Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the 16.2 update yesterday on my late 2018 MS. Had all kinds of minor bugs throughout the day:
  • Wiper Service Mode not working (wipers and washer fluid from the wand works fine)
  • Screen brightness at 100% full time when on Auto, even when in dark areas
  • Auto Headlights stopped working. Toggled the control, played around with lighting settings. No luck.
To reset things, I’ve done the two scroll-wheel reset, menu-based full reset, and a few voodoo dances.

Anyone having similar problems?

I got the 'software update available' notification this morning. Having read EU folk's experiences, this is one update I'm hesitant to accept.

I've just been catching up on the UN/ECE R79 stuff.

:mad: seems well-meaning nanny-staters consider it safer for a lane-following car to suddenly give up on taking a corner than letting the driver decide when to take over.

Sure, EAP is sometimes a little over-eager when it comes to how fast it thinks it can take some corners, but that's where I come in being in control of the car and all.

As for the 'you have 5 seconds to make a lane change'. Really? I've found the conservative lane changes EAP takes when it waits for a good/big gap front and rear before changing lane very helpful and it's made me rethink some of my driving habits. Signal, let the car hang there waiting for the red cars and lines turn 'safe' and then it moves over. Brilliant.

Unsure what evidence there is for 5 seconds (130m/~400' at 60mph) being the right duration to cancel such an instruction. Seems a potential incentive for impatient manoeuvring.

Very pesky indeed.

Most of the time when people complain about this it's because they haven't turned their wipers off first and probably have them set to one of the auto settings. They won't go into service mode unless they're off first.
:oops: I've certainly done this before. I tend to leave the wiper stalk on the 2-dot auto setting. I then forget about it when I come to clean the windshield and wonder why on earth the wipers won't go into service mode.

Do not latch the turn signal. Just give it a touch up or down before it latches and the ALC will happen.

I was actually terrified when I accepted the update, but I couldn't find any part of my commute this morning where the new turn degree limitation became obvious (there are a couple of sharp turns on my way to work and they all work as they did before the update). And as I just said, ALC does work if you don't latch the indicator.

The only new thing that really bothers is nagging, happening every 15 seconds or so.
I always latch the turn indicator (pos. 1) for ALC.

Short question: How is versions 16.1.1/16.1.2 on AP1 (may. 2016) in Europe (Norway)? I've recevied the (an) update, but hesitant to install it based on all the comments about degraded AP. Scrolled through the thread to try to find the answer, but cannot find anything for AP HW1.0

Last edited:
Short question: How is versions 16.1.1/16.1.2 on AP1 (may. 2016) in Europe (Norway)? I've recevied the (an) update, but hesitant to install it based on all the comments about degraded AP. Scrolled through the thread to try to find the answer, but cannot find anything for AP HW1.0
Those who have AP1 in Australia have said it made no change to AP for them. They didn't even get the 15s nags.

g'day mate! I am still torn between getting 2019.16 when it arrives or refraining from updating.
Because you get all the good stuff and possibly NoA as well.
How do the nags and EU/ UN rules affect Australia? Because Australia happens to be in the commonwealth with UK? Well so is Canada, but they don't get this crap, do they?
Perhaps we use the UN rules in lieu of having our own legislation?
Smaller countries can leverage the legislation of larger like-minded jurisdictions to save having their own regulators.
For example, I work in the medical device industry, and in Australia we have to have things approved by the TGA (Australia's version of the US FDA). In neighbouring New Zealand they don't have their own regulator, but just use CE approval as tacit approval for NZ.
In other words, in our warehouse we have devices that are approved in Europe but not in Australia. We can sell these in NZ, but not in Australia.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I was doubtful about updating to 16.2 from 12.1.2 but went ahead with it anyhow and after an extensive test drive yesterday can report:

1. It does not perform noticeably differently on the motorway, except nags are now 15sec at all speeds instead of staggered to be less frequent as velocity declines, but this has no practical effect for those who keep their hands on the wheel anyhow.

2. On countryside roads it sometimes corners differently, slowing more prior to sharp turns as opposed to racing in and braking coming out, and sometimes still breaks out of AP with a warning dong on those where it fails to slow sufficiently, which is maybe 15% but in general it is no worse than before.

3. For example, at one particularly tight 180° on-ramp (A1 at Kerzers > Lausanne) the previous AP would always do at 47kmh, skimming nerve-wrackingly close to the curved concrete wall right behind the outside line, whereas now it completes the same turn at a much more tolerable 35kmh.

4. While it added no major features [neither NoAP in Switzerland nor LKA on MS yet] I do not regret having installed it as I find my driving is not negatively affected by having the steering comply with the relevant norms.

Got the 16.2 update yesterday on my late 2018 MS. Had all kinds of minor bugs throughout the day:
  • Wiper Service Mode not working (wipers and washer fluid from the wand works fine)
  • Auto Headlights stopped working. Toggled the control, played around with lighting settings. No luck.
To reset things, I’ve done the two scroll-wheel reset, menu-based full reset, and a few voodoo dances.

what do you mean on the headlights? is it just always on or does it never turn on? Thanks

Got 2019.16.2, coming from 2019.12.1.1. I lost a bit of charge when I did this update a couple days ago, but it's been normal since. My old MCU1 feels like it's at least twice as fast now when interacting with the touch screen. AS seems to be a little bit better in curves on local roads. Haven't done a long highway drive yet.

IC has more spinning cars than I've seen in a little while. I've also noticed it seems to be showing other vehicles further away, both in front and behind me. But maybe it just seems like that because there's more spinning now, so I am noticing them more often.

In the data API endpoint, noticed three new items:
Under "gui_settings", "show_range_units"
Under "vehicle_config", "use_range_badging"
Under "vehicle_state", "sentry_mode_available"

I had no issues but I always do a 4 button wheel reboot followed by a full reboot after a short drive for every upgrade. Why both? Have no idea since the full should also take care of the former but creature of habit since I never had an issue.