Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With ‘Energy Savings’ set to on and ‘Always Connected’ set to off, are software updates slower to show up on the car?

I just recently dialed in those settings in an attempt to slow my phantom drain of 7-8 miles per day.

I’m also wondering if a notification of an update could show up on the phone app sooner than it might on the car, particularly if if the car is in a deep sleep mode?
I get the feeling it doesn't matter. Once the car is queued for an update, it looks like it grabs it next time its on wifi.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ken7
Where can I see which features are added in a certain version. Will Sentry Mode, Dog Mode, Blind Spot monitor, etc. work on a Model S with HW 1?

Expect Dog mode to come to AP1 (and pre-AP) cars with the next firmware update.

Sentry mode won't - you don't have the hardware to make it possible, and even AP2 cars may not get it.

You already have a version of blind spot monitoring, and won't be getting the one that shows images of the cars - again, need the cameras and processors.

I’m also wondering if a notification of an update could show up on the phone app sooner than it might on the car, particularly if if the car is in a deep sleep mode?

The car triggers the update notice on your phone, so no you aren't going to get the notice on your phone before you can see it in your car. (The update has to be downloaded, unpacked, and verified before you get the notice that it is available to install.)

• Helpful
Reactions: OPRCE and Ken7
Sorry if this was mentioned before, is there a way to force an update? I am still on 2018.36.1 for some reason. The LTE connection is fine.
Got recently a message on the MCU that I am running old version of the maps and that they can only be updated via wifi. Don't have wifi in my garage so I guess no new maps for me?

Man I wish they would add map/software update via USB somehow...

Sorry if this was mentioned before, is there a way to force an update? I am still on 2018.36.1 for some reason. The LTE connection is fine.
Got recently a message on the MCU that I am running old version of the maps and that they can only be updated via wifi. Don't have wifi in my garage so I guess no new maps for me?

Just remember a previous version before the version V9 doesn't update via LTE I have the same problem when I passed the version I contact my Sc they tell me the version try 3 times tu updates when failed they not continue please make a wifi connexion and call you SC to push the update normally 5 minutes after you receive the update and 1-2 hours later the message for the update on you screen.

Nope, no way to force an update.

And without current maps some features, like NavOnAP, won't work. You can visit a Tesla service center and get on their WiFi network, or you can setup a WiFi hotspot with your phone. (But be aware that the map updates are ~5GB.)

• Informative
Reactions: Maniac

And without current maps some features, like NavOnAP, won't work. You can visit a Tesla service center and get on their WiFi network, or you can setup a WiFi hotspot with your phone. (But be aware that the map updates are ~5GB.)
Hmmm. I've tried using my phones hotspot before but since I need my phone with me it's not that effective.

I also got myself one of those USB LTE dongles. I have a micro-sim for it and have a data-plan of around 16GB per month. But since it uses in-car usb ports to power itself, it loses power when the car goes idle... can't catch a break here... :p

Hmmm. I've tried using my phones hotspot before but since I need my phone with me it's not that effective.

I also got myself one of those USB LTE dongles. I have a micro-sim for it and have a data-plan of around 16GB per month. But since it uses in-car usb ports to power itself, it loses power when the car goes idle... can't catch a break here... :p

You should be able to use either of those while you are driving. But maybe you don't drive for long enough periods of time.

You could hook your USB LTE dongle into a USB power bank so that it stays awake even when the car goes to sleep... (I don't know if setting the climate controls to stay on keeps the USB ports powered or not, I think does...)

Sentry mode won't - you don't have the hardware to make it possible, and even AP2 cars may not get it.
Tesla web page for sentry mode states it is available for cars built after Aug 2017, so AP2.5+. Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

Slight disappointment if so, recording video while parked should not require assumed dashcam redundacy.

Anyhow, the game is on on who is the first to break their own car window to test the alarm mode with music.

• Funny
Reactions: hybridbear
Tesla web page for sentry mode states it is available for cars built after Aug 2017, so AP2.5+. Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

Slight disappointment if so, recording video while parked should not require assumed dashcam redundacy.

Anyhow, the game is on on who is the first to break their own car window to test the alarm mode with music.

Maybe you can get the same result by leaving windows down on a car with the motion sensor refit they offered a couple months ago and leaning in?

Tesla service can upload an update if there's a legitimate need or the car is stuck on a version way behind the fleet. For obvious reasons they don't want to be called by everyone who wants a new toy. :(

According to your signature, you have AP1 at best, if at all. I thought AP came end of 2014. But I may be wrong.

AP1 was on cars starting right around the beginning of the last quarter of 2014 - in late September threads started asking about the odd hardware on cars seen at service centers and I believe the announcement was in early October.

AP2 showed up just over two years later, in October of 2016.