Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems the Model 3 crew are seeing a lot of forum activity since 20.4.2 update, mostly issues, I personally haven't seen anything particularly on my Model S but will be out doing a full AP test today and posting it on my channel DidgieTalks.

Anyone else seeing anything major resulting from 20.4.2?

I got 2019.20.2.1 a couple of days ago, there seem to be some minor radio improvements.
I know I will jinx it by saying this, but the Dolby Surround setting has stayed on after a few scroll-wheel reboots and the car being turned on and off for a couple of days.
Plus, the favorites for Slacker are now displayed in the correct order (previously they would only show in order in "full-screen" media player, but would be ordered in some other seemingly-random-but-not-changing way in "half-screen" media player.

AP1 so there shouldn't be any changes but I swear it seems "drunker" than usual. Could have just been some humidity on the camera lens, I don't know.

I only had the "Dog Mode Improvements" on my release notes, no mention of the improved auto-brightness.

No warnings about AP lane change when using that, either.

Has anyone updated to 20.4.2 with MCU1 and gotten Beach Buggy?
No Beach Buggy here.

I did notice the App launcher now acts differently. Prior version simply switched to a black background bar with only icons (no text). Now a new white background bar opens just above the bottom bar, and each icon has descriptive text. Much better for those of us old guys with “well-used” eyes.

• Informative
Reactions: conman
Just been out on an AP test, country lanes, duel carriageways, motorways NoAP etc. and it actually handled things well, maybe even slightly better than in a couple of the previous releases but this could of course be situational. I'll do some more testing and wrap it all up in a video.

Odd, I can auto lane change on both local roads (2 or 3 lanes each way) and California highways.

old |v2019.20.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.20.2.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
Always makes me wonder why different cars react differently with same same hardware and firmware. I'm also AP2 MCU1 2019.2.1. auto lane change works fine on highway on 4 lane local roads car will change from left lane to right but not right to left. Worked fine previously.

FYI: Teslafi’s Software Tracker for 2019.20.4.2 appears to be listing a lot of Model 3’s as AP2 instead of AP2.5/3. If you are a follower of this kind of data please be aware that the data around this release will be misleading until they fix it. I have sent them a notice around this issue.

Reactions: chillaban
A local state hwy has been a good refining test. 2 lanes each way. Limited access. When there is a long section with k-rails in the median, I can go any speed and auto lane change works. When the k-rails disappear I am restricted to +5 mph and no manually triggered auto lane change. Clearly a map data thing. Pretty sure my car is not aware of k-rails : )

20.2.1 HW 2.0 MCU1 42psi, glove box full

• Funny
Reactions: BigMskiman
A local state hwy has been a good refining test. 2 lanes each way. Limited access. When there is a long section with k-rails in the median, I can go any speed and auto lane change works. When the k-rails disappear I am restricted to +5 mph and no manually triggered auto lane change. Clearly a map data thing. Pretty sure my car is not aware of k-rails : )
Concur with basically no change with AP/NOA. I do a fairly comprehensive NOA test on a regular basis. I just did another long drive with 2019.20.4.2 and didn't notice any substantial differences. I'll post the updated chart on Sunday night.

I have a ‘13 P85+ - on 20.2.1 I no longer have the colored traffic data lines showing on MCU1. I’ve rebooted several times, tried turning traffic on and off and still nothing.

Another thing is the smaller driver’s side screen is off and reboots each time I enter the car. It comes up quickly but never did that before.

I have a ‘13 P85+ - on 20.2.1 I no longer have the colored traffic data lines showing on MCU1. I’ve rebooted several times, tried turning traffic on and off and still nothing.
A while back they changed the traffic display so that it doesn't show green lines for normal speed traffic. It only shows orange and red lines in the slow spots. Any chance this is what you've noticed? Try zooming into a known high traffic spot?

Ok, I have run a few AP tests now, over 100 miles and although I can't show any scientific data comparisons, it just seems to me that AP is behaving better (e.g. smoother turns, less steering movement on lane keep, more confident NoAP, better rendering of other cars in traffic with less dancing around). Anyone else getting that sense, or is it just me??

#Enginerd - I'm getting cars overtaking on the inside more lately and also failing to pass cars on the inside if they are close to the line, my Tesla will matche speed and I have to press the accelerator to pass. Are you seeing that too?

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
A while back they changed the traffic display so that it doesn't show green lines for normal speed traffic. It only shows orange and red lines in the slow spots. Any chance this is what you've noticed? Try zooming into a known high traffic spot?

Yes I am aware of the changes. I just drove the car and the traffic came back on. Weird but at least it’s working.

Reactions: Enginerd
#Enginerd - I'm getting cars overtaking on the inside more lately and also failing to pass cars on the inside if they are close to the line, my Tesla will matche speed and I have to press the accelerator to pass. Are you seeing that too?
I'm having people pass on the inside when NOA doesn't offer to change to the slow lane after passing. But it isn't happening any more frequently with 2019.20.4.2 than it did with 2019.16.2 ... still averaging about 6% of the time. I would think the logic would include (1) am I projected to pass the next slow car in the next X seconds, and (2) at what speed is the car behind me wanting to drive? But neither of those seem to be in charge in that 6% of the time when NOA doesn't offer.

I've heard of the "match speed" behavior, but haven't seen it myself. I've passed plenty of semi trucks with only a small differential, and believe me, they are plenty close.