Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a quick video of a few things in AP for 2019.20.4.2 (right before 2019.24 hit the wild :(). I really feel like AP has improved lately, can't quite put my finger on it and certainly don't have Enginerd's level of data but everything seems smoother and more confident (or is it just me?).

DidgieTalks

Thanks Enginerd, I should have been more specific, inside overtaking is happening on NoAp to me too.

I am getting quite a few examples of failure to overtake on AP, so maybe I have an issue.

No that's common ... NoA, in the UK , is nowhere near ready for the primetime - in my opinion. Refusing to undertake, timeout indicators after 5 seconds, many many aborted lane changes, jumpiness and general spookiness when cars approach their lane lines (there's poor lane discipline in general in the UK, so this happens a LOT!)... all adds up to a general stress level when driving with NoA activated that just isn't worth it most of the time. It's almost like you have to learn to "drive NoA", as well as just "drive" - knowing how it'll freak out is very important

I lost my secret decoder ring. What is MCU1/2? How does one tell which one has?

The Media Control Unit is the big screen where you control your music, maps, etc. Generally, we're talking about the computer to run it, not specifically the screen though. There were a few revisions to MCU1, but they were all built from the Tegra processor, which is very outdated now, and people with them (like me) don't get to play some of the new games and things. MCU2 came about in about March of 2018 and has an Intel processor. They're MUCH faster, and those guys probably aren't commenting because they're off playing Beach Buggy.

There's supposed to be an update to allow for a replacement of MCU1 with MCU2 computers, but there's no sign of it so far, and people are increasingly losing hope.

Short of games, and speed when you are initially planning a route, there's very little difference between them day to day. I'd pay for the upgrade because I'm a nerd and I want the faster one. There's little to functionally mean people need an upgrade.

Having twice said that MCU1 is fine, I do need to point out that eventually, the memory which is permanently soldered on the computer will wear out and fail. That happens MUCH faster on MCU1 than MCU2. Also, some people (including me) see music that skips on the older MCU computers in some (lots) of software revisions. This second issue (speed generally to be honest) can be largely resolved by deleting old addresses out of the GPS history.

• Informative
Reactions: Queeg500
The Media Control Unit is the big screen where you control your music, maps, etc. Generally, we're talking about the computer to run it, not specifically the screen though. There were a few revisions to MCU1, but they were all built from the Tegra processor, which is very outdated now, and people with them (like me) don't get to play some of the new games and things. MCU2 came about in about March of 2018 and has an Intel processor. They're MUCH faster, and those guys probably aren't commenting because they're off playing Beach Buggy.

There's supposed to be an update to allow for a replacement of MCU1 with MCU2 computers, but there's no sign of it so far, and people are increasingly losing hope.

Short of games, and speed when you are initially planning a route, there's very little difference between them day to day. I'd pay for the upgrade because I'm a nerd and I want the faster one. There's little to functionally mean people need an upgrade.

Having twice said that MCU1 is fine, I do need to point out that eventually, the memory which is permanently soldered on the computer will wear out and fail. That happens MUCH faster on MCU1 than MCU2. Also, some people (including me) see music that skips on the older MCU computers in some (lots) of software revisions. This second issue (speed generally to be honest) can be largely resolved by deleting old addresses out of the GPS history.

The phenomenon of wearing out memory - is that due to the many updates the CPU insists upon writing?

2019.4.2 seems to have fixed a lot of the lane change aborting behaviors for me compared to 2019.2.1 on AP2.0.

This is a super solid release for Autopilot — nothing but praise. It’s handling city and highway roads marvelously, reacting smoothly to stopped cars from afar.

Sure looks like the kind of groundwork necessary for city NoA.

I have noticed that compared to .2.1, .4.2 seems to show new lane lines a lot more quickly after making a turn. Not sure if it’s a neural net change or just a display threshold change.

I lost my secret decoder ring. What is MCU1/2? How does one tell which one has?
The shift from the MCU1 to MCU2 computer happened in March 2018. Cars built before that have MCU1, after that MCU2. If your car was built in March, it may have either one...

Edit - corrected date based n @ucmndd 's post below.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: obie_fl and ucmndd