Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I’m saying the last time I said the features didn’t exist on s/X a bunch of people replied to me and/or hit the disagree button saying that although it wasn’t in the UI, these features did kick in on their cars. Because of that, I did more careful testing today when I found opportunities to try it.... and it confirmed that at least for me, it behaves like Tesla said — not present on S/X, present on Model 3.
Hopefully I’m not confusing the debate further(I’ve tried to keep up with this thread)
I know for a fact my 75 S has lane departure warning. It’s in the form of a small vibration on the steering wheel. I have felt it every time I change lanes now without using signal.
Or am I mistaking the topic for if there is lane departure of an audible and visual IC type?
2017 US based model S

Hopefully I’m not confusing the debate further(I’ve tried to keep up with this thread)
I know for a fact my 75 S has lane departure warning. It’s in the form of a small vibration on the steering wheel. I have felt it every time I change lanes now without using signal.
Or am I mistaking the topic for if there is lane departure of an audible and visual IC type?
2017 US based model S
Lane departure warning has been there for quite long time, vibrating the steering wheel.

We are talking about the new lane department safety feature, which actively steers the car back into the lane. Sort of like a mild autopilot (without autopilot engaged).

I can't see how the (new, alright?) LD features can be in the car without the switches being in the UI to select what level you want for one and to be able to disable for one trip for the other. That makes no sense. And of course we're talking about the added LD features that were announced several weeks ago in the blog.

For new/repeated reference at this level of the thread: More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners

A few weeks ago (car was probably on 2019.12.1) I had occasion on motorway where I was going to activate autopilot but only one pull of stalk registered, so only TACC (and I let go of steering wheel). Before I even noticed (morning coma syndrome, MCS), car corrected the driving line heading out of lane to middle of lane with a warning. Reaction was very proactive and smooth. It has been warning about possible unintended lane departures before, but not taken over the control. I guess this is the new feature?

Mine is a AP 2.0 car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tranzndance
No, it is very clear. Show me an AP1 car built after October, 2016. (Hint: There aren't any.)

Thanks Mike. My fault.

Like you said it's very clear at the very bottom of the page (which I apparently gave up reading) where it says "we’re introducing these features beginning today via a free over-the-air software update, starting with Model 3 owners and gradually expanding to all cars that were built after October 2016."

A few weeks ago (car was probably on 2019.12.1) I had occasion on motorway where I was going to activate autopilot but only one pull of stalk registered, so only TACC (and I let go of steering wheel). Before I even noticed (morning coma syndrome, MCS), car corrected the driving line heading out of lane to middle of lane with a warning. Reaction was very proactive and smooth. It has been warning about possible unintended lane departures before, but not taken over the control. I guess this is the new feature?

Mine is a AP 2.0 car.
I had a similar experience on 2019.12.1 a couple of weeks ago as well. I was intentionally crossing the dashed line and felt the wheel turn to put me back in the lane even though AP wasn't enabled. AP2 so no official new LD features...but it seems something might've been working behind the scenes. The car has since been upgraded to 2019.16.2 and I haven't tried reproducing this scenario yet.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
I had a similar experience on 2019.12.1 a couple of weeks ago as well. I was intentionally crossing the dashed line and felt the wheel turn to put me back in the lane even though AP wasn't enabled. AP2 so no official new LD features...but it seems something might've been working behind the scenes. The car has since been upgraded to 2019.16.2 and I haven't tried reproducing this scenario yet.

Same. Feb 2017 model S. HW 2.0. FSD purchased.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It does. But I have to say it’s so light it’s almost imperceptible. I have to be focusing to notice it. Not that helpful honestly in this form.

May be that's what is happening to my car but I just can't feel it. Previously, it was with both the steering vibration I could feel and an audible buzz I could clearly hear. I can not detect either at all. If they are still there, not sure the reason behind dampening/hiding them from the driver.

Reactions: OPRCE
Lane departure warning has been there for quite long time, vibrating the steering wheel.

We are talking about the new lane department safety feature, which actively steers the car back into the lane. Sort of like a mild autopilot (without autopilot engaged).
I was thinking the same thing as this. But I think I may have disabled it. Is there a setting to enable or disable this? And where? Also, is there a ABS setting?

I got 2019.16.2 the other day upgrading from 2019.12.1.1. I do not use NOA that often because normally the freeways in CA are just to busy for me to wait for it to try and navigate. Much faster to just do it myself. But I do take it out for a test drive to test the features from time to time so my experience is limited. But my latest test showed noticeable improvements in NOA. A couple days before getting 16.2 and it failed where it has failed in the past consistently. But with 16.2 it worked extremely well. I will need to test again to see it was a one time success.

The test is a freeway transition from the 405 (south/east) to the 110 south (around Torrance, CA). The transition leaves the 405 (2 right lanes) and there is a 2 lane split going 110 north and 110 south. The prior time it waited too long to make the move required to go south with a lot of traffic on my right. This time with a lot of traffic it started the move much earlier and made the transition without a problem. Also, at the end of my trip towards Catalina Express transition (kind of complicated) off of 110 was great.

Anyway, encouraged......