and it's actually annoying because I leave the lane because it's construction or a vehicle is partially in my lane and the system doesn't get it and nudges me feebly so I end up fighting it at bad moments.

I understand the European guys are crippled by this update, but for us here in the USA it is excellent.
It always saddens me to hear how far behind or how uniquely shafted we may be. In Australia we got nerfed by this one with its new 15s nags, and the phantom braking is reaching new heights for me at least. The new visualisation is cute enough though, but I'd kill to go back to last year's earlier silky smooth release and give up all the new features till they can sort out AP. Without NoA we don't really have anything new for autopilot except for blind spot lane change management. That seems hardly worth it for how much worse the TACC component of autopilot is. My wife keeps telling me to turn it off even on the smoothest low traffic open freeways. These days I'm using it almost like playing a PC game to see how much I can confuse it with urban usage and laugh and cry at it at the same time.

BC444B04-375C-4CEC-934E-9EE27F44BEFB.png
Here the biggest difference I am finding from 16.1.1 to 16.2
I don’t need a notification every minute thank you

Yes I've had the same experience. HW2.

Thanks guys for the information. Having HW2.0 is a weird experience IMHO. Not ever too sure what we will have or not have. I noticed that there was nothing in the release notes about lane departure but I tested it anyway further. This is the value of this forum ... getting info from other owners. Thanks again...you have given me an action item!

Not if you have HW 2.0 :( No lane departure assist for us. I have EAP FSD and keep being told by Tesla what I cannot get. ugh

Being told by who?

I did not get it and I keep reading that HW2.0 model s will not get it yet. Can anyone clarify this?

Why not look at the information Tesla provided about the feature? More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners

At Tesla, improving safety is our primary goal, even after a customer purchases their car. That’s why we’re introducing these features beginning today via a free over-the-air software update, starting with Model 3 owners and gradually expanding to all cars that were built after October 2016. This is just another way that we are helping to protect Tesla drivers and passengers, and others on the road, every day.

So if your Tesla was built after October 2016 you will get the new safety features.

Buttershrimp, did you get the safety features:
  • Lane Departure Avoidance
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
in your Tesla? If I remember correctly, you have a Model X.

I have a December 2016 S90D with AP2 and I just got 2019.16.2 last night.

Those were two safety features that I was waiting for and it is a shame that they are not there.
I'm not sure about that... I'll check in the morning.
As buggy as 2019.12 is, sounds like 2019.16 is even worse regardless of where you live. Sounds like I'm better off staying here for the time being
I had big improvement between 16.1 and 16.2.... it's like 16.2 is as good as .12 but with all the visualizations
I'm going to be honest here, I just got updated from 2019.16.1 to 2019.16.2, and I was scared to death (for the first time ever) to update after reading this thread.
Word
I went ahead and bit the bullet, and honestly, this is one of the best updates I've gotten to date. Rock solid on Autopilot, the MCU1 is MUCH faster than before (even faster than 16.1), and overall a pleasant update! I understand the European guys are crippled by this update, but for us here in the USA it is excellent.
Yep

Reactions: Duffer and ahkahn
I have HW2.0 and could not get either Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance to activate. The only feature that activates is the already existent lane departure warning with steering wheel vibration.
Same. ‘17 S, AP2 / MCU 1, USA and I could drive over double yellows all afternoon and not the slightest hint of a nudge. Our Main Street is narrow with street parking on 1 of the 2 sides, so everybody on that side tends to drive with their left wheel on the center line, so I tried different positions and never noticed anything other than the usual vibration.

Tried some medium twisty 2 lane roads and no issues there either.

It’s like you guys have some sort of secret phantom setting enabled - any chance you could shoot a video of it happening?

Reactions: futurem3owner
I have HW2.0 and could not get either Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance to activate. The only feature that activates is the already existent lane departure warning with steering wheel vibration.

That is because they haven't released the feature for the S&X yet. (With any level of AP hardware.)

Not the case. I had lane departure assist kick in today on 16.2 on HW 2.0.
I got 16.2 last night and tried the lane departure multiple times today at speeds between 30 and 75. It didn't do anything for me :-(

Super disappointed. I really wanted it.

HW 2.0 and FSD here in my 12/2016 build MS. Went through all the displays hoping to find something turned off but nothing new was found. Did hard reboot just in case - still not working. Wondering if you need the 'redundant steering system' for it to work (2.5 HW?)...

Go to a freeway where NoA could work. Drive into the shoulder like construction shunted you over. Watch as your car forces you back into the road.

I tried it on our freeway at 70, both crossing the broken stripped line going from the right to the left lane and solid white line going into the shoulder. Did nothing. The screen display did show me well over in both cases.

In fact, the 'vibration' feature in my car is so light it is pretty useless. Wonder if I have an equipment issue.

But someone said it was only implemented on the M3 so maybe that is why.

Ahhh - OK. Thought it was for all 2.0+ vehicles. So it is only for M3s?

It is, just not yet:

At Tesla, improving safety is our primary goal, even after a customer purchases their car. That’s why we’re introducing these features beginning today via a free over-the-air software update, starting with Model 3 owners and gradually expanding to all cars that were built after October 2016. This is just another way that we are helping to protect Tesla drivers and passengers, and others on the road, every day.

Reactions: FMinMI