Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Switzerland I tried 4.2 and 4.3 every which way, in AP, TACC and manual driving, with indicator into car in next lane and it never made a peep, although the line on IC and the icon of car in BS both turned red.

Only thing I did not try is *not* indicating while steering into the lane of another car a bit ... will have to detect a suspect who looks to have slightly strong nerves for this test ;)

PS: Just tried it without indicators in TACC and manual ... no BSW at all, visual or audible, so I don't know what they are doing differently up in Norway, unless it is someone with a M3 and early access software?

A further note regarding the AP indicator memory function on MS: on 2-lane country roads it will overtake if clear of opposing traffic for 200m up ahead but cancel the signal and move back to own lane if seeing approaching vehicles, or just immediately cancel the signal without moving out if opposing vehicles are very close or if seeing a solid white centre-line. Another nice surprise!

Detection of bicycles seems improved but still does not deviate around them. For crossing traffic appears to brake a little less suddenly. Visualisation of passing cars in IC is definitely smoother.

I have the feeling with WA-cam now more active AP should pretty well stop for a pedestrian moving on zebra-crossing in town.

On my standard countryside test-stretch today 4.3 performed steering and braking much like 4.2 but corrected itself to the wrong side of the road on the 110° bend at 30kph and again on another spot with no centre-line. i.e. the steering is "seeking" more actively and makes pretty sharp corrections which sometimes go the wrong way. But for normal curves and markings on stretches with 80kph limit it is no longer the hair-raising experience of scraping around most corners far too fast.

Finally, I think AP is now watching for blinkers on other vehicles or at least accurately predicting their paths, as I have today caught 4.3 giving way on two occasions before the other car was within 0.5m of reaching the lane line between us, once on a merging motorway slip-road and also in ordinary motorway traffic cutting in from the right. Another goodly omen for NoAP, methinks.

In summary, I have been surprised [in the good way] to discover 2019.4.3 contains much more than I was expecting!
Hm, thanks for the details. I was of the opinion that what we had asked for (and who knows what we got!) was an audible indicator with the red lines were visible. I thought they were only 'there' when you started to change lanes. I thought that only happened when the turn signal was on... so, that is when you would hear any beeps, only with the turn signal and the red 'obstruction' lines.

I could be 100% wrong, and I guess the documentation for 2019.4.x/5.x doesn't help as to what we really got. Or it's just broken because Tesla doesn't/can't/lets us test everything. :D

If we ever get either of these on our cars, I'll test myself....

Hm, thanks for the details. I was of the opinion that what we had asked for (and who knows what we got!) was an audible indicator with the red lines were visible. I thought they were only 'there' when you started to change lanes. I thought that only happened when the turn signal was on... so, that is when you would hear any beeps, only with the turn signal and the red 'obstruction' lines.

I could be 100% wrong, and I guess the documentation for 2019.4.x/5.x doesn't help as to what we really got. Or it's just broken because Tesla doesn't/can't/lets us test everything. :D

If we ever get either of these on our cars, I'll test myself....

Yes, that makes sense, although it should also give the same warnings even if no indicators are used in TACC or manual driving.

And, closely related, it should give the same audible warning for LKA, if drifting out of lane at speed without indicator, as the current vibration through wheel is practically useless for us sound sleepers.

I’m not taking sides in this, but I am amused that a forum of people who believe AI can decipher California construction zone lane lines but also believe AI can’t turn the word “dot” into a dot.

None of us doubt they can decipher at into @
But at the least don't make it easy on them... I don't think he thought he posted it at 128 but encryption - but how he posted it will stop anything that cannot parse the ats dots and spaces.

Not sure about California construction, but I AutoPilot thru Michigan Construction Quite Often & I gotta tell ya it works quite impressively. I also like to push it by purposefully choosing the Right Lane on non-highway situations to see if it can decipher a salty road from a Snow riddled Curb that it needs to determine as the right side of my lane, again I'm continually impressed... Did have some pretty good fails in my recent trips to Windor however. Different Poorly marked roads each time, I'll try them again next week to see if it "adapts" or "learns"

Some with 4.3 in UK are reporting that the BSW-chime works when in TACC or manual driving you indicate and then steer into the other lane dangerously close to the red vehicle.

Have not been able to replicate it, possibly due to loving my paintwork too much ...

Hi all, I have replicated this (in the UK). I was in AP and I indicated to overtake, but there was a car showing red in the overtaking lane which was going about the same speed as I was. I pulled the car a little into that lane, not enough to deactivate AP, and the chime went off.

I guess this kind of thing is always going to be difficult to replicate as it is a safety mechanism....we wouldn’t test our airbags to see if they are working?! So I can vouch for the fact the chime does work, when it needs to.

One thing I noticed on 4.2 is my auto wipers now work like crap. They worked fine before that, and i wondered what everyone had been complaining about. Now unless it's a full downpour I need to turn my wipers on manually to get them to clear the windshield.

I turned off AutoWiper Beta for the same reason, they got worse...
Good news with AutoWiper Beta Off they work in the old Fashioned Timed Mode.

Hi all, I have replicated this (in the UK). I was in AP and I indicated to overtake, but there was a car showing red in the overtaking lane which was going about the same speed as I was. I pulled the car a little into that lane, not enough to deactivate AP, and the chime went off.

I guess this kind of thing is always going to be difficult to replicate as it is a safety mechanism....we wouldn’t test our airbags to see if they are working?! So I can vouch for the fact the chime does work, when it needs to.
Thanks! This is exactly how I’d like the chime to work. Thanks Tesla too!

I don't really care about Elon's tweets about car production numbers but I do care when he tweets "coming next week" and what he really means is "Maybe 3 cars - 6 definitely will get it next week" smh smh smh

Better get used to it. Model 3 is the new "baby" for Tesla, and they will mainly cater to their owners while S and X will be sort of forgotten.