Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone seen this where the NoA lane confirmation require confirmation button keeps changing every so often to yes? I have to pull over, park and set it back to NO. Both the 3 and the S have had this since 2019.12.x and doesn't seem to be better on 2019.16.2

16.3.2 here as well. Sometimes strange proposals/advices for lane change i.e. lane to which I'm supposed to change will end in a few hundert meters; speed limit is same as actual limlit. I like the highway exit which it just does without any involvement of the driver and really straight forward.
BTW: wake up time for car before you start driving (after some time parked) has improved or is partially not there anymore since 16.2
Have you got a new version of the Maps ? (EU-2018.42-1729)

I got 2019.16.2 a few days ago and 2019.16.3 last night.

NoA is nowhere near ready here. Today it missed a ramp where it had plenty of time to make a lane change or suggest one. Even funnier was that it took another ramp earlier which was not even close to the correct route, but I let it go ahead since it was a test anyway. It also gave up NoA on one ramp ahead of merge. It took my home exit with an aggressive jolt, but as such it followed lane markings. The EU limitations to lane changes make autopilot to cancel as often as complete them. Logic to lane choices is a mystery (one step below mad max, whatever it is called), each time it wanted to go on leftmost lane right away, traffic or not.

But when it works, it is very impressive. Autopilot itself is the most confident version yet and automatic merges and ramp departures are cool. For now it just requires as much supervision as driving manually.

Consumption was much lower than usual, 146Wh/km 50km average on highway speeds, shortly even motorway. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this low. Improvements or new way to calculate?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Compton
NOA in Norway is a joke, driving for three hours now.
Most of times it won't signal on to off ramp or anything, just drive past just like it doesn't exists.
But on ramp from small road work sometimes, it's signals every time, but some of the times it won't merge into the highway but continues on that file which leads of the highway again. And the nagging is really constantly, on the verge to be easier to just drive yourself.
And also, won't select correct lane itself, was continuing in the farthest left lane when my off ramp was 4 lanes to the right. But GPS is showing correctly, like the car doesn't understand itself.

Tried NOA for the first drive in Norway yesterday on 16.3. Here's a summary:

- Autopilot steering part itself is very good. It steers both smoothly and confident, even if lane markings are bad.

- Autopilot ACC part is extremely nervous. It's ok on intercity highway roads with little traffic. But when traffic or in urban areas of the highways it drives extremely jerky. At worst I had to override it with throttle 5-7 times in just 1 km. Get used to leaving chewing marks on the dashboard.

- Sometimes it picks speedlimit from a different road above/below and slows down hard. Other times it just slows down for no reason.

- The EU nerfing of max sideways acceleration doesn't seem to impact autopilot too much. It can still steer pretty curvy roads.

- Merging almost always causes it to yell "take over now" in traffic. At best it's indecisive and unnatural.

- Merging without traffic causes some abrupt steering left/right like it doesn't quite know where to go.

- Forks seems to mostly pick the left passing lane or just a random lane, even with no cars in front. It's pretty much luck where it ends up.

- On highway it's very good at suggesting change to the passing lane upon approaching a slower car. It suggests changing early so even with a 40/50 km/h delta speed difference to a truck, it is able to change without slowing down. It can see the car several hundred meters ahead. (mad max mode)

- It also changes back from the passing lane to the right lane when there are no cars left to pass. It waits a bit long for my taste though (20-30 seconds)

- Nags are at most 15 seconds apart. Doesn't bother me too much, got my hand on the wheel anyway and I know how to torque it and rest at the same time.

- It's good at notifying when NOA is enabled and when you approach an unsupported road such as a tunnel, and makes a sound for each transition to/from NOA.

- Not all off ramps are supported. It seems to notify that too pretty well. Those supported seem to work pretty nice, although it steers kinda hard and close to the edge of the road, so I hold the wheel tight to make sure it doesn't hit the curb.

- Overall NOA takes some practice to use well, and it's definitely not self-driving yet. Need to pay good attention at all times. If you use it to relax you will soon learn what kind of road to use it on. Some roads will just increase the stresslevel.

Tried NOA for the first drive in Norway yesterday on 16.3. Here's a summary:

- Autopilot steering part itself is very good. It steers both smoothly and confident, even if lane markings are bad.

- Autopilot ACC part is extremely nervous. It's ok on intercity highway roads with little traffic. But when traffic or in urban areas of the highways it drives extremely jerky. At worst I had to override it with throttle 5-7 times in just 1 km. Get used to leaving chewing marks on the dashboard.

- Sometimes it picks speedlimit from a different road above/below and slows down hard. Other times it just slows down for no reason.

- The EU nerfing of max sideways acceleration doesn't seem to impact autopilot too much. It can still steer pretty curvy roads.

