Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All is not lost, my friend! This steering-force limitation producing AP break-outs in situations it previously handled should hopefully be a temporary regression which will be cured by AP learning to handle corners at more appropriate speeds (i.e. it currently goes too fast on approach and then brakes after being past the apex), through a map update and/or improved curve prediction algorithm. Also Tesla can and probably will apply for an exemption to the current regulation once FSD is ready to become >=L3. Also new regs for Europe are currently in preparation, so all may change again, see here:
Why don't European Model 3s have Autopilot?
Tesla Limits Autopilot In Europe Due To New UN/ECE Regulations

I can understand if people may want to skip a release or two until the changeover is more coherent and/or NoAP arrives but personally I prefer to go ahead and install 16.2 anyhow in order to benefit from
1. the general smoothness improvements it should bring to AP on the Autobahn
2. getting over the glitches in 12.1.2 which cause it to freeze up fairly frequently
3. improved safety through new active emergency lane-keeping feature (current LDW is practically useless with slight silent tremor in wheel imperceptible at speed)

I hope so too. Seeing as you are in CH too, you know how crappy it is to get EU regulations enforced on us. Our little island seems to be suffering from rising sea levels......
I hope they sort it very soon. If there was any way to roll back, I would do it in a heartbeat. 16.2 has tried to kill me twice already and it means EAP is only really usable now on dead straight motorways. Even lane changes now give up half way into the lane sometimes now.
Save us, Elon!

I wonder how hard that exemption is going to be if you aren't a Germany car maker.......
I hope it's not like CCS all over again.

Up to 500 in one day so far on TeslaFi and most people on the west coast have probably not even made it home to WiFi to download it/install it yet (assuming later day downloads). Definitely looks like a full rollout at this point. Got it here on the 3, waiting for the X.

I saw the message on my Model X that an update were available. Fortunately I deleted all my wifi configurations a few days ago when I saw @verygreen disclose of the "Improvements" to us European users. It seems I will stay a few months on 2019.12.1.2. As far as I know, Tesla cannot enforce an update remotely.

Even when I managed to skip this update, I feel very angry and betrayed. I live on a stupid burocratic continent with the need to regulate every sh*t they have no f*kng idea about.

For me, Software Updates and Autopilot are the distinctive features of Tesla. Now I am blocked on both.

I saw the message on my Model X that an update were available. Fortunately I deleted all my wifi configurations a few days ago when I saw @verygreen disclose of the "Improvements" to us European users. It seems I will stay a few months on 2019.12.1.2. As far as I know, Tesla cannot enforce an update remotely.

Even when I managed to skip this update, I feel very angry and betrayed. I live on a stupid burocratic continent with the need to regulate every sh*t they have no f*kng idea about.

For me, Software Updates and Autopilot are the distinctive features of Tesla. Now I am blocked on both.
Just in case you (and other members) are not aware, there's a petition circulating regarding this problem.

I don't know if these petitions are any good or if they're ever taken into account, but at least it cannot hurt to sign.

You may access the petition here.

I feel the need to warn you that, although Avaas.org is a very reputable site, with a lot of serious campaigns going on, they will start spamming you as soon as you sign. You will just need to unsubscribe from their mailing service and they will stop the spamming immediately, but I found it very annoying to receive unsolicited email and I felt I had to let you know this before you go and sign the petition.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabre Man and OPRCE
16.2 has tried to kill me twice already

Please elaborate on this a bit ... my opinion to not skip 16.2 was based on the presumption that AP should be improved on the motorway compared to 12.1.2 but if it is actually worse I may reconsider.

PS: Hmmn, it seems other S/X drivers in Europe are giving the same warnings as Siggy101 and fmonera:
EU S X users, think twice before updating to 2019.16.2, autopilot is more limited : teslamotors

you know how crappy it is to get EU regulations enforced on us

In this case I think it's the UN we must blame:
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2017/R079r3e.pdf

Last edited:
Just in case you (and other members) are not aware, there's a petition circulating regarding this problem.

I don't know if these petitions are any good or if they're ever taken into account, but at least it cannot hurt to sign.

You may access the petition here.

I feel the need to warn you that, although Avaas.org is a very reputable site, with a lot of serious campaigns going on, they will start spamming you as soon as you sign. You will just need to unsubscribe from their mailing service and they will stop the spamming immediately, but I found it very annoying to receive unsolicited email and I felt I had to let you know this before you go and sign the petition.

Yes, I was the 9th person to sign there a few minutes after the petition was created.

