Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now 16.3.1 is out. Probably fixing the bugs they missed in 16.3. I can't wait until 16.3.13. (/s).

This advanced setting will really change both the introduction of and solution to bugs stemming from this agile software development process.

Actually this seems to be a new "thing" with firmware releases. I've noticed they often come in pairs, like 2019.12.1 and 2019.12.2, which both appeared at almost the same time. It may be to handle slightly different hardware configurations, or perhaps they are doing some kind of A/B testing, but these "X.Y" and "X.Y.1" or "X.Y.1" and "X.Y.2" pairs seem to be common recently.

Any change in release notes? Like lane departure? That would be all we could expect as 3 has the same notes. And we don’t have it on our two ‘Advanced’ cars, so there’s still some ‘wave’ effect in place here...
No changes in the release notes.

Only 1 week since I got 16.2, so clearly the Advanced setting overrides what previously seemed like a minimum time between two updates. Likely still a short wave though, to both manage their risk of mishaps on the initial push, and lessen the upload load on their servers (save cloud bill). Guess we'll find out how long wave looking at how long it takes until the last people on Advanced get 16.3.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
No changes in the release notes.

Only 1 week since I got 16.2, so clearly the Advanced setting overrides what previously seemed like a minimum time between two updates. Likely still a short wave though, to both manage their risk of mishaps on the initial push, and lessen the upload load on their servers (save cloud bill). Guess we'll find out how long wave looking at how long it takes until the last people on Advanced get 16.3.
Also note that 16.3 might be meant only for certain regions. Probably for testing something or adjusting something that might only apply to certain regions or not validated for all regions, yet.

Also note that 16.3 might be meant only for certain regions. Probably for testing something or adjusting something that might only apply to certain regions or not validated for all regions, yet.
Since 16.3 has appeared in Europe and the US, and started last night, not sure what 'certain regions' we're talking about. I would lean toward a bug fix release, since it's overwriting .2.

Note a lot of US cars won't be recognized until this evening when people actually get a chance to install it (for TeslaFi).

16.3.1 looks like AUS/NZ only and 17 is China.

upload_2019-5-29_15-12-45.png

So playing around with 2019.16.2 on my S100D AP2/MCU1:

- MCU1 performance seems improved. Even compared to turning traffic off, it seems like they did some tweaking beyond fixing that bug.
- the zoomed display is pretty cool but there is a usability caveat:
- the “spinning/dancing cars” issue feels more problematic with the zoomed in screen. Now when driving around at slow speeds there’s gigantic white blobs spinning around that are much more attention grabbing than parking sensor indications
- unlike what @croman has seen, I’ve tried on highways and on local roads, trying to purposely drive into oncoming lanes or let go of the wheel and depart my lane around curves. I have never seen the new Model 3 specific lane departure warnings kick in. And we have a Model 3 so I know what I’m looking for. So maybe it’s geofenced or a feature flag based thing. The only thing I haven’t done is harass another driver by pretending to crash into someone else and I have zero plans to do so.... long story short, I’m not seeing these features on our S.

So playing around with 2019.16.2 on my S100D AP2/MCU1:

- MCU1 performance seems improved. Even compared to turning traffic off, it seems like they did some tweaking beyond fixing that bug.
- the zoomed display is pretty cool but there is a usability caveat:
- the “spinning/dancing cars” issue feels more problematic with the zoomed in screen. Now when driving around at slow speeds there’s gigantic white blobs spinning around that are much more attention grabbing than parking sensor indications
- unlike what @croman has seen, I’ve tried on highways and on local roads, trying to purposely drive into oncoming lanes or let go of the wheel and depart my lane around curves. I have never seen the new Model 3 specific lane departure warnings kick in. And we have a Model 3 so I know what I’m looking for. So maybe it’s geofenced or a feature flag based thing. The only thing I haven’t done is harass another driver by pretending to crash into someone else and I have zero plans to do so.... long story short, I’m not seeing these features on our S.
I don’t understand. The S and X don’t have the new LD features yet. Why the discussion? If the option switches aren’t there in Settings they are not there. And I have 16.2 on an X and a 3, also.

Are you saying the LD switches are there on your S?!

Reactions: StarLog
I don’t understand. The S and X don’t have the new LD features yet. Why the discussion? If the option switches aren’t there in Settings they are not there. And I have 16.2 on an X and a 3, also.

Are you saying the LD switches are there on your S?!
No I’m saying the last time I said the features didn’t exist on s/X a bunch of people replied to me and/or hit the disagree button saying that although it wasn’t in the UI, these features did kick in on their cars. Because of that, I did more careful testing today when I found opportunities to try it.... and it confirmed that at least for me, it behaves like Tesla said — not present on S/X, present on Model 3.

No I’m saying the last time I said the features didn’t exist on s/X a bunch of people replied to me and/or hit the disagree button saying that although it wasn’t in the UI, these features did kick in on their cars. Because of that, I did more careful testing today when I found opportunities to try it.... and it confirmed that at least for me, it behaves like Tesla said — not present on S/X, present on Model 3.
I'm guessing they experienced the 'take over immediately warning' you get if you disengage autosteer and then immediately change lanes across a line (very annoying.) If it does that to me all the time I cross lines without indicating without autosteer on it's going to be extremely annoying and dangerous even, rather than a safety feature.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I'm guessing they experienced the 'take over immediately warning' you get if you disengage autosteer and then immediately change lanes across a line (very annoying.) If it does that to me all the time I cross lines without indicating without autosteer on it's going to be extremely annoying and dangerous even, rather than a safety feature.
That was my first theory too but some folks insisted they knew what that “feature” was and this was different.

Of course without experiencing their experiences first hand I can’t say for sure what others are seeing. Maybe it’s geofenced or controlled by a mothership feature flag, all I can say with certainty is that my own Model S doesn’t behave differently on 2019.16.2 in terms of lane departure.