Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol that article was complete, to use a fitting ancient word, balderdash. The Advanced switch is (supposed) to get our normal releases more quickly. That’s what Elon promised us. It has nothing to do with Early Access or FSD.

Anyone in early access will be notified and has their car added to it by VIN. You get release notes by email.

Or so I’m told. Seriously. I’ve never gotten early access firmware even though I got something last year saying I was in early access. :D

New company line is that that switch will work even better for those who purchased FSD at full price(actual EAP invites not in the cards anymore). That they’ll be at the front of the line for every new release. Of course, I’m in that group and am still on 16.2, despite my switching on Advanced and various flavors of 16.3 being available in my region to my car spec, so....

• Love
Reactions: Silver Rocket
New company line is that that switch will work even better for those who purchased FSD at full price(actual EAP invites not in the cards anymore). That they’ll be at the front of the line for every new release. Of course, I’m in that group and am still on 16.2, despite my switching on Advanced and various flavors of 16.3 being available in my region to my car spec, so....
We shall see. And yeah, my X is still on 16.2, same boat. :D

I don’t understand the new EA program. I assume they will tell you if they still do you or do not give you the choice, like with the ‘real’ program. Not exactly wanting cars with FSD in EA automatically just because I bought FSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdreamer
Not bullshit. This is just an exclusively Early Access Program release.
Well what’s funny is that there are 26 cars on TeslaFi with this software already.

I don’t think we’ve seen so many ‘violators’ of the terms ever. Maybe one or two. Dozens?

I’m not sure this is going strictly to EA program people. At least not the classic EA people who originally got emails saying ‘we are putting your car XXXX in the EA program’ when they were signed up.

There really may be something different going on here, on purpose or by mistake. Because if I’m going to get EA software, I want to know about it.

Doesn’t matter so much for a separate feature like Advanced Summon but If it’s AP related, people need to be able to make a choice.

Anyone want to ‘fess up to getting it on a car that isn’t in classic EA?

Reactions: croman
068EE80D-B040-421A-A050-27E09F94FC75.jpeg

This is part of the early access. Received the email yesterday. Update hasn’t pushed yet to my car. Usually will get notification by email with release notes on the test built before update hits my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those who bought FSD early. Car is on Wi-Fi, plugged in and charging >50%, updates are set to advanced. No 2919.20 yet. 2018 S with MCU2 and ap 2.5

So is it bullshit?

Something is wrong if you are still on a 2018 release. You should be on one of the following 2019.16.2, 2019.15.11 or 2019.16.3

Note: Probably not a concern if still on 2019.12.x, but if older try to trigger a software download by filing a service request.

This is part of the early access.
I have really mixed feelings about this. One one hand I really want to know what features are coming. On the other, I'd like to believe that people who signed up for Early Access are honoring their confidentiality agreement. On the other, I'd like the EA program to continue so that the Tesla mothership gets good real-world feedback on new features before wide release. Wait... that's a lot of hands.:eek:

@boaterva , I'm with you. Either this is a different type of release, or we have one of the most well-documented violations of the EA agreement to date.

Something is wrong if you are still on a 2018 release. You should be on one of the following 2019.16.2, 2019.15.11 or 2019.16.3

Note: Probably not a concern if still on 2019.12.x, but if older try to trigger a software download by filing a service request.
The 2018 was a reference to his car build year.

Also please do not file service requests for software updates unless it's clearly stuck, meaning TeslaFi shows 99+% of similar cars on a significantly newer update. 2018.x builds are clearly a problem but for example 2019.8.5 is still in active use out there. Updates are intended to go in waves so it's perfectly fine that you are occasionally in the last 5% to get an update. And filing BS service requests only annoys other Tesla drivers with real problems.

Remember that the second number of the version is the week number it was originally released by the developers. This means the 2019.20 builds out there have not even had a month of internal testing. You may be very happy not to be driving that yet.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Software version 2019.20.1 9973c22 was just detected on a Tesla Model X 100D with Autopilot 2.5 hardware in California United States. The highest previous version was 2019.20.0.1 12619b8. You were alerted per your settings on TeslaFi.com.

Thoughts? This looks like a Wider release version number than 2019.20.0.1.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The version numbers themselves have no implication on distribution, just the development process. Wide distribution happens to a version that turns out to be sufficiently stable and bug free. Keep in mind that the previous main versions have been 8.5, 12.1.2, 16.2 and 16.3.2.

In general, Tesla version numbers are following Linux Kernel scheme (plus the year at the beginning): year.major.minor.

Major: Odd numbers are development versions, even numbers are release versions. Wide releases occurs every 4 weeks usually.
Minor: Bug fixes to the major version.

There are exceptions (as in the Linux Kernel too) where an odd number is released massively (2018.21 and 2018.39 comes to my mind now).

But usually you shouldn't expect an odd version to be released to everybody.

I don’t consider a short lived blog post that was removed a “promise” either. That could be an overzealous social media intern’s mistake. If it isn’t in your purchase order, it isn’t promised.

Haha, no.

Software 2019.20.1 9973c22 is now being widely released in mainland China, which brings QQ Music service and NoA.

I see that 20.1 is rolling out to non-Model 3s too, in USA. So this is the real litmus test to see if they will deliver updates faster to FSD peeps .