- Merging almost always causes it to yell "take over now" in traffic. At best it's indecisive and unnatural.

- Merging without traffic causes some abrupt steering left/right like it doesn't quite know where to go.

- Forks seems to mostly pick the left passing lane or just a random lane, even with no cars in front. It's pretty much luck where it ends up.

- On highway it's very good at suggesting change to the passing lane upon approaching a slower car. It suggests changing early so even with a 40/50 km/h delta speed difference to a truck, it is able to change without slowing down. It can see the car several hundred meters ahead. (mad max mode)

- It also changes back from the passing lane to the right lane when there are no cars left to pass. It waits a bit long for my taste though (20-30 seconds)

- Nags are at most 15 seconds apart. Doesn't bother me too much, got my hand on the wheel anyway and I know how to torque it and rest at the same time.

- It's good at notifying when NOA is enabled and when you approach an unsupported road such as a tunnel, and makes a sound for each transition to/from NOA.

- Not all off ramps are supported. It seems to notify that too pretty well. Those supported seem to work pretty nice, although it steers kinda hard and close to the edge of the road, so I hold the wheel tight to make sure it doesn't hit the curb.

- Overall NOA takes some practice to use well, and it's definitely not self-driving yet. Need to pay good attention at all times. If you use it to relax you will soon learn what kind of road to use it on. Some roads will just increase the stresslevel.
This is pretty close to my own experience here in Switzerland.

I guess it will get better now that a lot of Guinea Pigs (i.e., us...) will be driving with NoA everywhere in Europe.

I guess it will get better now that a lot of Guinea Pigs (i.e., us...) will be driving with NoA everywhere in Europe.

If that were true, it would have also gotten better in the US over all these months. But I experience (in the US) exactly the same issues that @ChrML describes. It has improved somewhat since the early NoA releases but not substantially. It's still a gimmick that usually increases rather than reduces stress. TACC has gotten substantially worse (whether NoA is enabled or not) in the past 6 months.

Couple of things I've noticed recently. I was previously on 12.1.2.

On 16.2 forward collision warning seems more sensitive. I checked my setting, thinking maybe it changed, but it's still at medium. Today I got four warnings on a single 30 minute drive. They were probably warranted, so I don't think I'd change it to late. But it seems medium is more sensitive.

On a highway drive, I noticed the IC stopped displaying a lane to my right because of large construction cones. When the cones were gone, the lane appeared again. Not sure if that has happened before and I just didn't notice, but it was new to me.
upload_2019-6-1_16-14-15.png

Reactions: PrGrPa
It does. But I have to say it’s so light it’s almost imperceptible. I have to be focusing to notice it. Not that helpful honestly in this form.

I had a mobile ranger stop by earlier this week for a handle issue and complained how unperceivable the vibration is on my car for lane departure. He took it for a drive and said yup, that is how all the new MS's are, and there is no adjustment (I mentioned I had a loaner 2015 90D and it was much more noticeable so maybe it is a HW1 vs 2 difference?).

Hoping that when LD comes for the MS, they will improve the vibration so you don't think your car has gone HAL 9000 on you...

Couple of things I've noticed recently. I was previously on 12.1.2.

On 16.2 forward collision warning seems more sensitive. I checked my setting, thinking maybe it changed, but it's still at medium. Today I got four warnings on a single 30 minute drive. They were probably warranted, so I don't think I'd change it to late. But it seems medium is more sensitive.

On a highway drive, I noticed the IC stopped displaying a lane to my right because of large construction cones. When the cones were gone, the lane appeared again. Not sure if that has happened before and I just didn't notice, but it was new to me.
View attachment 414496

I think they went TOO far on the 'I'm taking action' front - my car brakes hard even with it set on LATE. It will trip for a car 1/4 block away turning across my path and only doing 35MPH. It is crazy.

I think they have over reacted to the 'car slammed into stationary vehicle' news reports and adjusted it up 1000%. Now I am more worried about getting rear-ended with how it is working. Wish their programmers would find a happy median...

I think they went TOO far on the 'I'm taking action' front - my car brakes hard even with it set on LATE. It will trip for a car 1/4 block away turning across my path and only doing 35MPH. It is crazy.
Note, the collision warning setting has zero effect on either Automatic Emergency Braking (which isn't what you're describing) nor the behaviour of autopilot TACC/Autosteer (which is what you're complaining about.)

Note, the collision warning setting has zero effect on either Automatic Emergency Braking (which isn't what you're describing) nor the behaviour of autopilot TACC/Autosteer (which is what you're complaining about.)

So it only effects the warning 'chime'? Thanks for that info. I missed that when I read the manual. I thought that setting also changed how it braked...

Last edited: