Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting to add this software is terrible. AP is not even usable for me. I keep accidentally engaging it and quickly remembering how bad it is.
And if you don't want to use it, you can turn it off.... so, do you want to use it? Or not? I can't even tell from your post. As was mentioned, if you have a distinct problem, perhaps Tesla can fix it.

But if you really think AP is unusable, you can disable it so you won't have the inconvenience of having it accidentally engaged.

2019.12.2 seems to have broken my Auto Lane Change.
As you can see from the error message it says "Auto Lane Change Inhibited. Please unlatch turn indicator".
I have a March 2016 Model X 75D with 2.0 hardware. I am in New Zealand and none of the restrictions such as have been enabled in Europe were notified or should apply. Anyone else seen this?
View attachment 410833

Same thing happening here to me in Belgium on the highway. Used to work before the update.

And if you don't want to use it, you can turn it off.... so, do you want to use it? Or not? I can't even tell from your post. As was mentioned, if you have a distinct problem, perhaps Tesla can fix it.

But if you really think AP is unusable, you can disable it so you won't have the inconvenience of having it accidentally engaged.

This is a terrible way to "solve" the problem, whatever the problem is (the OP didn't really say what was wrong). Quite a lot of us paid a heap of money for this car based at least in part on its ADAS capabilities. When Tesla breaks it, telling us to just disable it is not really addressing the issue. That said, it would have been more helpful for the OP to describe what the issues were.

Reactions: arubinst and Jjdsyd
Same thing happening here to me in Belgium on the highway. Used to work before the update.

It was really hard to get the ALC to work with 12.2. I only succeeded a few times. I have since been upgraded to 2019.16.3.1 which has made the ALC work much better, but it does require a very quick tap for the turn indicator. The update also turned off the 15 sec nags and back to 45 sec which is fine.

Hi all, I just gave the following feedback to Tesla at [email protected]

====
Since 2019.16.x the lance change assist aborts if it cannot change lanes within 5 seconds due to Tesla conforming to UN/ECE R79 which states that a driving assist feature should not blink very long.

This makes the Navigate on Autopilot feature in combination with Lane Change Confirmations/Assist pretty useless on (Dutch) highways with moderate/regular traffic.

It would be better is you could PULL the Autopilot stalk once to confirm the lane change. This way, after confirmation, Autopilot should NOT use the blinker but use its 360 view to wait for the appropriate moment to change lanes and when there is a gap to then blink and move within 5 seconds.

On the Model 3 confirmation could be done by tapping the right stalk once, set the car in D which it already is.
====

It you think this is a good idea I would please suggest that you send the same feedback to Tesla at [email protected] and maybe also your local SeC to have them forward this feature suggestion.

Reactions: CK_Stuggi and OPRCE
Given how much everyone has been complaining about 2019.16, I feel like I'm lucky to be part of the 10% that still has 2019.12

I think most of the complaints are coming from non-US locales. And generally originate from some pretty absurd regulations for Europe passed by the UN. My experience with 2019.16 has been an improvement over .12 so far. Autopilot varies between working well and completely broken on a day to day basis, but in the same way as .12 for me(frequent “red hands” and dumping me out of all cruise control, wobbling in the lane, randomly slowing down in the middle of the freeway). I think that last bit is limited to certain cars, though.

I am in MI. Driving down the highway it slows down aggressively and randomly and I have to push accelerator. This is with nothing around me or going on. On cornering on highway it slows way down. On 2 lane highways it weaves back and forth at every driveway. Pretty aggressively to make you sick and/or scared. Getting off the highway with NAP it overshot the turn and put me onto the median like i was pulling over. I took over quickly so I don't know if it would have just driven me off the road.

I can still use it in the city if I'm not on the outside lane. I can still use on a 3 lane highway if I stay in the middle and use pedal to keep speed when it tries slowing down for no reason.

It was perfect before this update.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I am in MI. Driving down the highway it slows down aggressively and randomly and I have to push accelerator. This is with nothing around me or going on. On cornering on highway it slows way down. On 2 lane highways it weaves back and forth at every driveway. Pretty aggressively to make you sick and/or scared. Getting off the highway with NAP it overshot the turn and put me onto the median like i was pulling over. I took over quickly so I don't know if it would have just driven me off the road.

I can still use it in the city if I'm not on the outside lane. I can still use on a 3 lane highway if I stay in the middle and use pedal to keep speed when it tries slowing down for no reason.

It was perfect before this update.

I have the same behavior, in addition to randomly disengaging, but have had that same behavior since 2019.12.1. 2019.8.5 worked perfectly. Curiously, Autopilot now works much better(basically flawless) for me on surface streets than on the freeway.

Hi all, I just gave the following feedback to Tesla at [email protected]

====
Since 2019.16.x the lance change assist aborts if it cannot change lanes within 5 seconds due to Tesla conforming to UN/ECE R79 which states that a driving assist feature should not blink very long.

This makes the Navigate on Autopilot feature in combination with Lane Change Confirmations/Assist pretty useless on (Dutch) highways with moderate/regular traffic.

It would be better is you could PULL the Autopilot stalk once to confirm the lane change. This way, after confirmation, Autopilot should NOT use the blinker but use its 360 view to wait for the appropriate moment to change lanes and when there is a gap to then blink and move within 5 seconds.

On the Model 3 confirmation could be done by tapping the right stalk once, set the car in D which it already is.
====

It you think this is a good idea I would please suggest that you send the same feedback to Tesla at [email protected] and maybe also your local SeC to have them forward this feature suggestion.

Great solution. I think that, to achieve automatic lane changes (i.e. without confirmation from the driver) this "wait for a gap before blinking" logic will be essential. So I imagine Tesla will be working on this already (unless they have a better plan, which is also possible).

Since getting 16.2 at random intervals during the bright sunny days my headlights come on and stay on. While driving, I turn them off on the screen but when turned back to "auto" they come back on. Has happened several times. They go off when I park the car. 1917 MS.

Since getting 16.2 at random intervals during the bright sunny days my headlights come on and stay on. While driving, I turn them off on the screen but when turned back to "auto" they come back on. Has happened several times. They go off when I park the car. 1917 MS.

I’ve noticed this too. It does go away after a few minutes but still find it annoying when you see high beams go up automatically in broad daylight. Another nuisance that just started after this update is the ultrasonics going off when I start the car and reverse it. Going to SC in a couple of days to get it checked out but I suspect that this is a software issue.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd
Great solution. I think that, to achieve automatic lane changes (i.e. without confirmation from the driver) this "wait for a gap before blinking" logic will be essential. So I imagine Tesla will be working on this already (unless they have a better plan, which is also possible).
This is not something they are working on.. This is the way NoA has been working in the US for the last 2 months. They have an option there to turn off confirmations and let the car figure out ALC by itself.

This is not something they are working on.. This is the way NoA has been working in the US for the last 2 months. They have an option there to turn off confirmations and let the car figure out ALC by itself.
The US features are more advanced, but we aren't allowed to use the US logic here (Europe etc) because the US doesn't have the 'abandon lane change if you don't start within 5 seconds" law. Dealing with this is new for Tesla. That's the bit I imagine they're still working on. But I'm just an incredibly patient fanboy! Good things will come.

Reactions: boaterva
On the ‘turn it off’ question, the poster was complaining about AP being useless. He didn’t seem to want to even improve it. I was just reminding him that it was able to be disabled so he wouldn’t inadvertently enable it. Which was his complaint. :)

——-

On MCU 1 cars, anyone seeing dashcam being disabled? I have the gray x icon all the time, USB in or not, no matter what I do. Formatted a dozen times, works perfectly (same USB) in our 3. Doesn’t do anything but blink for a few seconds (the USB) in our MCU 1 X. As far as I know, AP2.5 cars should have all dashcam/Sentry functionality, no?

Never heard of the dashcam icon being up when the USB is out?!

Trying new wifi connect USB Sentry app and finally figured out that it was 16.2 in the MCU 1 car probably. As the plain USB worked before and fails now. And the new ones work in the MCU 2 car. (Wonder if this is part of 16.3.2 fixes?!)

Last edited:
On the ‘turn it off’ question, the poster was complaining about AP being useless. He didn’t seem to want to even improve it. I was just reminding him that it was able to be disabled so he wouldn’t inadvertently enable it. Which was his complaint. :)

——-

On MCU 1 cars, anyone seeing dashcam being disabled? I have the gray x icon all the time, USB in or not, no matter what I do. Formatted a dozen times, works perfectly (same USB) in our 3. Doesn’t do anything but blink for a few seconds (the USB) in our MCU 1 X. As far as I know, AP2.5 cars should have all dashcam/Sentry functionality, no?

Never heard of the dashcam icon being up when the USB is out?!

Trying new wifi connect USB Sentry app and finally figured out that it was 16.2 in the MCU 1 car probably. As the plain USB worked before and fails now. And the new ones work in the MCU 2 car. (Wonder if this is part of 16.3.2 fixes?!)

On my AP2.5 X, my dash cam no longer works with 16.2. I’ve reformatted , rebooted, etc and I still get the grey x icon all the time