Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a FB post by the (a?) person that got this (in the Model 3 group) and he said he wasn’t Early Access. None of which makes sense after several days when one car has the release... that’s where all this info came from (besides the TeslaFi info).

Wondering if Tesla found some bug and stopped it coincidentally at the same second. Awful quick work...

I wish that there was an option to not auto-unfold the mirrors each time you walk by the car. I find that I constantly have the mirrors (and doors) auto unfolding and unlocking each time I pass by the vehicle. Would be good to have an option to only unfold if the driver's door has been opened. I know I can set to fold manually, but this would more of a pain.
Yep I've been wishing for this for ages as well. Worst part for me is when it's in a tight parking spot and I've reverse parked (99.9% of the time); as I walk towards the car, the mirror ALWAYS gets in my way making me have to squeeze past it. Who needs the mirrors unfolded while you're still out of the car?? They did that just to show off that the car acknowledges your presence. I think we're past that stage and would much prefer it unfolding when it's actually useful.

Well according to Elon on the earnings call AND tweets last week we should get THIS WEEK:

1: NOA without stalk confirmation
2: Advance Summon+
3: dog mode
4: Sentry Mode

Well it’s next week Elon. Where is our update. Oh yeah ....another Elon let down coming our way :(

Confused. On the ER, Elon said #1 and 2 would probably come "next month". Dog and Sentry mode he said would come this week.

Reactions: MP3Mike
:mad::mad:
Yep I've been wishing for this for ages as well. Worst part for me is when it's in a tight parking spot and I've reverse parked (99.9% of the time); as I walk towards the car, the mirror ALWAYS gets in my way making me have to squeeze past it. Who needs the mirrors unfolded while you're still out of the car?? They did that just to show off that the car acknowledges your presence. I think we're past that stage and would much prefer it unfolding when it's actually useful.

I concur. For me it’s a PITA getting between my Tesla and Land Rover with my backpack in my garage. The mirror unfolds right when I’m between the mirror of the LR and the Tesla... I either need to go quickly or carefully to avoid scratching either vehicle. And god forbid I need to unload a Costco run from the Tesla. Constantly handle retraction/presenting and mirror folding/unfolding is irritating not to mention unnecessary wear/tear on the mechanisms. I end up taking the fob out of my pocket to unload the vehicle. Automations are supposed to make life better not worse!! :mad:

Reactions: conman
If you disable passive entry for the S (which I have done, as it is considered a good security practice -- you can read about this on other threads), your problem will be solved. The door handles and mirror folding/unfolding will not occur from your passing to-and-fro near the car. You will, however, be required to use the key fob to get the door handles to present and mirrors to unfold when you want to enter the vehicle, and if you wish to lock the car before the "lock on walk-away" does it. I can't speak to the situation for the Model 3.

Reactions: aerodyne
I don't think i have ever seen a
Confused. On the ER, Elon said #1 and 2 would probably come "next month". Dog and Sentry mode he said would come this week.

Earnings call 1-30-19

In a few weeks, we'll be pushing update that will allow the option of removing stock confirmed”

However....we all know Elon is on his own clock and calendar so a “few” indeed will probably mean ~2020+

(1-22-19) Advanced Summon has been AHhhummm “been approved by regulators” and is almost ready to roll out

Again “almost ready to roll out as of 1-22-19. So.....~2020 as well maybe?

Last edited:
I wish that there was an option to not auto-unfold the mirrors each time you walk by the car. I find that I constantly have the mirrors (and doors) auto unfolding and unlocking each time I pass by the vehicle. Would be good to have an option to only unfold if the driver's door has been opened. I know I can set to fold manually, but this would more of a pain.
This behavior was introduced about a year ago, you can look back in threads. Prior to that mirrors would unfold when you stepped on the brake. I concur with the PITA of the current behavior. It seems like an easy thing to fix.

Before 2017.34, the mirrors only unfolded once you opened the door. It would be nice if they brought that functionality back or made it a selectable option.

When I first heard of the geo-location folding mirrors, it thought it sounded great. Then I read about it and found it is the opposite of what I want. I don't want the mirrors folding in when I'm at home.

On the mirrors, can anyone confirm that if they are folded in and you drive off that once you get above a certain speed they are supposed to automatically fold out? I don't have them automatically fold in so sometimes I do manually fold them depending on the parking spot. I know a few times I've then driven off and noticed they did not unfold themselves.

On the mirrors, can anyone confirm that if they are folded in and you drive off that once you get above a certain speed they are supposed to automatically fold out? I don't have them automatically fold in so sometimes I do manually fold them depending on the parking spot. I know a few times I've then driven off and noticed they did not unfold themselves.
If you have them folded, they always unfold between 30 and 31 MPH (don’t know if this is some precise KPH or what). Many have reported this and it does so on both our cars. Obviously location folding/unfolding like homelink geolocation would be preferable as you may not immediately be over 30 MPH.

As for this 2019.4 functionality, we have two cars that need the mirrors folded for entering the garage and when inside, so we want this exactly. No more stopping in the driveway to fold the mirrors and (on the way out, after outside, doing the same or waiting until 30 MPH for auto unfold).

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
I once thought about that, but I presume you are talking about the model without auto-presenting doors. With auto-presenting doors, they are going to open when you walk by and then of course the mirrors unfold as well.