Please elaborate on this a bit ... my opinion to not skip 16.2 was based on the presumption that AP should be improved on the motorway compared to 12.1.2 but if it is actually worse I may reconsider.

PS: Hmmn, it seems other S/X drivers in Europe are giving the same warnings as Siggy101 and fmonera:
EU S X users, think twice before updating to 2019.16.2, autopilot is more limited : teslamotors

In this case I think it's the UN we must blame:
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2017/R079r3e.pdf
It's rather hard to describe well but let me have a go:
After installing 2019.16.2, I took a drive. The first 3 mins was on a city dual carriageway and all was good. I then turned right onto the on-ramp to the motorway. The on-ramp is a 270 degree spiral with a 40kph limit. The car (2018 MS 100D with AP2.5, EAP & FSD in Switzerland) was on EAP. It slowed for the initial turn in. It did not slow anything like enough and at about 60kph, it crossed the outer white line. I took over the steering and braked hard.
In the interests of the test, as soon as autosteer was available once more (about 90 degrees into the turn), I re-enabled. It did manage to make some more of the turn but slowed to around 25kph (in a 40....!). It then crossed the outer white line. As there was enough room, I allowed it to cross to see what it would do. After crossing the white line, it put a small yellow message on the bottom of the instrument cluster that said "Autosteer limit exceeded". It then gave up completely and I grabbed the wheel.

Another incident was when cresting a hill, just 250m after the on ramp curve described above.
Here there is a mild crest in the road. The sort that would have induced the old left swerve back in the day. At the crest, there is a very slight left bend. By very slight I mean about the equivalent of a very slow lane change. With EAP engaged, I let her crest the hill. She started to steer left but only about 25% of the input that was needed and far too late. Again, she crossed the outside white line, threw the same message and then I took over.

For reference, I have been able to drive both of these curves a hundred times in the past, no bother.

Until this is resolved, I will not be using autosteer on anything but dead straight motorway. It is dangerous and it is only a matter of time before we start seeing people going to the press about why "Autopilot crashed my car". I know that his will be utter tosh as we are all responsible at all times but to have such a strong regression from one version to the next is going to catch people out, BIG TIME.
You just can't have a driver assistance system that suddenly gives up control in the middle of a manoeuvre. By the very nature of when it is triggered, this is guaranteed to cause a crash in 100% of cases that it hits the limit without immediate driver input. The wheel straightens and the car heads directly towards the armco outside the curve.

I sincerely hope that Tesla can demonstrate to the authorities that their system is far more capable than the limitation in this regulation so they can successfully acquire an exemption.

"improvements"
You clearly aren't in a European country! Here we got shat on from a great height. Autosteer is now a bloody deathtrap! You wait for the outcry when this disaster goes wide...
Received 2019.16.2 last night.
Went for a ride on secondary roads and did not noticed changes with Autosteer under AP.
Will try tomorrow on a highway ride from Basel to Baden, but curves on highways at least in our region are not so sharp except on ramp, but till now I don't used AP on ramp which is for exemple a 180 degree spiral with a 40 km/h limit when driving home).

It's rather hard to describe well but let me have a go:
After installing 2019.16.2, I took a drive. The first 3 mins was on a city dual carriageway and all was good. I then turned right onto the on-ramp to the motorway. The on-ramp is a 270 degree spiral with a 40kph limit. The car (2018 MS 100D with AP2.5, EAP & FSD in Switzerland) was on EAP. It slowed for the initial turn in. It did not slow anything like enough and at about 60kph, it crossed the outer white line. I took over the steering and braked hard.
In the interests of the test, as soon as autosteer was available once more (about 90 degrees into the turn), I re-enabled. It did manage to make some more of the turn but slowed to around 25kph (in a 40....!). It then crossed the outer white line. As there was enough room, I allowed it to cross to see what it would do. After crossing the white line, it put a small yellow message on the bottom of the instrument cluster that said "Autosteer limit exceeded". It then gave up completely and I grabbed the wheel.

Another incident was when cresting a hill, just 250m after the on ramp curve described above.
Here there is a mild crest in the road. The sort that would have induced the old left swerve back in the day. At the crest, there is a very slight left bend. By very slight I mean about the equivalent of a very slow lane change. With EAP engaged, I let her crest the hill. She started to steer left but only about 25% of the input that was needed and far too late. Again, she crossed the outside white line, threw the same message and then I took over.

For reference, I have been able to drive both of these curves a hundred times in the past, no bother.

