Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We certainly don't need each intermediate version, I went straight from 48.12.2 to 50.7, but I expect they would continue to roll out the most recent release cleared for general distribution until the next release is cleared for general distribution while they do a limited rollout on the latest version that isn't cleared for general distribution.

Yeah, that would make sense, but if you look at TeslaFi's firmware tracker, the majority of vehicles are being upgraded to 2018.50.X and not 2019.5.X, which is the latest release which contains the newest features. Seems like it would make more sense just to upgrade folks to the latest.

How does one determine the manufacturing date of the car? My bill of sale and title don't give me any idea when the car was manufactured. Since I took ownership on September 30, 2017 it's more than likely the car was manufactured prior to September 1.

I took delivery Sep 16 2017, my x rolled off the line AUG 2017. It has HW 2.5. When you ordered, if your rep found a car not yet listed online in the public website, you might have received a fresh off the line car like line with AP2.5. AP2.5 also had a short period of “calibration,” where they temporarily suspended auto emergency braking, you should have received an email in that same time period. If you have that email, also likely you have 2.5.

Well then it really makes no sense why they don't allow everyone to download the updates and do it via USB.

Because it becomes a security vulnerability.
Once a person has hands on the code that easily, it can be altered and then injected without much difficulty.

This would allow a person to run around with a malware version and inject it in any tesla he can get his hands on.

Not saying its not possible right now to do it, but its sure of a lot more labor intensive to inject bad code into a tesla.

Also allowing the end user to do stuff like that can lead to more problems with people bricking there cars.
People brick there cell phones all the time by custom injecting new builds, or jail breaking them.

As much as i would love to jail brick my car, and have it do more stuff, i know at the same time if i were brick that car, i would probably end up crying and ranting making things more difficult to tesla.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Because it becomes a security vulnerability.
Once a person has hands on the code that easily, it can be altered and then injected without much difficulty.
Well it depends on how good Tesla is with security, should be very simple for them to perform something like a SHA-256 hash on the USB files before installing. The hash validation side could be performed via 3G/WiFi, but the actual install files are on USB.
I understand where you are coming from but there is secure solutions to the issue of allowing the files to be downloaded.

Well it depends on how good Tesla is with security, should be very simple for them to perform something like a SHA-256 hash on the USB files before installing. The hash validation side could be performed via 3G/WiFi, but the actual install files are on USB.
I understand where you are coming from but there is secure solutions to the issue of allowing the files to be downloaded.

I think your really giving too much credit to your Tegra processor in your MCU1 and the Atom processor in the MCU2.
LOL, if it was that powerful, then we wouldnt see that darn, "Systems are powering up" on the MCU2, and we wouldnt of required a CPU upgrade from the Tegra.

Signed code/binary distribution has been a solved problem for decades.

lol... no you see the moment you think that is secure, the moment you lost horribly in the game of "the younger generation always finds a way to break something" game. Being honest here, you give someone code, and a means to extract the key, that key now works on all the code unless Tesla wants to keep hard writing new keys.

If people can crack Denuvo DRMs in PC Gaming, which game makers spends 100's of millions to make uncrackable but fail horribly, there is nothing Tesla can do to prevent crackers from cracking a code given to them in a downloadable form via USB.

Reactions: Doctt
lol... no you see the moment you think that is secure, the moment you lost horribly in the game of "the younger generation always finds a way to break something" game. Being honest here, you give someone code, and a means to extract the key, that key now works on all the code unless Tesla wants to keep hard writing new keys.

Why would you encrypt with embedded keys when you can just sign the firmware files from a central service before the car will install it, a la Apple’s IPSW signing for iOS? We’re not talking about static media here like DVDs or BluRays that need to be readable by offline devices.

I get that nothing is secure, everything can be broken given enough time, money, and human error. But I see close to zero additional risk associated with distributing firmware from a download site vs. the current arrangement.

The month/year should be on a sticker in the driver's door jamb area.

Thanks for the fast reply, but the only sticker there is the Tire and Loading label. Nothing on the passenger side.

I think the month/year is in one of the corners of that tire and loading label.

The only number I see on this label is 210621 and it appears next to the small Tesla logo. While it is 6 digits, the 1st 2 numbers as a 'year' don't make sense.

On the sticker there is: E4*2007/46*0667 + VIN + weight. Does it mean that my car was build on week 46 of 12 years ago?!?!?!?!

It's at the top left corner in this picture, 11/16:
20190114_171119~2.jpg

-> November 2016 :)
But in Switzerland we don't have this kind of sticker. We just see the information for tires ! I believe this sticker is used only for US cars.

North American cars to be more accurate; not sure about Australia.

Interesting, Let's see a picture of a Euro label.

(Sorry Bruce, I know it has nothing to do with a software update :oops:)

Last edited: