Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if Sentry mode activated at least the music/noise and the screen notice for AP2 and lower cars, even if they are not capable of recording Video. At first glance, an AP2 car looks exactly the same as an AP2.5 car, car burglars would not know the difference and It could help serve as a deterrent.

I think it's more about the processing power to chew through the camera feeds and find things than it is the ability to record video - AP2.5 went to a more capable water cooled processor, right?

Without that running analysis on the camera inputs continuously, AP2 won't know when to trigger the alerts...

I think it's more about the processing power to chew through the camera feeds and find things than it is the ability to record video - AP2.5 went to a more capable water cooled processor, right?

Without that running analysis on the camera inputs continuously, AP2 won't know when to trigger the alerts...
That is not quite what I was going for, sentry mode is not part of actually triggering the alarm. All cars are alarmed, and with the motion detection upgrade available to all cars is more robust. It would be nice if they mimiced what a AP2.5 car would do even if it is an AP2.0 car (which lacks the processing power I guess to record video). A would be burglar may decide to bolt rather than think he was caught on video.

That is not quite what I was going for, sentry mode is not part of actually triggering the alarm. All cars are alarmed, and with the motion detection upgrade available to all cars is more robust. It would be nice if they mimiced what a AP2.5 car would do even if it is an AP2.0 car (which lacks the processing power I guess to record video). A would be burglar may decide to bolt rather than think he was caught on video.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but AFAIK Sentry Mode is doing motion and/or object location/recognition analysis against some of the AP cameras to identify when to trigger the alarm - and that's what AP2 (and earlier) cars can't do.

You'll get an alert when the car alarm is set off on any Tesla, and I'm not sure the loud music is much addition to the horn honking, but they could do that for you.

The breakins folks have been experiencing haven't been setting off the alarm so far I believe.

Naturally, the interior motion sensor is a logical upgrade for anyone concerned with the situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jan Fiala
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but AFAIK Sentry Mode is doing motion and/or object location/recognition analysis against some of the AP cameras to identify when to trigger the alarm - and that's what AP2 (and earlier) cars can't do.

You'll get an alert when the car alarm is set off on any Tesla, and I'm not sure the loud music is much addition to the horn honking, but they could do that for you.

The breakins folks have been experiencing haven't been setting off the alarm so far I believe.

Naturally, the interior motion sensor is a logical upgrade for anyone concerned with the situation.

I am not sure, It is not clear, I personally understood sentry mode to be simply recording video if an intrusion was detected and that that cameras were not actually doing the detection (how could they? it would require some very sophisticated VP/AI to make the correct decision, I mean how do you distinguish between someone simply standing by your car vs someone looking in thinking about stealing something). I don't think there is any vision processing going on to determine if an intrusion is eminent.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I am not sure, It is not clear, I personally understood sentry mode to be simply recording video if an intrusion was detected and that that cameras were not actually doing the detection (how could they? it would require some very sophisticated VP/AI to make the correct decision, I mean how do you distinguish between someone simply standing by your car vs someone looking in thinking about stealing something). I don't think there is any vision processing going on to determine if an intrusion is eminent.

Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon. The processing to find people around the car and peering in/touching it/hanging out for longer than needed is less complicated than what AP does every day, but not simple.

Tesla specifically says that they are using the cameras, microphone, etc. Just load up a different NN into the AP computer.

What makes you think they aren't?

Maybe this:

B23504BE-A8F8-4E43-B9E4-695BBFC59F76.jpeg

How does that indicate that they are using the AP computer for monitoring the cameras?

There are two reasons people have come up with for why AP2 cars don't have Dashcam or Sentry mode:
  1. AP2.5+ have an extra SOC chip that can do the video encoding.
  2. The cameras on AP2 cars have different filters that don't lend themselves to be being viewed by humans.
So even an upgrade to the AP3 hardware isn't likely to resolve all of the issues that prevent them on AP2 cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
How does that indicate that they are using the AP computer for monitoring the cameras?

There are two reasons people have come up with for why AP2 cars don't have Dashcam or Sentry mode:
  1. AP2.5+ have an extra SOC chip that can do the video encoding.
  2. The cameras on AP2 cars have different filters that don't lend themselves to be being viewed by humans.
So even an upgrade to the AP3 hardware isn't likely to resolve all of the issues that prevent them on AP2 cars.
This is correct, unless they deem that when HW3 is fitted to cars when the first Partial Self Drive feature is rolled out requires a camera retrofit as well. This seems likely in my opinion. Red/Grey only cameras aren't ever going to be as good at recognition as full colour cameras.

This is correct, unless they deem that when HW3 is fitted to cars when the first Partial Self Drive feature is rolled out requires a camera retrofit as well. This seems likely in my opinion. Red/Grey only cameras aren't ever going to be as good at recognition as full colour cameras.

... all of which suggests to me that when the HW3 upgrades start happening the older cars are likely to be at the back of the queue...

... and of course the upgrade is only free for those who paid for FSD. Has anyone seen any numbers on just how many that is?

... if of course the upgrades ever happen at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Fiala