Until this is resolved, I will not be using autosteer on anything but dead straight motorway. It is dangerous and it is only a matter of time before we start seeing people going to the press about why "Autopilot crashed my car". I know that his will be utter tosh as we are all responsible at all times but to have such a strong regression from one version to the next is going to catch people out, BIG TIME.
You just can't have a driver assistance system that suddenly gives up control in the middle of a manoeuvre. By the very nature of when it is triggered, this is guaranteed to cause a crash in 100% of cases that it hits the limit without immediate driver input. The wheel straightens and the car heads directly towards the armco outside the curve.

I sincerely hope that Tesla can demonstrate to the authorities that their system is far more capable than the limitation in this regulation so they can successfully acquire an exemption.

Thanks for the graphic details ... it is sounding ... not good!

Reactions: Siggy101
2019.16.2 will keep you in your lane with or without AP engaged, which is a big safety improvement and the ultimate cure for mode confusion and nodding off, see here for demo of it in action:
Andrew S on Twitter

I was looking forward to the new safety features you mention, Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. Sadly, when 16.2 came to my AP2 S75D (with FSD enabled) this morning, NEITHER were included in the Release Notes and NEITHER appears as an on/off option in Settings/Autopilot.
The ONLY things these features do is perform Autopilot functions when Autosteer is not enabled. I can think of NO rational reason why any car that can perform all AP functions perfectly well would not have the two Lane Departure Avoidance features enabled.
They were present in 16 or 16.1.
Have they been removed from 16.2 in Model 3 cars, as well?
Can anyone explain the apparent lunacy of removing these two important safety features that are nothing but extensions of Lane Departure Warning and Autosteer both of which have been functional for years?

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
If that’s the case, he may be stuck on some older version of software that is dependent on the maps.
Might have to go to plan B
Thank you for the help. Interestingly, I contacted Tesla through chat and they said that they had tried to push me an update but it didnt finish due to lack of wifi. He tried to push it via LTE after I suggested I would have trouble getting to WIFI in the next few days, but again it failed. I now have an appt to go to the service center for a manual push of the upgrade (or if I find a spot with good WIFI before that, maybe it will download).

I agree.
Not sure how some of the really large map updates work when NOT on WiFi. Some of those are very big in size. I guess they will events get loaded on OTA data right?
Thanks guys! I contacted service last night and they said that the update tried to download and failed due to lack of WIFI, then they tried to push it again, but it again failed. So next step is to visit the service center next week and have it updated there. Hopefully in the future I can get connected to a public WIFI when updates come out and get them downloaded.

Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: quickstrike12
I was looking forward to the new safety features you mention, Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. Sadly, when 16.2 came to my AP2 S75D (with FSD enabled) this morning, NEITHER were included in the Release Notes and NEITHER appears as an on/off option in Settings/Autopilot.
The ONLY things these features do is perform Autopilot functions when Autosteer is not enabled. I can think of NO rational reason why any car that can perform all AP functions perfectly well would not have the two Lane Departure Avoidance features enabled.
They were present in 16 or 16.1.
Have they been removed from 16.2 in Model 3 cars, as well?
Can anyone explain the apparent lunacy of removing these two important safety features that are nothing but extensions of Lane Departure Warning and Autosteer both of which have been functional for years?

My AP2 S is still doing those things. Actually was kinda annoying when it tried to steer me back into my lane which I left to avoid a truck partially parked on the shoulder.

Since receiving the upgrade from 16.1 to 16.2, I have had three separate phantom braking incidents while traveling under overpasses and an overhead highway sign. One of them really pissed off a pickup behind me who I am sure thought I was brake-checking him for following too close.

I am hoping its just a calibration issue, but not enjoyable going back to the mysterious phantom braking days of prior releases.

Also, issues regarding Bluetooth call connection/volume and random music playing in the background on my iPhone Xs Max are still around, and have been for several of the past updates.

I’m new to NoA and in the UK - I should have to confirm with the turn signal stalk to make the car take the off ramp correct? As NoA was not available and then around 100ft before the off ramp, NoA activated and it took the turning automatically. It took me by surprise as I wasn’t actually planning exiting at that junction and I was completely unprepared for it to dive into the exit lane...

I’m new to NoA and in the UK - I should have to confirm with the turn signal stalk to make the car take the off ramp correct? As NoA was not available and then around 100ft before the off ramp, NoA activated and it took the turning automatically. It took me by surprise as I wasn’t actually planning exiting at that junction and I was completely unprepared for it to dive into the exit lane...
I don't know about UK, but at least in the US, when lane change confirmation is on, it'll still take offramps automatically.